What's new

Adding water, a seemingly simple question.

I have a seemingly simple question. When face lathering with a soap, after the initial loading of the brush on the puck, how do you all add water to the brush when the lather is still too dry? Do you hold your brush under a dripping faucet? Or use some small bowl with water to dip your brush in? Or any other method?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not have a sink or bowl of water during the shave. To add water I place the tips of the brush on the bottom of the sink and then gently turn on the tap (faucet) so a small amount of water is added to the brush, but only to the tips. I find that a more controlled way to add water. A small bowl to dip the tips would work just as well.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I formerly used my fingers by holding them under the running water and letting the water drip off my fingertips onto the brush. That worked well and provided a great deal of control. But I find I can accomplish the same thing by letting the water from the faucet run at a small trickle and then control the water content by how long the brush passes under the tiny stream.

Dipping the tips works very well, but I found myself too often picking up too much water. Try everything and decide what works best for you.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I understand. But doesn't that initially give lots of frothy water and basically a mess when you load from a puck?
For me it depends on the soap. Have you tried the Marco Method. Link below:

For me it depends on the soap. Have you tried the Marco Method. Link below:
Yes but I find it far too messy and don't need a whole lot of lather, just enough for a daily single pass and touch ups. I rather start with a dryish brush.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Dip the brush tips into running water from the faucet.
This. I don’t even worry about how much water is coming from the faucet, it’s always more than a trickle. The amount of soap I lose doing this way has never affected my shave. I will add that I prefer a super slick hydrated, but not runny, lather. I don’t necessarily try for thick yogurt like lather, if that’s what your looking for I’d try dipping brush tips in a bowl, much more control that way.

Last edited:
I usually have a sink with water in the bottom, used to initially splash face with hot water etc. I then dip the tips of the brush in water when I need to hydrate the lather.

Usually, I will start with a damp brush, squeezed to get the bulk of water out, load soap and lather on face. I then dip the tips and hydrate one side, dip and hydrate other side and then repeat so both sides get two tip dips each.

I have a seemingly simple question. When face lathering with a soap, after the initial loading of the brush on the puck, how do you all add water to the brush when the lather is still too dry? Do you hold your brush under a dripping faucet? Or use some small bowl with water to dip your brush in? Or any other method?

I try to avoid this issue as much as possible by figuring out how much water to use with a given soap and brush. But to more directly answer your question, I guess I just use water from the faucet.

I found that dipping the tips into a mug either picks up too much or too little water. I have used a small spray bottle(50ml maybe) to add water while lathering, bowl and face as well. I.e.: 3-5 presses onto the puck before loading helps the initial stage, and you can start with a dryer brush and add water this way onto the puck, then keep on loading. it works similarly on the face, a couple of presses to each cheek or side of the neck (the one you are on). it is not even cumbersome, as you can have the bottle in one hand and the brush in the other. it is faster than dipping the brush.

Or use some small bowl with water to dip your brush in? Or any other method?
I do that with synthetic knots. A quick light dip, just to wet the soap.
With boar and badger I let some water drip from my fingers, as needed. I don't do that with synthetics because with them the water would run to the base of the knot.

Top Bottom