What's new

Acidic Coffee from Drip Machines, Any alternatives?

Since I started buying good coffee I have always made it in an Aeropress and it is wonderful, every cup, every time. The only downside is the amount of coffee it takes to make a single cup, so lately I've been making it in drip machine. I notice the coffee doesn't taste quite as good but I can live with that, but there is a lot of acid so much that it's really aggravating my acid reflux so much that I don't want to drink it at all and I'm sick to my stomach for hours. So is there another method of making coffee (other than an Aeropress) where it wouldn't upset my stomach?
Would a vacuum pot be a possibility?

Thanks all!

Which drip machine? Pretty much anything but a Technivorm will extract at too low a temperature, which may cause the problems you are having. One trick I have seen floating around is to use pre-heated water in your drip machine, which makes it easier for the under-powered heaters to get the water to 200 degrees.

A vacuum pot is an excellent option as well. Also, don't forget the cheap simplicity of a pour-over cone. They make dynamite coffee, and you can easily get the temperature correct.

Coffee by any method can get more acid if you don't use enough. Try adding another tbsp. The idea is that if you try to make the grounds go too far, you start sucking the bitter stuff out of them.

I don't usually have a problem with my cuisinart drip machine, haven't had any complaints about the acidity. I agree with ScottS, how many tbsp are you using per cup?

You might want to try a cold brewer too like the Toddy brewer. It's the least acidic way to make coffee there is and recommended for those with acid reflux. It makes strong, flavorful, less bitter tasting coffee but on the downside, anything you brew kinda tastes the same. It makes really awesome iced coffee if you use it undiluted over ice with milk.

Try a French-press.
  • 1 minute for the grounds to initially steep in the just-off-boiling water;
  • 4-seconds to stir the grounds;
  • 3-4 minutes for the grounds to steep again; then
  • Plunge;
  • Pour; and
  • Partake!
It's so easy, even a caveman can do it!

Still, YMMV.

I would agree that there are big differences in the acidity as you try different beans. Are you sure its the acidity and not the caffeine that's giving you the problem?

Also, what level of roast are you normally brewing in your drip pot?

It's medium roasted coffee from Ristretto Roasters.

I don't think it's the beans. I am very sensitive to acid reflux and I think using a drip maker is enough to push me over the edge.

Top Bottom