What's new

Acevivi Dual-Comb Razor Review

I received my new Acevivi razor yesterday, the delivery time of 19 days was quite reasonable considering we're all used to waiting nearer to 4 weeks for delivery from China.
The price was quite reasonable too - as near as dammit €9 with free delivery from China to Spain.
I bought mine on eBay, but they are also available on Amazon.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/371675067145?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The razor looks to be more expensive than it cost, the handle nice and solid, a nice weight, nicely knurled with a nice pattern very good fit and finish absolutely spotless with no sign of uneven chrome plating. The threads inside the handle are the right colour to be copper alloy - aka brass.
The head looks like it's more than likely to be our old friend Zamak, but I was fully expecting that anyway. Negativity on an Amazon review said that it was chromed plastic - either he was wrong, or Acevivi have learned from their mistakes.
The baseplate is concave which cuts down on weight, and from a business point of view probably saves a small fortune on metal !!
The cap has the logo etched on it nice and evenly, I commented on another thread that it looked blurred, but that was my bad - what I thought was a smudge above the "i" is a motif !!
The head fits nice and snugly with little or no blade play.
I tried the head with some of my handles, and tried the handle with some of my razor heads, but it looks far better as is.
The generic blades are very thin and flexible, I got a good shave with one tonight, but the blade is nothing special, so I don't think I'll bother with using the rest.

Wednesday is my night out, so instead of a morning shave, I waited until the evening, I had 35 hour's worth of stubble to shave
I prepped up with my usual hot towel
My choice of soap was Proraso Green Soap
I face lathered with my old reliable Chinese made horsehair brush
Due to the heatwave, tonight was my first shave with cool lukewarm water - and very refreshing it was too !!
It took a bit of getting used to only using one edge before swilling off the razor, but it felt natural after a few strokes.

Open Comb
Pass #1 - WTG - I was expecting a very aggressive shave, but it was very smooth and comfortable, even in the sensitive areas like the philtrum and corners of my mouth, stubble seemed to melt
Pass #2 - XTG - Very enjoyable, no tugging or dragging, I knew this was going to be a keeper

Scalloped Safety Bar
Pass #3 - ATG - Very smooth and comfortable, medium/mild, no tugging or dragging. Corners of my mouth, philtrum and nostrils dealt with very effortlessly.
S-N Buffing - just getting rid of the stubborn bristles below the jawline and on the neck, no great difficulty here
N-S Buffing - Very easy and smooth

Considering it was a stock blade, I was very pleasantly surprised with the results.
Not BBS, but I'm used to that only happening once in a blue moon. My face felt very smooth and more importantly no nicks, weepers or irritation.
I think I'll get some exceptional shaves with a decent blade

We all know that the Chinese are good at making entry level razors, or inexpensive beaters to toss into a travel bag - Micro Touch One and Weishi TTO's and Baili or Junjie Tech-style razors, nothing fancy, but well made and more than fit for purpose.

Now it looks like the Chinese have made a very good high end razor for a very reasonable price.
If the same razor was made under the Acevivi badge in Europe or USA, people wouldn't be surprised if it cost twice as much
Or if a recognised manufacturer put their name to this razor, it would be a very high class razor.

Worth every cent - just wait 'til they start selling them at a higher price

A few photos
I still think that the back of the baseplate viewed with the open comb at the top looks a bit like Bart Simpson gone wrong :lol: lol

View attachment 676833View attachment 676834 $20160726_103754.jpg$20160726_104020.jpg$20160726_104007.jpg

Top Bottom