What's new

AC Blades

I was hoping people would be willing to share their AC blade experience. I've tried only 3, including the Schick Proline, the Feather Pro and the Pro Super. I haven't yet found a Feather blade, DE or AC that I can get along with, so for now I'm sticking with the Proline. I've ordered some Kai pink since they seem to get some love around here. I've never tried a guarded blade, but I don't think they'd fit my Paradigm razor. That's the extent of my knowledge on AC blades.

I was hoping people would be willing to share their AC blade experience. I've tried only 3, including the Schick Proline, the Feather Pro and the Pro Super. I haven't yet found a Feather blade, DE or AC that I can get along with, so for now I'm sticking with the Proline. I've ordered some Kai pink since they seem to get some love around here. I've never tried a guarded blade, but I don't think they'd fit my Paradigm razor. That's the extent of my knowledge on AC blades.
I generally find the Kai blades to be smoother than Feather equivalents. I don’t have any experience with Paradigm, but this has been the case for me with the Vector and Hawk razors.

I tend to stick to the Proline and Kai pink blades. These work in all the razors I have tried from a Mongoose to the WR4. Feather blades are a little rougher and need a few shaves to smooth out and still aren't as good as the Proline and Kai. Not really a fan of guarded blades but do sometimes use the Protouch MG.

I find the Kai AC blades to be smoother than Feathers. To me, the Prolines are a tiny bit harsh. My favorite AC blades are the Kai Protouch MG and the Kai Blue which can be hard to find; it fits between the Pink and the Red in their lineup.

Here's the AC razors I have experience with -

Atelier Durdan La Faulx
Razorock V3 Hawk and Hawk-A
Blackland Vector (sold)
Asylum Rx-V2 (sold)
Alpha Claymore Evolution (sold)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I gave the Prolines several chances, but they were always rough for me.

I’m ok with the Feather ProGuards, but if I’m going to use a guarded blades, I still prefer the Kai Protouch blades.

I just changed my overall preference to the Kai Titan Mild Pinks after another round of testing. The last time I did extensive testing was around two years ago.

Well, I have 5 shaves in on a Kai Mild, and while it's been comfy, it seems to be at the end of its life already. Just one blade, I know, but I don't think these last as long as the Prolines. Anyone have a similar experience?

Well, I have 5 shaves in on a Kai Mild, and while it's been comfy, it seems to be at the end of its life already. Just one blade, I know, but I don't think these last as long as the Prolines. Anyone have a similar experience?
That's been my experience with the Kai. Although, I have a pretty demanding beard profile and a tendency to not stretch out a blade's life if the performance has noticeably degraded.

Separately, I am close to closing out a run of sessions with the difficult to source Kai Select Premium guarded AC blade. I normally don't use guarded blades, but this one has proven to be highly comfortable and smooth, with only a modest reduction in efficiency. The only downside is possibly blade life, at least for my needs. Hoping to get at least 6 uses but need a couple of more shaves to confirm.

I'm also not a fan of Feather blades in the DE form factor. I've read here in the forums and have been aware from my experiences with other types of sharps, i.e.: knives, running the edge along a "soft" surface can have a tempering effect on the sharpness. When sharpening knives you might remove a burr, in some cases, by running the edge very lightly, essentially under its own weight, along the edge of a 2"x4" for instance.

Given you've made an investment in blades that you may not continue to use, perhaps try running the edge of the blade along the corner or the middle of a natural wine cork. The density and resistance of the cork may temper/change the blade characterics enough so that you might end up having a more passable, perhaps even more enjoyable experience and not have the investment be a complete disappointment.

How much pressure you use and the number of times you pass the edge along the cork will invariably deliver different results.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used Feather professionals, Schick proline and the Kai Captain titian mild and Kai Protouch (all 50mm blades) and my conclusion of the three are the Kai are my preferred blades, then Schick proline and Feather pro.
The Kai mild has slightly better longevity over the other blades in certain razors it seems also. Kai could have better metallurgical metal or better heat treatment??
I bought my blades on sale at Razorock for reasonable prices I thought if that matters to some folks.
If a person finds their AC type razor or shavette aggressive I strongly suggest using a Kai Protouch or Feather proguard because it helps the blade from digging into the skin or flesh(it glances the blade), it might still bite sometimes but it sure is more comfortable a shave when this Greenhorn was using my Shavette.
(Some old archived photos of a Kai Protouch on my skin for references of it's unique design.)
YY Kai Protouch guarded AC blade.jpg YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 3.jpg YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

I have used Feather professionals, Schick proline and the Kai Captain titian mild and Kai Protouch (all 50mm blades) and my conclusion of the three are the Kai are my preferred blades, then Schick proline and Feather pro.
The Kai mild has slightly better longevity over the other blades in certain razors it seems also. Kai could have better metallurgical metal or better heat treatment??
I bought my blades on sale at Razorock for reasonable prices I thought if that matters to some folks.
If a person finds their AC type razor or shavette aggressive I strongly suggest using a Kai Protouch or Feather proguard because it helps the blade from digging into the skin or flesh(it glances the blade), it might still bite sometimes but it sure is more comfortable a shave when this Greenhorn was using my Shavette.
(Some old archived photos of a Kai Protouch on my skin for references of it's unique design.)
View attachment 1845250 View attachment 1845251 View attachment 1845252
Have some great shaves!
Seems like you'd end up with little rows of unshaven whiskers.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Seems like you'd end up with little rows of unshaven whiskers.
Not really because I do 2 passes with cleanup pass if needed. They are very impressive blades IMO and are widely used by folks here also on B&B.

Top Bottom