What's new

About PJ2 Super

Hello, I've been hearing much about the popularity of the PJ2 Supers. I've recently narrowed my shaving rig down in a huge way. I own one brush, one razor, and a few creams. I used to have tons of stuff. My sole brush is a Chubby 1 Best. I'm used to using a Chubby 2 Super. My Chubby 1 is great, but I keep hearing about those PJ2s and how great and versatile they are.

For you guys that own and swear by these brushes, how do many of you use them in terms of lathering? Do you lather in a bowl and paint the lather on the face or do you dip the brush into the pot of cream and go straight to the face? Also, Simpsons bristle varies from brush to brush especially in the Super grades. How does the bristle in the PJ2 Super compare to other Simpson Supers? I'd really like to try one out to see if it beats my Chubby 1 Best. Something tells me that the PJ2 will be a bit more user friendly. Also, these brushes are not as dense as most Simpsons I think. How do they compare to the Chubbys, Tulips, Polos... Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Marion

marshiano said:
Hello, I've been hearing much about the popularity of the PJ2 Supers. I've recently narrowed my shaving rig down in a huge way. I own one brush, one razor, and a few creams. I used to have tons of stuff. My sole brush is a Chubby 1 Best. I'm used to using a Chubby 2 Super. My Chubby 1 is great, but I keep hearing about those PJ2s and how great and versatile they are.

For you guys that own and swear by these brushes, how do many of you use them in terms of lathering? Do you lather in a bowl and paint the lather on the face or do you dip the brush into the pot of cream and go straight to the face? Also, Simpsons bristle varies from brush to brush especially in the Super grades. How does the bristle in the PJ2 Super compare to other Simpson Supers? I'd really like to try one out to see if it beats my Chubby 1 Best. Something tells me that the PJ2 will be a bit more user friendly. Also, these brushes are not as dense as most Simpsons I think. How do they compare to the Chubbys, Tulips, Polos... Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Marion

Marion,
I have a Duke 3 in best - which is basically a Chubby #1 in best (same size, density, hair grade, etc) and let me tell you - the PJ2 is quite a step up in the luxury department. The PJ2 will adorn you with a similar scrubbing action, albeit much softer/more luxurious, as the hair is both softer, and longer, thus giving the brush more flex. The PJ2 is quite a dense brush for the size of the knot, but alas the "length" of the hair give the feel/impression of a "looser" knot, which is a great combo, as it is not floppy in the slightest, but it is also not absurdly stiff/ridgid like a chubby. A PJ is going to have a softer super badger than that of the polo/chubby or even tulip, but it is packed denser than the tulip in my opinion.

As far as how I lather - any way I am in the mood for basically. The PJ2 is superb at lathering in a bowl, directly on your face, on a cake of soap, few swirls on the cake, then build on the face, etc. It is the most tractable and versatile shaving brush out there in my personal opinion.

I think one of the best ways to describe a PJ2 is a slightly smaller version of a Kent BK8, that has more ummph to it (as far as density/stifness, etc) a more comfortable handle, and better build quality. The PJ3 can be a little floppy, and can be a touch too big for more versatile use - so I would stay with the PJ2, as so far I have not heard of a SINGLE individual who has owned a current Simpson PJ2 and disliked it.

They are pretty incredible... if you purchase one and don't like it - I am sure you will have no problem selling it. In fact... pm me if you buy one and don't lik e it, as I would probably buy/trade for it.

I am just waiting on Lee....for my PJ2, but I did just win a vintage PL8 on Ebay. Any thoughts on this brush guys.....Joel...anyone? I am not shure i it is in super or what.
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
I am just waiting on Lee....for my PJ2, but I did just win a vintage PL8 on Ebay. Any thoughts on this brush guys.....Joel...anyone? I am not shure i it is in super or what.
Cheers, DJ.

Im waiting as well ...ahhhh I hate waiting.

Dinder1 said:
Cheers, DJ.

Looks like a mighty nice brush. Personally I am not a fan of the polo line in the slightest. In fact - I once tried to sell a Polo 12 Super (still have the thing) which is like a $350 brush - and I didn't get so much as a bite.

I've had the polo 10 and 12.... didn't care for either. To each their own though.

I recently sold my Chubby 1 Best and replaced it with a PJ2 Best. It turned out to be one of the best brush decisions I've made. I had been unhappy with the CH1; to me the very short, very dense bristles made it a very poor performer. Of the four Simpsons I've tried, the PJ2, with its longer and seemingly slightly less dense bristles, is the first to produce and transfer lather effortlessly for me. This is the way a high end should brush work IMO. I even prefer it to my Tulip 3 (super), which, while a very fine brush, tends to want to hold on to that lather. I've also discovered I prefer the Simpsons hair in Best. It's softer than Super, yet still plenty firm.

I got my PJ2 in two days from Emily for $115.

John

My PJ Super is a 3, not a 2, but I have had nothing but great results with it.

In fact, I read posts about problems that guys have with their brushes, making lather, transferring the lather from brush to face, etc., and I just can't offer any advice, because I just don't have any troubles with this brush. It works great, feels great and looks great.

Buy one, now. No, get 2!:tongue:

joel said:
Marion,
I have a Duke 3 in best - which is basically a Chubby #1 in best (same size, density, hair grade, etc) and let me tell you - the PJ2 is quite a step up in the luxury department. The PJ2 will adorn you with a similar scrubbing action, albeit much softer/more luxurious, as the hair is both softer, and longer, thus giving the brush more flex. The PJ2 is quite a dense brush for the size of the knot, but alas the "length" of the hair give the feel/impression of a "looser" knot, which is a great combo, as it is not floppy in the slightest, but it is also not absurdly stiff/ridgid like a chubby. A PJ is going to have a softer super badger than that of the polo/chubby or even tulip, but it is packed denser than the tulip in my opinion.

As far as how I lather - any way I am in the mood for basically. The PJ2 is superb at lathering in a bowl, directly on your face, on a cake of soap, few swirls on the cake, then build on the face, etc. It is the most tractable and versatile shaving brush out there in my personal opinion.

I think one of the best ways to describe a PJ2 is a slightly smaller version of a Kent BK8, that has more ummph to it (as far as density/stifness, etc) a more comfortable handle, and better build quality. The PJ3 can be a little floppy, and can be a touch too big for more versatile use - so I would stay with the PJ2, as so far I have not heard of a SINGLE individual who has owned a current Simpson PJ2 and disliked it.

They are pretty incredible... if you purchase one and don't like it - I am sure you will have no problem selling it. In fact... pm me if you buy one and don't lik e it, as I would probably buy/trade for it.

Nice description, Joel. Makes me want to order one right now. :biggrin:

I notice that most comments here about Simpsons seem to point to the PJ2 as the Simpson most everyone loves; quite possibly the 'sweet spot'. I have seen very little on the forums about the PJ3. There must be more to the difference than the larger size alone; perhaps the size of the knot actually alters the 'feel' of the brush on one's face. Maybe someone can comment on the PJ2 versus the PJ3.

I really need another brush...it's been almost two weeks since one came in the mail! :rolleyes:

greendyk said:
I recently sold my Chubby 1 Best and replaced it with a PJ2 Best. It turned out to be one of the best brush decisions I've made. I had been unhappy with the CH1; to me the very short, very dense bristles made it a very poor performer. Of the four Simpsons I've tried, the PJ2, with its longer and seemingly slightly less dense bristles, is the first to produce and transfer lather effortlessly for me. This is the way a high end should brush work IMO. I even prefer it to my Tulip 3 (super), which, while a very fine brush, tends to want to hold on to that lather. I've also discovered I prefer the Simpsons hair in Best. It's softer than Super, yet still plenty firm.

I got my PJ2 in two days from Emily for $115.

John
I find the chubby 1's are very difficult to master when you first get one. I've persevered, and I have to tell you that after 5-6 months, this baby really makes some nice cream. If you still have it....keep it around--it will be worth it in the end.

Randy,

Love the Mark Twain quote. I'm going to open mine anyway and hope I don't sound foolish.

IMO having to persevere for 5 month before mastering a Chubby 1 means the design is flawed, the flaw being the combination of extreme shortness, denseness, and stiffness. With all the wonderful choices out there, I'd rather use brushes that work great right out of the box (e.g. the PJ2). Also, my initial fixation on Simpsons' has passed, as I'm realizing there's a lot of quality and value available in the shaving brush world beyond.

Regards,
John

No, no, no. . .please remain fixated on the Simpsons! That's the goal of all this, right? To be fixated on stuff?!?!:tongue:

Hey Mitch,

Trust me, I'm still plenty fixated! I'm up to 8 brushes, plus a lifetime supply of creams and soaps! I've tried 4 Simpsons, still own a PJ2 and Tulip 3; these have lived up to the great reputation, while the Polo 8 and Chubby 1 IMO did not. My current brush obsessions are the high end Omegas, Meuhle-Pinsels, and Savile Rows.

Regards,
John

John,
No doubt the Chubby 1 takes some getting used to. What I was trying to say is that after a few months, my Chubby really began holding incredible amounts of water and generating thick profuse lather. Now, if you were able to get great lather in the beginning and the desgin of the brush was not for you--so be it...to each his own. I guess this is why there are so many different designs....hmmmm which one to purchase next :biggrin: .

Randy,

I probably should have give the Chubby more time. I'll admit patience is not one of my strong points. As to what brush is next, I'm not sure, but I do know I'm running out of room and already encroaching on the wife's shelf territory.

John

I have a PJ3 super and am not enamored of it. Too big (for me), and sprays lather everywhere but where you want it. Not nearly as luxurious as my other brushes in terms of softness and bristle character. It is OK enough, but hardly something to get excited about.

The PJ3 would probably be too big for my tastes too Scotto, as I do not like big brushes. The PJ2, however is a nice size, and a fine brush IMO. I am not a Simpsons worhipper; they build a very solid brush, but there are many others that function as well or better.

John

Boys, boys, boys. I'm disappointed. Worship of all things Simpsons is required here--no independent thinking allowed.

Top Bottom