What's new

ABC leather pocket set?

0F6A898D-18E8-4705-B91D-DAED6AD273CF.jpeg
D4822B47-08AA-4C44-AE21-B59C0E32EA27.jpeg
3588D18D-6AB8-4C49-B499-C62CA76A1007.jpeg
8A0ADC4B-1CCD-4688-A55C-691FBB7D6CDB.jpeg
Last week I bought this set. The razor is a abc shell with one ring in gold in good conditions. The case is made with brown leather and unfortunately is not in good conditions (I don’t known if to try a restoration or not).
I think this set is a ABC 505B (pigskin) pocket edition.
The first digit of the serial is not readible but it seems to me like the remains of the upper part of a”B”. The remaining numbers are 633822.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Andy

It’ a shell with single ring with uniform diameter for the entire length of the handle.

See the following thread:
Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

Andy ~

The Leather Covered Case, Model #505, with a Shell style razor handle exists in five model variations:

Model #505, is the basic black cowhide leather covered case, with a silver razor

Model #505A.S., is the black seal skin case, with a silver razor set

Model #505A.P., is the brown English pigskin case, with a silver razor set

Model #505B.S., is the black seal skin case, with a gold razor set

Model #505B.P., is the brown English pigskin case, with a gold razor set

It should be noted that black English pigskin cases are known to exist

Because they were covered in leather, very few of these rare leather covered sets have survived. Your's
is a very nice set, and is well worth having a professional leather shop make the minor repairs that it
deserves. The serial number is definitely a "B", as if it were a "D", it would date to 1916/1917, which is after the leather cases were discontinued. You have posted three very exceptional sets in the past few days. Where are they all coming from? I am envious....

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited:
kevin,

I'm a newby "collector" and in I fell in love with ABC razors (that are not so common in italy) and i started to search for some set. Three sets comes from ebay (italy) and from an italian vintage stuff website. The leather case set comes from ebay (uk, London). The seller posted terrible pictures and it was very difficult to identify the set: at the end I won the auction at a reasonable price (or at least I think so!!).
Now i'm looking for a couple of blades banks that are missing in my sets.

By the way... I don't know if you are interested only in gillette, but next week I will receive five NOS italian Benz sets that in my opinion are really beautiful razors (here the white resin version):

upload_2018-2-9_17-49-49.jpeg

By the way... I don't know if you are interested only in gillette, but next week I will receive five NOS italian Benz sets that in my opinion are really beautiful razors (here the white resin version)

I was not familiar with Benz, being a newbie to DE and collecting razors myself. That is a really good looking razor as is the ABC set as well!

Welcome to B&B Andy.

-Robby

image.jpg
C95020E0-934E-43F8-91AB-734B1BC42D12.jpeg
Last evening I showed the case to a friend of mine who own a leather lab and works for famous brands.
He observed that the lining could be easily removed and we took it out.
On the case, that seems to be wood, we found some imprinted numbers.
I know there are a lot of metal cases with missing lining and maybe someone of you own one of them.
I’m wondering if also on metal case there are some numbers.

WOW! What a gorgeous collection!!!
And the leather case seems in perfect condiction!!! I identify my own as a pigskin case because I knew that was the only case that you could find in brown and I didn't know nothing abot the black version! compliments!!
did you find the leather case isuch beautiful conditions?
andy

R

romsitsa

Hello Andy,

only wooden cases (ABC and 460) have that numbering. At least I couldn't find one in metal or combination cases.

Adam

Patience and cash is how you obtain the minty ones. Ha. They tend to cost 2-3 times what good condition ones cost and rarely come up for sale. I actually sold the one in the pic a year or 2 ago. I only have the other 2 sets shown plus a minty silver empire set. Most were obtained on the Bay except the caseless Shell Razor. That I actually found in an antique store for $15. O ya! One of 4 razors I have found. :) I gave up and shop online exclusively or trade/buy from friends I have made.

Top Bottom