What's new

A Week of Swedish Gillettes

After my week with the Derbys (which are not a blade I am fond of, YMMV), it was time to move on to the Swedish Gillettes.

Best shave ever. The combo of my Fat Boy on 3/5/7 (WTG/XTG/ATG) and one of these puppies gives me a BBS shave. But every razor I used them in (SuperSpeed and Pleese [a three-piece razor made in British Palestine just after WWII]) gave me a great shave.

In fact, this blade was the first one to disappoint in the SuperSpeed. The SS is my blade-taming razor, and it tamed this one a bit too much for my liking. Still a great shave, but nothing like the Nirvana achieved with my Fat Boy.

Honestly, this thing felt like butter going across my face. It took care of problem areas where my grain goes crazy without me needing to do fussy touch-ups. In short, I love this blade!!! :001_tt1:

Yes, they are a bit pricey and they are not available from any eBay seller I know of. Fortunately, I completed a trade with a fellow member from Europe and let's just say I have a stash of Swedish Gillettes to last me through enough shaves to maybe finish off some of my stash of creams and soaps.

On to the Feathers this week. The blades that show you whether you are a shaver, or a scraper. :biggrin:

I guess I'm going to have to go back and try these again. The first time out I got chewed up, but that could have been more about my lack of technique than the blade.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I find the IP's to be a good alternative to the Swedes. They're not as sharp, but very smooth.

The only blades I use are Derby's & Swedish G's...afetr trying Letterk's sample pack over many months those are the two that treat my face the best.

RFegards,

I use the 7am platinums, and the sharp stainless blades off ebay in my gillettes and get good results. My futur only likes feathers however. nicked me up pretty good when I tried a 7am blade in it. Gonna have to get a sample pack so I can try the swedish gillettes.
Clay

The past week was my Swedish Gilette week, too. I got some very good shaves, but there were several nicks and scrapes. More than I usually get with other blades.

Tim

The past week was my Swedish Gilette week, too. I got some very good shaves, but there were several nicks and scrapes. More than I usually get with other blades.

Tim

+2 I've used this blade for past 4 shaves and I get allot of nicks and razor burn. I find that I get a close shave but not with out pain. Derby’s have been the best as far as close and smooth shaves with out any nicks or razor burn. Could be my inexperience but for the price and hard to get I think I'm going to stick with Debry's.

Timm

In fact, this blade was the first one to disappoint in the SuperSpeed. The SS is my blade-taming razor, and it tamed this one a bit too much for my liking. Still a great shave, but nothing like the Nirvana achieved with my Fat Boy.

I'd be interested in whether a Feather blade is a good combination with your SS. The Gillettes are my favorite blade in all my adjustable Gillette razors, but the Feathers are better in my SS's (except for the red tip). Check it out & report back.

And glad you're finding out what's working for you.

jim

I'd be interested in whether a Feather blade is a good combination with your SS. The Gillettes are my favorite blade in all my adjustable Gillette razors, but the Feathers are better in my SS's (except for the red tip). Check it out & report back.

And glad you're finding out what's working for you.

jim

The SuperSpeed will be tested out Wed. or Thurs. with the Feather. I too will be interested in the results.

It's fun to experiment! Except when you nick yourself. :tongue_sm

the funny thing, i'm glad there is so much variation with all the equipment because for the past several months i find myself getting used to one setup and then switching up now and then when i get bored with the rig, but it makes it all exciting and i know what a great shave feels like so that's when i know i need to switch things up and not get stuck with one setup.

Swede's are my second favorite (after Derby). I would probably get a bunch of them and use them fairly often, if they weren't so dang expensive.

I went to the Feather fairly quickly and wasn't impressed by the Swedish Gillettes. Then I found I still had a pack, tried one, and have been very impressed. Quite a nice, smooth, close shave and not so apt to cut as the Feather, I think. Probably the difference is my technique, which has improved with practice.

Top Bottom