What's new

Hello from New York !!!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Are you in Cebu Philippines?
Not any more. I spent about 15 years based in Cebu. Move out after spending 12 months under 24/7 total curfew (not quarantine) due to my age and the pandemic. I doubt that I will ever return. 15 years was enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, Cebu and the Philippines is a wonderful country but there are also other places where I can and want to live.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Some great advice above! I would also suggest you check in with the guys on the straights forums.

Welcome to the forum. We enjoy having new members and with the fact you have been wet shaving for a while, you a step ahead.

As far as straight razor shaving, you must have a strop. Stropping is done before and/or after every shave. And when you are new to it the cost of honing can be a bit pricey at first because you can damage an edge easily. Even shaving wrong and especially stropping wrong will damage an edge. Then you will tell yourself, I can sharpen it. Honing takes many many months of practice to do properly. Sure you might make sharp, but keen and smooth takes a lot of dedication to learn. Learning how to use a straight at first is best. Then after that, you can buy stones and learn to hone. By then you will have many straights. They just seem to grow. lol.

So if you want to keep costs down with SR buy used, vintage from a member. it will be ready to shave with if they say it is. Not like buying from eBay or manufacturers like Dovo. Even they don't come shave ready from the factory. They will say they are but... buying from a vendor and paying extra for pro hand honing is best.

So stick with the DE razors. Learn and buy SE razors, Injectors are fun too. Or go for the straight. buy it, have it honed and buy a strop. That is the first step. Imo buying 2 straights is even better as you can keep shaving when you send one out for honing. And keep in mind it takes 100 shaves with a straight before you really understand what your doing. It's all up to you. Just keep in mind that learning the straight takes dedication and is not something you just try now and then. We have great members who will be happy to help you to learn all that is needed.

Jerry -

Thanks much for the Straight Edge info. I just acquired my first two straight edge blades from a worthy member here which looks to be in great condition and is decently nice looking. Its not Dovo or Theirs Asard, but they look great and it was at a decent price. Now what is required of me is acquiring a strop and oil. Not sure what to get yet with the stop and oil. The person who I purchased the blades from said he never really performed any honing from what I recall. I am not in a rush at the moment to jump into straight shaving. I think I will get into it in April or May, as I also acquired additional razors that I want to try. I also purchased additional shaving creams, shaving brushes and my first lather bowl.

Damn this hobby is making me spend money. I really need to find cheaper hobbies.

Jerry -

Thanks much for the Straight Edge info. I just acquired my first two straight edge blades from a worthy member here which looks to be in great condition and is decently nice looking. Its not Dovo or Theirs Asard, but they look great and it was at a decent price. Now what is required of me is acquiring a strop and oil. Not sure what to get yet with the stop and oil. The person who I purchased the blades from said he never really performed any honing from what I recall. I am not in a rush at the moment to jump into straight shaving. I think I will get into it in April or May, as I also acquired additional razors that I want to try. I also purchased additional shaving creams, shaving brushes and my first lather bowl.

Damn this hobby is making me spend money. I really need to find cheaper hobbies.
With the straights, I'd recommend sending them out for honing if the guy who sold them to you doesn't know if they were honed. When learning to use a straight you need a great edge or it could be disappointing or an irritating experience. Having 2 is best. Use one until it needs to be sent out for a touch-up then use the other until it needs to be touched up. This keeps you shaving with the same exact razor so you can learn it and not switch around. With a straight, it takes many months to learn to shave with one but it's worth learning.
A strop is a have-to when using a straight but I personally never oil my razors. Clean, dry and store them in a dry location. Not in a bathroom.

When you are ready just check in at the straight area of the forum and we will be happy to get you started on the straight path.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
A belated welcome to Badger & Blade from me :)

You are really embarking on a collection of razors journey. Leaving the cartridge behind, converting over to the DE. And then instantly falling in love with the SR. The part that I love most, is that you are willing to get an education into something I am really afraid of.

I know that I will never get into SR, I fear them with a passion for obvious reasons. But you conquer your fear, and wish to learn, and I think thats amazing. I only ask, that while you are on your SR adventure, please don't forget to use DE's once in awhile.

Like you said, you made a sizable investment into them already, be a shame to stop using them. I know that some folks on here go between DE and SR, cause thats the way they role, and of course, thats super cool. I myself am going to stick with DE since I fell in love with the journey in using it.

I just had a DE shave today and I felt really good after it, still do infact. I am going to continue to follow your journey, as I am curious where it takes you. You have my full support, keep being amazing, and shave where the razor takes you. :straight:

Top Bottom