What's new

A Test of Four Soaps

Is it the best veggie soap you have used? I don't use tallow soap and MdC is my daily driver. I probably get 120-150 shaves from mine.

Yes, it is the best veggie soap I have used. I was working it for the best individual shave experience rather than longevity. When I used just enough soap, it was not nearly as slick as when I used more. That was a trade-off between cost and performance. If MdC was the only soap available, I would gladly use it. For me, I prefer tallow soaps and they are less expensive to use.

I have finally gotten to the usable end of my Arko stick. I have a few thoughts:

- The shave quality is great, but I do not prefer the stick. Were I to buy Arko, this stick was a PIF, I would get the tub.
- This is, without a doubt, the best value soap in this comparison.

I got 109 shaves out of the stick and all but 1 were outstanding. I had a fairly even mix of SE, DE & ACSS shavette and found the soap to be well balanced and impeccably mannered.

Will Arko replace my Mike's? Not as long as I can get Mike's as I like to support small businesses that operate in the US.
However, if affordability becomes an issue into retirement, Arko tubs could fill the bill nicely.

Mogno would be up next, but with its performance over the first 31 shaves (9 outstanding, 14 very good and 7 good), as well as my perception that it is just not up to scratch, I think I will pass on completing that soap. So, we will go back to the Mike's tub which has 27 shaves on it, 26 outstanding. I suspect this test will be wrapped up by Halloween.

Top Bottom