What's new

A strop to grow into? - Tony Miller +?

I ordered a dovo ebony carbon steel during the free life honing event @ SRD and have that sitting until my Rup golden dollar and Filly strop arrive hopefully tomorrow.

I'm looking at Tony Miller strops and not sure which I should go with. I want to buy one that will be a daily setup and I can grow into over time once I get stopping down. I don't mind spending on quality.

So, being this and TM's offerings what would make the most sense. A TM with latigo + linen or latigo + horsebutt or horsebutt + linen. Any opinions on D rings or handles as well would be welcomed as well.

I don't plan to paste this as I'd just order a plain cotton/wool for this or just use the Filly.

Any thoughts for a new guy on the stop hunt?

Thanks in advance

I started with the latigo-horsehide combo. I really like it and it does a wonderful job on my razors. It didn't take too long before I found myself wanting a linen strop also, so I now have three Tony Miller strops hanging in my bathroom.
These are fine quality items.
I got the D rings on all of mine, they give a nice secure holding point.
Have Fun!
Mike

Might as well go big, with the 3" linen/horsehide Artisan. I have the cotton/latigo for myself since that was the most recommended, but I've found I really like the feel of horse hide after ordering a specialty strop. My TM has handles and I'll admit, it's pretty much for aesthetic only. I grab between the handle and the strop's end cap, using it much in the intention of the D-rings.

However, if you look at his site, the "Master Barber" looks pretty enticing if you like the 2 1/2" width, being all horsey.

Might as well go big, with the 3" linen/horsehide Artisan. I have the cotton/latigo for myself since that was the most recommended, but I've found I really like the feel of horse hide after ordering a specialty strop. My TM has handles and I'll admit, it's pretty much for aesthetic only. I grab between the handle and the strop's end cap, using it much in the intention of the D-rings.

However, if you look at his site, the "Master Barber" looks pretty enticing if you like the 2 1/2" width, being all horsey.

Just ordered my TM strop, I picked 3" Artisan "New Standard" Strop
3" Latigo/Smooth Cotton.
This will be my first strop , so decided to invest in a good one instead of the descent lower priced ones. Reviews to come once I start using it, But from what the fine folks here on B&B have spoke about it shouldn't really need much review.

First do you want to X pattern. Yes 2 or 2 1/2 inch, no 3 inch. I firmly believe you need a cloth component. Plain Linen or Dovo White Paste (or something similar) charged cotton. Latigo or horsehide is preference, honestly eventually you'll own both. I like the heavier draw of latigo especially for a wedge. TM Strops are incredible btw. IMO D rings are they way to go.

Yes I ordered the 3" with D rings and handles. Cant wait to get the strop. Im really getting back to things made by good craftsmen here in this country, So many things are outsourced to other country's for less quality . Im not opposed to this for I believe we should keep an open mind and market place , but its always nicer when It comes from your own backyard ,Sort of speak.

Cheers

First do you want to X pattern. Yes 2 or 2 1/2 inch, no 3 inch.

+1

I was also a believer of cotton but Tony Miller's linen is actually that....linen. Many other makers say it's "like linen" even say linen and nothing compares to it.

+1 on the white paste. 1st week with it on my cotton and it is nice to polish the blade

Horse hide is awesome. If you're learning to strop for the first time or leaving latigo, it is different. There is no feedback so you have to really pay attention to what you are doing.

Well said:thumbup1:
The horse butt is nice with the linen component and D rings

+1

I was also a believer of cotton but Tony Miller's linen is actually that....linen. Many other makers say it's "like linen" even say linen and nothing compares to it.

+1 on the white paste. 1st week with it on my cotton and it is nice to polish the blade

Horse hide is awesome. If you're learning to strop for the first time or leaving latigo, it is different. There is no feedback so you have to really pay attention to what you are doing.

I ordered a dovo ebony carbon steel during the free life honing event @ SRD and have that sitting until my Rup golden dollar and Filly strop arrive hopefully tomorrow.

I'm looking at Tony Miller strops and not sure which I should go with. I want to buy one that will be a daily setup and I can grow into over time once I get stopping down. I don't mind spending on quality.

So, being this and TM's offerings what would make the most sense. A TM with latigo + linen or latigo + horsebutt or horsebutt + linen. Any opinions on D rings or handles as well would be welcomed as well.

I don't plan to paste this as I'd just order a plain cotton/wool for this or just use the Filly.

Any thoughts for a new guy on the stop hunt?

Thanks in advance

A wise choice. Jump in with both feet, don't look back, don't give up! :thumbup1:

Ok, now for the serious advice. BUY THE PRACTICE STROP!!!!!! Cannot stress that enough. You do not want to ruin your very beautiful piece of craftsmanship with your noobish nicks. Just think of it as a goal line you will eventually earn.

As for paste, I don't use paste. Just buy the linen instead of the cotton, you won't be disappointed.

Horse butt is for when you figure out your SR life. Get it later on, when you can actually appreciate it.

D rings are personal. I don't like them, but I hold my leather handles differently. Wait...I do like them, but find the way I hold my leather handles to be superior and more comfortable. D rings are very sturdy, and cheaper. They also clink and smack your door... Oh, thats why I ditched them....:001_huh: Mine are just chilling next to my travel strop. Not sure if I'll ever put them back on, the clinking is annoying.

I have the 3 inch red latigo with the linen. I think it is awesome and I especially like the linen. I have another strop with cotton weave and there is no comparison. I got the handles on it and also bought the D rings in case I wanted to swap them out. After looking at them, I think I will just use the handles. Not that there's anything wrong with them, I just think the handles make for a more comfortable grip.

Thanks for the great feed back,
So I did choose cotton, will i still get good results with it. And what are the first steps, Do you start stropping with the cotton side first then finish with Latigo side?

I do plan on getting a practice strop before using the TM.

Thanks for the great feed back,
So I did choose cotton, will i still get good results with it. And what are the first steps, Do you start stropping with the cotton side first then finish with Latigo side?

I do plan on getting a practice strop before using the TM.

Yes, yes, and yes. :biggrin1:

Cotton is still good. I prefer linen because it feels more abrasive, and I do believe it really is.

Well thanks everyone for all the info. Really helps when thinking what direction. My ruprazor arrived with Filly today so tomorrow or Sun I may just give straights a go.

As for the next strop. It's looking like a TM latigo + linen from what I've taken from the opinions. I may just order D rings and handles to find what I like as well.

leighton - thanks for the thoughts and the stenghting of resolve to jump in deep. Soo deep in fact I have a new dovo, ruprazor dollar/filly combo, a sheffield vintage i picked up today and a red injun I picked up on the bay with no scales for a poss restore.

Top Bottom