What's new

A side by side experience.

I gotta say, that this is my favorite thread on B&B. I love reading what other people shave with, and I love to share what I shaved with as well.

Alright now to my shave:
  • I found these blades on eBay called "Shaver Boy". WOW! What a blade! Though made in China, they are made to the importer's specifications. You can get about 6-7 shaves out of them. You could swear that you are using an Astra Platinum, only I find them sharper. They cost me $.07 a blade. I have shaved with about a dozen blades recently, not satisfied with any, and I have never found a better blade. You wouldn't even know it is Chinese!!
  • I have this 1966 travel Tech that I like on which I have put a full size ball end handle. I also acquired a Gillette Sterling for $6. For those of you that are unaware, The Sterling is basically a Tech with a crummy plastic handle, fit for stirring your coffee with, from India. I unscrewed the plastic handle and replaced it with another ball end handle that I happened to have. Which razor won??? (Keep reading....)
  • I am tired of fruity and eucalyptus scents. Why can't a soap smell like soap? I have many soaps and creams, but a while ago I bought a Wilkinson soap in a bowl for under $5. It is a very clean smelling soap. I liked that. It doesn't make as thick or creamy a lather as say Proraso, but it does the job.
  • Every day I find that selecting a brush gets harder. Each one has its own characteristics. I have this Kent Infinity Brush that I purchased for travel. For some reason. I like it, even though it has a small knot.
  • Somehow I seriously nicked my nose! (With the Tech....) Out came my Omega Alum Stick (....ouch!!)
  • I finished up with Nivea Shave Balm. I find that it really hydrates the skin well. It is also inexpensive.
  • Now, I used a $6 razor on one side of my face, and a Tech that sold for $0.69 back in the days. The blade is about a penny per shave. The shave soap was under $5. So was the Nivea Shave Balm. So in keeping with the spirit of the shave, I finished up with Aqua Velva what else!
  • I kind of think of the shave as "The Pharmacy Shave..." LOL!
Okay, I know that you want to know which one won. I don't blame you.

The Sterling

• The metal is much thinner than on the Travel Tech, however to be fair, the Travel Tech has a bit heavier metal to it than a standard Tech. The finish was nowhere near as good. The blade gap is more aggressive. How did it shave? Not bad but not like a real Tech. It wasn't smooth, but it was efficient. There was a lot of blade feel. It gave me a very close, but mildly aggressive, uncomfortable shave.
The Tech Ball End
  • The Tech is kind of the Volkswagen Beetle of razors. Innovative in its inception, yet basic. It made shaving more comfortable than the open comb razors that existed at the time, and it also made shaving more accessible because of its low price. The finish of my 1966 is pristine. The shave is smooth and very comfortable. It is a milder razor but with a very sharp blade. I was really enjoying my shave until I cut my nose with the side of the blade! Aside from my spasdicated shaving technique, the Travel Tech won hands down.
Hmmm, maybe I can try an even cheaper shave tomorrow. How about a Ying Jili, a Topaz blade, an Arko stick, a cheap Chinese brush, and I will use Noxema as a preshave. I have some dollar store aftershave which may actually burn a hole through the table if spilled. Naaaaah. I think I will go for my Progress instead.

Thanks for reading......

Last edited:
I gotta say, that this is my favorite thread on B&B. I love reading what other people shave with, and I love to share what I shaved with as well.

Alright now to my shave:
  • I found these blades on eBay called "Shaver Boy". WOW! What a blade! Though made in China, they are made to the importer's specifications. You can get about 6-7 shaves out of them. You could swear that you are using an Astra Platinum, only I find them sharper. They cost me $.07 a blade. I have shaved with about a dozen blades recently, not satisfied with any, and I have never found a better blade. You wouldn't even know it is Chinese!!
  • I have this 1966 travel Tech that I like on which I have put a full size ball end handle. I also acquired a Gillette Sterling for $6. For those of you that are unaware, The Sterling is basically a Tech with a crummy plastic handle, fit for stirring your coffee with, from India. I unscrewed the plastic handle and replaced it with another ball end handle that I happened to have. Which razor won??? (Keep reading....)
  • I am tired of fruity and eucalyptus scents. Why can't a soap smell like soap? I have many soaps and creams, but a while ago I bought a Wilkinson soap in a bowl for under $5. It is a very clean smelling soap. I liked that. It doesn't make as thick or creamy a lather as say Proraso, but it does the job.
  • Every day I find that selecting a brush gets harder. Each one has its own characteristics. I have this Kent Infinity Brush that I purchased for travel. For some reason. I like it, even though it has a small knot.
  • Somehow I seriously nicked my nose! (With the Tech....) Out came my Omega Alum Stick (....ouch!!)
  • I finished up with Nivea Shave Balm. I find that it really hydrates the skin well. It is also inexpensive.
  • Now, I used a $6 razor on one side of my face, and a Tech that sold for $0.69 back in the days. The blade is about a penny per shave. The shave soap was under $5. So was the Nivea Shave Balm. So in keeping with the spirit of the shave, I finished up with Aqua Velva what else!
  • I kind of think of the shave as "The Pharmacy Shave..." LOL!
Okay, I know that you want to know which one won. I don't blame you.

The Sterling

• The metal is much thinner than on the Travel Tech, however to be fair, the Travel Tech has a bit heavier metal to it than a standard Tech. The finish was nowhere near as good. The blade gap is more aggressive. How did it shave? Not bad but not like a real Tech. It wasn't smooth, but it was efficient. There was a lot of blade feel. It gave me a very close, but mildly aggressive, uncomfortable shave.
The Tech Ball End
  • The Tech is kind of the Volkswagen Beetle of razors. Innovative in its inception, yet basic. It made shaving more comfortable than the open comb razors that existed at the time, and it also made shaving more accessible because of its low price. The finish of my 1966 is pristine. The shave is smooth and very comfortable. It is a milder razor but with a very sharp blade. I was really enjoying my shave until I cut my nose with the side of the blade! Aside from my spasdicated shaving technique, the Travel Tech won hands down.
Hmmm, maybe I can try an even cheaper shave tomorrow. How about a Ying Jili, a Topaz blade, an Arko stick, a cheap Chinese brush, and I will use Noxema as a preshave. I have some dollar store aftershave which may actually burn a hole through the table if spilled. Naaaaah. I think I will go for my Progress instead.

Thanks for reading......
Like to try these razors, do you have a link?

Top Bottom