What's new

A scent that smells like Salter's French Vetiver cream?

Does one exist? Smells pretty much like pure vetiver. Anyone know a scent that smells similar, or in the same vein?

I already have L'Occitane and Guerlain vets...nice, but not what I'm looking for. I just want that dirty smoky wood smell. Why would I want to smell like this, you ask? I'm probably crazy. My favorite scent to date is Mazzolari Lui, so that pretty much sums it up.

Never smelled Salter french vetiver, so this may or may not help. But you could always go the oil route. Attar Bazaar has a vetiver oil called "Sumatran vetiver." That's as dirty and smoky as you're gonna get, seriously. Also, a Mitti attar (i.e. "baked earth") is essentially dirt and grass distilled in sandalwood essential oil. And that's exactly what it smells like.

Last edited:
Never smelled Salter french vetiver, so this may or may not help. But you could always go the oil route. Attar Bazaar has a vetiver oil called "Sumatran vetiver." That's as dirty and smoky as you're gonna get, seriously. Also, a Mitti attar (i.e. "baked earth") is essentially dirt and grass distilled in sandalwood essential oil. And that's exactly what it smells like.

I haven't smelled either of these, but they sound just like Salter's French Vetiver smells, to me. It's amazingly pungent.

I have the old version of Salter's and it's basically loaded up with vetiver EO. I don't know if the reform version that's been around for a couple of years now is the same or not. Etro vetiver is a very faithful pure note vetiver - one of my favorite vetivers that I pair with the Salter cream. For much less cost, you could buy some vetiver EO and either apply a drop or two directly or add it so a carrier such as jojoba. Probably not quite as good as the Etro but only about 10% the cost.

Short of a pure vetiver EO, I don't think you'll get exactly the Salter vetiver scent. That said, if the raw, rooty vetiver is what you seek, I would recommend MPG Route du Vetiver or Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver. Both have that wet, raw smell. The MPG is more "swampy" IMHO whereas the Villoresi is, to my mind, more refined while still being very pungent on the vetiver scent...

Well I missed "In before BRuhling", but I can still pull off "In before The Knize". Whatever words are uttered from either mouth (or fingers in the case :lol:) on the subject, should be heeded. I have not tried 1/100th of the vetiver scents that they have, but if I were to recommend any based on what I have tried, I would have gone with Bill's recommendations of MPG and LV. The MPG is more dirty as Bill suggested, but it has a very ever so slight black currant sweetness added to it that makes it interesting.

If you dig the French Vetiver cream, you cannot go wrong with either one of those.

Well I missed "In before BRuhling", but I can still pull off "In before The Knize". Whatever words are uttered from either mouth (or fingers in the case :lol:) on the subject, should be heeded. I have not tried 1/100th of the vetiver scents that they have, but if I were to recommend any based on what I have tried, I would have gone with Bill's recommendations of MPG and LV. The MPG is more dirty as Bill suggested, but it has a very ever so slight black currant sweetness added to it that makes it interesting.

If you dig the French Vetiver cream, you cannot go wrong with either one of those.

I am something of a poser when it comes to vets. I have not tried, as far as I can recall, a number of important ones, such as Encre Noir or Fumundis (sp?).

I was afraid to chime in because I do not know that "flavor" of Salter SC. Bill and Tim's descriptions and suggestions of the MPG and LVs are right on. And MPG is what I thought of right away. But I am not sure it is smoky. It is very swampy and dirty. But not too pungent. LV is. Perhaps nose burning on first application. And I would say smoky.

If you want to give a pure vet essential oil a shot, go to a health food store which has a display of EOs with sample bottles and check out the vet. I have a vet EO I use in a car odorizer sometimes. I like the way it smells but have not been tempted to wear it by itself as a scent.

Lots of times SCS scents tend toward single accords when the scent carries the name, but the SCS Very V, has lots in it besides vetiver, such as neroli, and is relatively light and bright.

I have Salters' French Vetiver SC and a few vetivers that are close. The thing about Salters' FV SC is that it's not balanced in a fragrance notes pyramid the way a perfume is. So, whatever fragrance you choose, you will have to wait for the top notes to burn away before you get down to the earthy vetiver notes. That said, the rawest and earthiest vetiver fragrances that I am familiar with are Profumum's Fumidus (but this has a strong scotch whisky opening), Sigilli's Athunis (probably closest to the SC smell) and Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 by Les Nez (good luck finding this one).

I used Salter's this morning and it has a "wet grass/hay" note that I haven't noticed in the few vetivers I've tried. The closest I've come across is L'Occitane's Vetyver which smells like a plant nursery after a summer rain and dries down a little a little spicy. I think Salter's FV might have a hint of sandalwood , amber, patchouli or something as well because it has a sweet (mulch) fragrance. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom