What's new

A renaissance of shaving in Milwaukee

As I was out running errands today I stopped in a local independent pharmacy thinking that maybe they would carry some half way decent blades. They had two packs of Wilkinson Sword Classics for $1.40 each so I picked them up. I've never tried these so I thought I'd give them a shot. If I don't like them it's only a couple of bucks lost.

They also carried Pre de Provence shaving soap and after shave as well as an inexpensive Omega boar brush. I wound up chatting for a minute with the owner and he said there's is a renewed interest in traditional wet shaving items so he's decided to stock a couple of items and he's thinking of adding to his inventory. That's two local shops now where I can get soaps or creams if I want.

I'm still looking for a place to get blades regularly. Maybe I'll like the Wilkinsons but after coming home and checking the reviews these blades seem to be regarded as less than stellar. These are the German made blades. We'll see.

To top this off I heard there is supposed to be a store opening up on the north side of Milwaukee in Bayshore Mall that's supposed to be selling men's hats as well as some shaving stuff.

It looks like traditional wet shaving is catching on again.
:shaving:

As I was out running errands today I stopped in a local independent pharmacy thinking that maybe they would carry some half way decent blades. They had two packs of Wilkinson Sword Classics for $1.40 each so I picked them up. I've never tried these so I thought I'd give them a shot. If I don't like them it's only a couple of bucks lost.

They also carried Pre de Provence shaving soap and after shave as well as an inexpensive Omega boar brush. I wound up chatting for a minute with the owner and he said there's is a renewed interest in traditional wet shaving items so he's decided to stock a couple of items and he's thinking of adding to his inventory. That's two local shops now where I can get soaps or creams if I want.

I'm still looking for a place to get blades regularly. Maybe I'll like the Wilkinsons but after coming home and checking the reviews these blades seem to be regarded as less than stellar. These are the German made blades. We'll see.

To top this off I heard there is supposed to be a store opening up on the north side of Milwaukee in Bayshore Mall that's supposed to be selling men's hats as well as some shaving stuff.

Hey, i'm going to be going to Milwaukee in a few weeks, can you tell me anyplace specific that i can buy some wetshaving products?

Is there a place that sells Real Shaving Company creams? AOS? Maybe some stores that might carry imported creams/soaps?

Hey, i'm going to be going to Milwaukee in a few weeks, can you tell me anyplace specific that i can buy some wetshaving products?

Is there a place that sells Real Shaving Company creams? AOS? Maybe some stores that might carry imported creams/soaps?
RSC items are at any random Rite-Aid drugstore in the US as far as I know.

I really hope it is. The ubiquitous grumbling about Gillettes prices, peoples increasing resistance to marketing, and the fact everyone with an internet connection can find a better, cheaper alternative MUST eventually lead to a mini-renaissance, at least.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I would really like to see the return of men wearing hats.

Foyle,

Which store is it? I have ordered the following to start the adventure.
My entry into the`world of wet shaving will start with...

Lord LP1822L razor
Derby 5
Bluebird 5
LORD Super Chrome 10

Sam has confirmed my order and it is on it's way! Thank you!

I have a cheap Boar brush my barber stocks for $2, this group and youtube to help figure it out. If a local source for blades does not show up I will select one of the blades above as a go to blade and order a box of 100. Possibly we can co-op on an order.

Matt

Plus, Andy Tarnoff of OnMilwaukee.com is an avid wet-shaver, and has regular articles on the subject.

BTW, what pharmacy?

I really hope it is. The ubiquitous grumbling about Gillettes prices, peoples increasing resistance to marketing, and the fact everyone with an internet connection can find a better, cheaper alternative MUST eventually lead to a mini-renaissance, at least.

Come on baby, light my fire!

Woodman's has a selection of product scattered throughout their Health & Beauty aisles. KMF, Thayer's, Burt's Bee, Wilkes Swords (.99 cents), Williams, Clubman, Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap, VDH, Vitalis Hair Tonic. Check 'em out.

--T

Good to see lot of MKE folks here! Beans & Barley has a few wetshaving items including Thayer's, KMF, some puck soaps, and I believe a boar brush. Similar situation for the Outpost on East Capitol.

Also Blush on Water & Buffalo carries the Truefitt & Hill line.

I make it to Wisconsin a couple times a month (girlfriend currently lives there) Can you advise the places you are talking about?

I know there is a L'Occitane shop in Milwaukee.

Also, in Madison there is L'Occitane, as well as the "Soap Opera" that carries some razors, soaps/creams, brushes, stands, aftershaves etc... Including Musago Real, some L'Occitane, (soap pucks are $16 there instead of the newer $10 price if I remember right.), Omega soaps. They also have their own made glycerin soaps, and an unscented cream that they will scent for you for free. (Large selection of essential oils available.) I don't know if they make their own creams or not... Generally "small batch" or "home made" creams I have tried have been less than stellar performance wise, but the sample I got from them was actually nice, which makes me wonder... :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wear them. I feel naked if I go outside without one :001_smile

My father's generation (graduated in '66) did a lot throw out what, at the time, were societal norms. A lot of good things were lost, but so were a lot of bad things (like the idea of racial discrimination being acceptable). Now if we could only bring back some of the good things from the "good old days". Of course, a lot of here have- at least we shave the good way:001_smile

Top Bottom