What's new

A really quick question about straight razor shaving

Ok I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to this question. I think I am posting it in the right place but I am new so if not please do say.

First off hello everybody I am new here. I am planning to order my first ever straight razor and the kit to go with it in the next couple of weeks. I have settled on an Edwin Jagger set that comes with a stand and some other nice cosmetic things. Basically the blade is still made by Dovo but its rebranded with plastic scales so its a bit cheaper for a first razor.

I have taken the plunge for several reasons, My disposible fusion blades get expensive and leave my face sore and I believe I may get a closer shave with a straight. Also there is undenyably a good dose of nostalgia which goes along with straight razors which I find it hard to ignore.

The research I have done has made it plainly clear that I will cut myself when I start learning to shave whether I like it or not. My question however is this. I have a couple of quite prominent little bumps on my face, as I am sure most people do, so what happens about them? Do I need to work carefully around them and if I shave over them are they going to be prone to cutting and bleeding?

Also as a secondary if anybody has any views on the razor I have chosen that would be cool too.

Anyway hello everybody and I look forward to many happy years of forum contribution and wonderfully close shaves.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Unless you will be paying an extra fee, the razor that you will buy will not be shave ready. I would advise not shaving with that razor until a honemeister touch it and makes it shave ready. Do you have a strop with the straight razor? You will need one to maintain the edge.

For the cutting bit, do not worry too much, if you are not careful then, yes, you will cut yourself. Otherwise, take it slow and ready as much as you can. This thread is a good start: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33718

For the bumps, are those ingrown hair? If it's the case, let your face rest for a few days, it will help. Using a shaving soap and brush should also help your skin a lot.

Hi Luc,

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

The bumps are just my face I am affraid. They aren't huge an d disfiguring I am just concerned that they may be big enough to catch on the razor. My plan is to order the razor, strop brush and shaving soap to get me started and go from there really.

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...t Throat razors, Strops & Paste@b|0|user||13| This is the razor, it says it's shave ready so I presume it has been honed already. I think I will leave the honing to the pros for now but as I understand it it only needs doing about every 6 months as long as stropping is maintained.

Anyway thanks for the reply and the link.

Luc

Staff member
Hi Luc,

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

The bumps are just my face I am affraid. They aren't huge an d disfiguring I am just concerned that they may be big enough to catch on the razor. My plan is to order the razor, strop brush and shaving soap to get me started and go from there really.

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...t Throat razors, Strops & Paste@b|0|user||13| This is the razor, it says it's shave ready so I presume it has been honed already. I think I will leave the honing to the pros for now but as I understand it it only needs doing about every 6 months as long as stropping is maintained.

Anyway thanks for the reply and the link.

Mmm, you might cut yourself on those spots then. It's possible but not necessarily. You will see after a few shaves. I wouldn't worry too much as eventually, it will become a flat surface.

I can't comment on The English Shaving Company, I do not know if they are really shave ready or not but if it's written, then it should be. That should be fine then.

It might be less than 6 months for honing, I think it's a bit much. It depends on the razor itself and your stropping technique. If you roll the edge while stropping then, nothing else can be done other then sending it to a honer.

If I use 1 straight only and would shave daily, I would say it will be good for ~1 month. But then, I have edges that are really hard that could probably go a bit more, maybe a month and a half. Some straight are less...

Cool. Well If I get on with the razor ok I will have to invest in a hone then I expect.

Thanks for all of the advice I am really looking forward to getting going...now where did I put that credit card!

Luc

Staff member
Cool. Well If I get on with the razor ok I will have to invest in a hone then I expect.

Thanks for all of the advice I am really looking forward to getting going...now where did I put that credit card!

I would recommend waiting for the hone, learning how to shave with a straight is already a good learning curve by itself. If you want something cheaper, have a look at B/S/T (Buy/Sell/Trade) section of this forum. You will probably find a shave ready straight for much cheaper.

Also, those pages might be a good read:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Straight_Razor_FAQs

Everything mentioned is all very good advice. I would add that once you feel sufficiently skilled, a full hollow ground blade is more flexible, thus it follows the skin slightly better than a wedge and glides better over facial irregularities. At the end of the day the razor is just a tool, however, so it's really you yourself that needs to be more delicate to take advantage of the blade's properties!

I would definately recommend that you get the razor honed by a pro, and after a few months of developing your skill (so that you don't cut anything but your whiskers - ie. your face and/or strop - and have learned to strop the razor properly) send it in again to be checked and touched up. A paddle strop may be better than a belt at the beginning, so you don't forget to pull the strop tight at all times.

Final word about stropping: don't do a routine, do what "feels right". If the razor shaves well, don't strop it too much until it feels like it doesn't shave as good anymore. Over time, you can feel the small kinks on the blade work themselves out and know from tactile sensation when stropping that the razor is shave-ready.

Hello Seth and welcome to the world of the badger and blade.

Yes, you WILL cut yourself. It's an unavoidable part of learning to shave with a straight-razor. If you're anything like me, though, those cuts will be few and far between and small in size and negligable in pain and blood-loss.

As Luc says, unless you've asked for it to be done specifically, the razor you get, brand new or not, will most likely not be ready to shave with. You'll need to get it honed and stropped, or if you're confident or crazy enough like I was...hone it yourself (fortunately my adventures in this area turned out significantly better than I had ever hoped!)

I shan't comment on the razor, as I really don't know enough about it.

Regarding bumps etc, on your face...shave carefully over them and above all...DO NOT PRESS and DO NOT USE PRESSURE. You're shaving your face. You're spreading butter over toast. You are not trying to carve up the Christmas turkey, so no pressure. If you do, you will pay for it with blood.

thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome. shangas you haven't seen me weild a butter knife ;-)

thank you all, much food for though. do any of you favour cream over soap for having. i was going to give soap a try to start with.

I too have some minor skin blemishes/bumps that are not shaving related. I tend to cut them more when I shave with a DE than with a straight. If you follow proper technique and let the weight of the blade do the cutting with little to no extra pressure from you the blade will normally glide over the area unless there is a pronounced ridge then you will need to carefully shave around it.

In regard to the skin bumps, if you stretch your skin well, the razor should slide over them unless there is some kind of edge or crease where it could catch.

Welcome, Seth! I use soaps almost exclusively, there are so many good ones out there, you won't have a problem finding a winner.

thank you all for the advice and the warm welcome. shangas you haven't seen me weild a butter knife ;-)

thank you all, much food for though. do any of you favour cream over soap for having. i was going to give soap a try to start with.

Top Bottom