What's new

A Question of Inks, Pens, And a Little Story

I've been in the kiddy pool of fountain pens for a couple of years. I got a cheap calligraphy set back in middle school that half worked. I got a Lamy Safari with a fine and italic nib and a converter for Christmas about two-three years ago. I really love it. Once I used all the blue ink that came with it, I bought some Noodlers Bulletproof Black and pretty much called it a day.

In the interim I got a dip pen on a visit to the Peanuts Museum and have had a lot of fun with it. It kind of kindled my interest in a flex nib. Of course, the Safari can't handle that and good flex pens are very expensive so my dip pen will have to suffice until I hit gold sometime.

Regardless, I'm looking to add a little flair to my writing while still maintaining a classic look that can be used for most correspondence. I'm thinking Oxblood. Am I right in thinking that it's subtle enough to be used all the time but still have that spark that makes it stand out?

Now, a little story: I recently went on a four month road trip across the United States. The western half is of course fraught with mountains. Lots of air pressure change. I brought my Safari with me for journaling and writing postcards. I didn't put two and two together. Somewhere in Montana, I took the cap off my pen and - whoosh - I looked like I just came from booking at the police station. Apparently the up and down of the mountains acted like a pump, slowly pulling all the ink from cartridge into the cap. Somehow the cap kept the the ink from leaking out into my bag, but once I released that seal, I discovered what puts the 'fountain' in fountain pen. Just a little PSA for all you roadtripping nibbers.

I'm currently running oxblood right now and is good. I'm not really a red ink kinda guy, but this stuff rides the line enough to be suitable for me. I also don't feel bad about using it day to day. It certainly doesn't have the flair of say, apache sunset. Add much as I love that stuff I just don't see a use for it outside of leasure writing and Journaling.

Best of luck with choosing a colour and I hope you were able to wash out all of the ink from your hands! :biggrin1:
How did you enjoy the road trip?!

I think if you store your pen nib up when traveling, it may alleviate this problem

Good tip. Perhaps horizontal was a little to inviting to spillage.

I'm currently running oxblood right now and is good. I'm not really a red ink kinda guy, but this stuff rides the line enough to be suitable for me. I also don't feel bad about using it day to day. It certainly doesn't have the flair of say, apache sunset. Add much as I love that stuff I just don't see a use for it outside of leasure writing and Journaling.

Yeah, Apache Sunset may be going a little wild for my purposes, haha. Good to hear Oxblood 'feels' good for everyday use.

Best of luck with choosing a colour and I hope you were able to wash out all of the ink from your hands! :biggrin1:
How did you enjoy the road trip?!

The trip was incredible. I've got a thread going on over in the 'Outdoors' forum showing some highlights. The ink did eventually come off. Thank god Noodler's Black comes off skin easier than paper.

Top Bottom