What's new

A newbie... to cologne?

Gentlemen,

I timidly admit: I have never worn cologne before. And yet, after seeing the great joy to be found in pampering myself with a wet shave, I'm curious, and want to explore the realm of scent.

I'm starting from nothing, entirely blind. Any advice on how to get my bearings? Some "basic" colognes that should be tried, either as commonly enjoyed scents or simply as a base of reference?

Here's a good thread discussing samples:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109953

I suggest you get as many samples as possible, and start wearing them to see what you like. Also, I suggest you follow the following steps:

1. Apply a small amount on the back of your hands or wrists. A few drops spread around, or a spray or two is enough. If you over do it, you might offend others, and you might not like it yourself. I suggest you put it on your hands/wrists instead of near your face so that you don't become "blind" to the scent yourself. If you are constantly smelling it, like you do when it's on or near your face/nose, you won't be able to smell it after about 15 minutes.

2. Take a whiff several times throughout the day, at least during the first few hours. Most scents will "change" during the day. This is because they are made up of several different scent ingredients, which have different "lives" while you are wearing them. For example, most colognes have some citrus ingredients that you smell more than anything else during the first 15 to 30 minutes, because citrus is smaller, lighter molecules that are "brighter", so you smell them first, but they also evaporate faster so they don't last. Once they are gone you smell the heavier ingredients that don't evaporate as fast. This is why you hear folks talk about the different "notes" in a fragrance. The "top" notes being the lighter, citrus notes you smell first, the "heart" notes being those you smell after the top notes are gone, and the "base" notes being the heaviest and the longest lasting. Of course all of these blend together somewhat while you wear them.

3. Read as much as you can to learn about colognes, like here on B&B as well as on Basenotes.com. But this is only to get ideas. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, because everyone's "taste" in scents is different. You may like something others don't, and vice versa. You will also find your own impressions, likes and dis-likes may change from the first time you try a colonge to the second time. A lot of colognes I like at first whiff I change my mind after a few wearings. Others that I don't like the first time I've come to like a lot after a few tries. Remember, you READ to get ideas, you SMELL to learn what YOU like or don't like.

4. Don't make a decision about whether or not you like something by sniffing it in a store, especially sprayed on a piece of paper. You really need to wear something to see (a) how it smells on you, and (b) how it "wears" on you throughout the day.

5. Most of all, enjoy the process of discovering what is out there, and what you like, and join in on the discussions here, with both questions, and opinions. Everyone has an opinion...I'm sure you know the rest of that expression!

6. Finally, welcome to B&B!

:cool:

Last edited:
The best piece of advice I can give you is come join us over on Basenotes.net for some interesting discussion surrounding the wonderful word of fragrances! (But excuse us as our forum is currently in the process of being updated so all regular wardrobe functions are not available).

Here's a good thread discussing samples:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109953

I suggest you get as many samples as possible, and start wearing them to see what you like. Also, I suggest you follow the following steps:

1. Apply a small amount on the back of your hands or wrists. A few drops spread around, or a spray or two is enough. If you over do it, you might offend others, and you might not like it yourself. I suggest you put it on your hands/wrists instead of near your face so that you don't become "blind" to the scent yourself. If you are constantly smelling it, like you do when it's on or near your face/nose, you won't be able to smell it after about 15 minutes.

2. Take a whiff several times throughout the day, at least during the first few hours. Most scents will "change" during the day. This is because they are made up of several different scent ingredients, which have different "lives" while you are wearing them. For example, most colognes have some citrus ingredients that you smell more than anything else during the first 15 to 30 minutes, because citrus is smaller, lighter molecules that are "brighter", so you smell them first, but they also evaporate faster so they don't last. Once they are gone you smell the heavier ingredients that don't evaporate as fast. This is why you hear folks talk about the different "notes" in a fragrance. The "top" notes being the lighter, citrus notes you smell first, the "heart" notes being those you smell after the top notes are gone, and the "base" notes being the heaviest and the longest lasting. Of course all of these blend together somewhat while you wear them.

3. Read as much as you can to learn about colognes, like here on B&B as well as on Basenotes.com. But this is only to get ideas. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, because everyone's "taste" in scents is different. You may like something others don't, and vice versa. You will also find your own impressions, likes and dis-likes may change from the first time you they a colonge to the second time. A lot of colognes I like at first whiff I change my mind after a few wearings. Others that I don't like the first time I've come to like a lot after a few tries. Remember, you READ to get ideas, you SMELL to learn what YOU like or don't like.

4. Don't make a decision about whether or not you like something by sniffing it in a store, especially sprayed on a piece of paper. You really need to wear something to see (a) how it smells on you, and (b) how it "wears" on you throughout the day.

5. Most of all, enjoy the process of discovering what is out there, and what you like, and join in on the discussions here, with both questions, and opinions. Everyone has an opinion...I'm sure you know the rest of that expression!

6. Finally, welcome to B&B!

:cool:

Great advice, Randy, and not just for those of new to the world of fragrances!

...And a +1 to welcome to B&B, Sofauxboho!

Excellent, excellent advice, Randy. I've learned:

• Not to put any scent behind my ears or on my throat area; only the inside of the wrist, inner elbow and chest for me now. Otherwise the sillage (French for "boat wake") is too much for others AND myself. And with really powerful scents, it's just the chest.
  • With Basenotes and reviews here, I really pay attention to the particular notes that someone picks up and shares about a scent. For me, "earthy", "dirty", "cumin", "fecal" and "animalistic" notes are ones that I generally avoid, especially if many reviews refer to those notes.
  • I've also discovered that paper tests are only good for getting a sense of the top notes and a whiff of anything that might be an issue with my own scent knowledge. My own skin chemistry seriously alters each scent as it is applied, sometimes with results that are completely unexpected compared to what a sniff from paper would have me believe.

Thanks to all who have responded, both here and via PM. What wonderful and generous feedback, gentlemen!

Thanks especially for the advice on where to apply the scents. I'm sure I would have gone straight to dabbing it around my neck and face. Also very interesting to hear about the way the scents change over time.

I'm almost surprised there isn't a stick about this. Jakespoppy's post would make a good start!

I've ordered my first smattering of samples, and am greatly looking forward to trying them out.

I feel truly lucky to have stumbled upon this community.

I've ordered my first smattering of samples, and am greatly looking forward to trying them out.

Which ones did you get? I just got my sample pack from T&H, and a 5-pack of Creed from TPC. Now I just have to wait for SWMBO's sinuses to clear up, so that she can give her (dis)approval before any serious purchase.

Which ones did you get? I just got my sample pack from T&H, and a 5-pack of Creed from TPC. Now I just have to wait for SWMBO's sinuses to clear up, so that she can give her (dis)approval before any serious purchase.

I went for the T&H cologne and cream sampler and also the scent sampler from Czech & Speake.

http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_10106__37.html
http://www.czechandspeake.com/samples.asp

Warlandsboy was also kind enough to PM me and chat about what fragrance samplers he thought I might most enjoy, so I'm about to order a sample packs from TPC as well.

Please post your thoughts when you get the samples. I just did the same thing. Worked my way through the T and H samples, still waiting for the C&S samples to arrive.

Top Bottom