What's new

A more mature Hugo

Up until recently I was an avid wearer of Hugo. This actually began in high school and ended a couple years out of college. I don't have any special attachment to the fragrance per se, as I feel that at this point in my life it is quite young. However, my wife absolutely loves it on me for some odd reason. I am interested in finding a new scent that is similar to Hugo, but slightly more mature (more complex?) in nature. Any recommendations? I am not looking to spend much my than $50-60 - especially if I am buying w/out testing first.

Thanks.
Jason

*As a point of reference (that is completely unrelated scent-wise), my new favorite cologne is SCS Bay Rum w/ a Twist. Do any SCS or Mama Bear colognes have a Hugo-like vibe?

Up until recently I was an avid wearer of Hugo. This actually began in high school and ended a couple years out of college. I don't have any special attachment to the fragrance per se, as I feel that at this point in my life it is quite young. However, my wife absolutely loves it on me for some odd reason. I am interested in finding a new scent that is similar to Hugo, but slightly more mature (more complex?) in nature. Any recommendations? I am not looking to spend much my than $50-60 - especially if I am buying w/out testing first.

Thanks.
Jason

*As a point of reference (that is completely unrelated scent-wise), my new favorite cologne is SCS Bay Rum w/ a Twist. Do any SCS or Mama Bear colognes have a Hugo-like vibe?

I'm the same way with Acqua di Gio, my wife loves it on me but I feel the need to wear more mature frags these days and alot of guys wear AdGPH mostly younger guys, like High School age!

I've never worn Hugo so I don't know what would compare to it but recently I bought M7 by Yves Saint Laurent and Terre D'Hermes by Hermes. Check out basenotes.net It helped me to purchase these frags.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My GF really loves Burberry Brit on me ... "there is nothing to compare!" Now, I like B-Brit too, but I think what really gets her interested is it's the cologne I was wearing in the first few weeks when we started dating ... so it has some very powerful positive memories associated with it.

Perhaps Hugo casts a similar spell in your case.

Maybe the best thing to do is not find a similar replacement, but find a new cologne and wear it during some great events leading to some great memories for her. That way, you can start up with the new cologne of your choice, and (hopefully) she'll come around.

My ex's dad wore Acqua di Gio to just about every social gathering I can remember. I thought it was funny that a guy in his late 40s wore stuff I saw kids pour over themselves after gym class in 8th grade!

Then again he was kind of a *CENSORED*. :biggrin1:

My ex's dad wore Acqua di Gio to just about every social gathering I can remember. I thought it was funny that a guy in his late 40s wore stuff I saw kids pour over themselves after gym class in 8th grade!

I wore that at my wedding and it would remind me of it everytime I smelled it, up until recently. There's a big burly guy that works at the same hospital that I work at, who wears it all the time. Now I think of work.

DAG NABBIT!

==Tom

Rather than say - I want a more mature version of Hugo, why don't you tell us what scents (as in elements - citrus, wood, pine, etc...) you like and you'll get a raft of suggestions.

I would also put in a call/send an e-mail to Floris, T&H, Trumper, etc... to see if you can score free samples. This is the best way to see what's out there and broaden your scent horizions.

I wore that at my wedding and it would remind me of it everytime I smelled it, up until recently. There's a big burly guy that works at the same hospital that I work at, who wears it all the time. Now I think of work.

DAG NABBIT!

==Tom

I remember when Aqua di Gio was the latest and greatest. I went out and bought one of the smaller 1.75 oz bottles. That was...7 years ago, I think. A year later I was living just outside of Edinburgh, Scotland and picked up a HUGE 3.5 oz bottle in Belfast. I went to Ireland for the weekend and as is was a "mini-vacation," I figured, "what the hell, I love this stuff."

Six years later and present day, I'm still working on cashing the small bottle out, while the gargantuan is still in it's original box and shrink wrap. :cursing:

Six years later and present day, I'm still working on cashing the small bottle out, while the gargantuan is still in it's original box and shrink wrap. :cursing:

Cory, I have a certain friend who I've tried to help many times in the past, but he thinks that huge bottle is a one week supply. If you are interested in selling it, let me know what you want for it and I'll see if he can take it off your hands.

Cory, I have a certain friend who I've tried to help many times in the past, but he thinks that huge bottle is a one week supply. If you are interested in selling it, let me know what you want for it and I'll see if he can take it off your hands.

This is very tempting as I'm personally not to fond of the scent anymore, but the better half really seems to like it. I almost said yes, but I'm afraid of :a53:

:wink:

Rather than say - I want a more mature version of Hugo, why don't you tell us what scents (as in elements - citrus, wood, pine, etc...) you like and you'll get a raft of suggestions.

Hmm...I'm not really sure how to describe the more "mature" version of Hugo I am seeking. And I'm not enough a scent buff to know what I am smelling...however, I do know that what my wife loves is the Mid and Base notes (whatever they are).

I'd say that I am looking for a fresh scent with just a touch of sweetness that comes out later in the day. Something clean, but with subtle complexity.

Doc4 might be on to something: I'm sure there is great sentimental value w/ this fragrance. Had I been wearing something else when we met, she would probably love that.

Top Bottom