What's new

A good 5-buck shave

What can you get for 5 bucks nowadays?
Not much when it comes to cartridge razors.
This morning I shaved with the Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 (5 bucks at WallyWorld).
Bottom line: a darn good shave.
This low-priced gem has been mentioned in another thread, but after using it I thought it deserved its own title which be might be helpful to guys who prefer a cartridge razor (and wet-shave newbies) but are tired of paying mucho dinero for the name-brand cartridge packs.
The Tech 3 four-pack is only $5, the same as the razor itself, which comes with 2 carts.
The Tech 3 is a triple blade, adjusting head with a lube strip.
The handle is black and faux chrome with a comfortable rubber grip.
My basis for comparison is the Schick Hydro 5, which I've been using since May. The Hydro 5 is hands down the closest and most comfortable daily shave I've ever had.
(By the way, St.Louis-based Energizer owns both Schick and Wilkinson.)
This Tech 3 compares quite favorably with the Schick. The boxscore for this morning's shave: no runs, no nicks, no errors. BBS after going WTG and then ATG. Not too many touch-ups required. Shaving time: about 4 minutes, using Noxema (red can) foam.
The Tech 3 feels different on my face than the Hydro 5, quite comfortable but not as gentle as the Schick. (The Hydro 5 is one smooth shaving instrument. I can barely feel the blades on my face.)
A little history. I've been wet-shaving for more than 40 years (Gillette DE, Schick injector, various twin blades, Sensor Excel, Mach 3, etc. and recently reverted to DE briefly, but it didn't appeal to me. Maybe I don't have the patience or discpline right now to go retro.)
I've always enjoyed shaving. That's why I do it every day, and tomorrow I'll be using the Tech 3 again. For 5 bucks, it's hard to beat.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
the thing I never understood about these "hydro" and "lube" strips they put on cartridges is- what the hell good are they doing AFTER the blades cut? You would think you would put them before.

I don't know. Frankly, I don't know if they're just a gimmick or if they actually improve shave quality. All I know is the Hydro 5 delivers one fine shave and the Tech 3 might be right up there with it.
I've checked Walgreen's and another national chain but no Wilkinsons. I've only seen them at Walmart

I don't know. Frankly, I don't know if they're just a gimmick or if they actually improve shave quality. All I know is the Hydro 5 delivers one fine shave and the Tech 3 might be right up there with it.
I've checked Walgreen's and another national chain but no Wilkinsons. I've only seen them at Walmart

Good morning.
The slide strip have been its meaning: as the shaving head would plan rests on the skin. For example somewhat careless lathering the upper part of the blade block sticks to the skin and thus an increased resistance to pull out call - This could result in the skin can be wrinkled and foster Cuts;).

Greetings

Andreas

After 5 days with the Wilky Tech 3 I decided to use the Schick Hydro 5 to see if I really wanted to make the switch to save a few bucks.
No, I don't.
Yes, the Tech 3 delivers a very good shave, especially when you consider the dirt-cheap price tag.
But when it comes to overall shave quality -- closeness and comfort -- it doesn't quite measure up to the Hydro 5, which is the most comfortable shaving instrument I have ever used.
And while I've been shaving with the Hyrdro 5 for about 7 months, I am still amazed at how downright smooth and gentle this razor is.
For my money, the Hydro 5 remains the king of the carts.

Top Bottom