What's new

A free tip for those of you trying to build a vintage Gillette collection on the cheap...

I am not on facebook, but my wife is. Occasionally, out of boredom, I'll pick up her phone and check out facebook marketplace for the various things I'm interested in.

The other day, I got the idea to look for vintage razors. And oh boy. Let me tell you, this is the place to buy vintage razors. I got an almost mint Black Beauty in a lot with a vintage tin of aftershave powder and a cool pair of round brass eyeglass for $15! I could sell the glasses for $15! Go check it out and report back with what's available in your area - I want to know if this was a fluke or if fb marketplace is really a treasure trove.

I've found some like that by joining antique groups on FB where people were advertising razors. The new FB layout has made searching inside groups a bit difficult.

I do a frequent check but normally come up empty handed. Found a post about a month ago with a nice mix of DEs. Scooped up a pre-war fat handle tech and a slim adjustable. Trying to limit my RAD

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
+2 I ditched my Facebook account a year ago and have not missed it a bit.

Ditched mine about 8 years ago and have never looked back. Often some local business in my community uses facebook as their primary source of communication or on line presence, but I can 99% of the time simply view their page just fine without the need to ever log in or have an account.

+2 I ditched my Facebook account a year ago and have not missed it a bit.
I had an account ten years ago for 3 days and I understood right then and there that it is not something I want. And the deletion process is overly long and complicated. I don't like Facebook at all and avoid it at all costs.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I am not on facebook, but my wife is. Occasionally, out of boredom, I'll pick up her phone and check out facebook marketplace for the various things I'm interested in.

The other day, I got the idea to look for vintage razors. And oh boy. Let me tell you, this is the place to buy vintage razors. I got an almost mint Black Beauty in a lot with a vintage tin of aftershave powder and a cool pair of round brass eyeglass for $15! I could sell the glasses for $15! Go check it out and report back with what's available in your area - I want to know if this was a fluke or if fb marketplace is really a treasure trove.

did you have to pick it up, or was it posted?

I had an account ten years ago for 3 days and I understood right then and there that it is not something I want. And the deletion process is overly long and complicated. I don't like Facebook at all and avoid it at all costs.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Nope, you're not the only one. I remember when it was the hot thing and everyone telling me "You need an account." Nah, I lived through AOL, GeoCities, and MySpace, didn't need to do it again. Best tech decision I ever made.

did you have to pick it up, or was it posted?

It was 15 minutes from my house, so I went and picked it up.

And this isn't a thread about how facebook sucks, which is a sentiment that I wholeheartedly agree with. I am not on facebook, and I am not suggesting that anyone who is not currently on facebook should join facebook to buy vintage razors. This thread is for people who are on facebook, or for people like me who are not on facebook but have access to someone else's facebook.

It was 15 minutes from my house, so I went and picked it up.

And this isn't a thread about how facebook sucks, which is a sentiment that I wholeheartedly agree with. I am not on facebook, and I am not suggesting that anyone who is not currently on facebook should join facebook to buy vintage razors. This thread is for people who are on facebook, or for people like me who are not on facebook but have access to someone else's facebook.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread Momento. I will try to refrain from being my sarcastic self in the future :ouch1:

Sorry if I hijacked your thread Momento. I will try to refrain from being my sarcastic self in the future :ouch1:

Haha. No worries. I just don't want anyone misinterpreting me as someone who uses/enjoys/endorses facebook in any way. I loathe it. If I couldn't pick up my wife's phone to look at fb marketplace, this thread wouldn't exist.

Nope, you're not the only one. I remember when it was the hot thing and everyone telling me "You need an account." Nah, I lived through AOL, GeoCities, and MySpace, didn't need to do it again. Best tech decision I ever made.
Aaah how I miss those AOL disks...

Top Bottom