What's new

A decent leather watch strap

Hi guys.
Any recommendations?
Brands?
Vendors?
Looking to replace a crappy generic one on an vintage Elgin.
Something halfway decent...black.
Thanks.

Depends a lot on how much you want to spend. Crown and Buckle has a selection at reasonable prices. Leather Watch Straps | Crown & Buckle

Alternatively Hirsch has a wide selection that are readily available online. Then there are some nice bespoke options in shell cordovan and other premium leather and skins - lots of vendors on the watch forums and prices can go as high as you're willing to pay.

I suggest measure the width of the the "horns" - typically somewhere between 16 and 24 mm so that you know the size since most straps come in a limited range of sizes. Another consideration is length - standard works fine unless you have unusually large wrists. Then thickness - a slim lines leather or a thicker padded one will change the look and feel of the watch. Match the buckle color to the watch (gold or SS). Lastly consider buying new spring bars and tool (a few $). You can make do with a bent paper clip but are likely to scratch the watch. Make sure that the tips of the bars are properly seated - don't want to lose the watch due to a jumped out bar. Ideally, you could get several different ones and a spring bar tool and switch them around from time to time - an instant AD to add to shaving gear!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I get various leather straps by Rios 1931, Fluco, Hirsch, etc. from a couple good vendors.
In the states, Holben's Fine Watch Bands
Direct from Germany, also home of famous BOB bands (great value) Watch Bands | WACCEX ®

I get various leather straps by Rios 1931, Fluco, Hirsch, etc. from a couple good vendors. In the states, Holben's Fine Watch Bands
+10 on Holben's. Great family run company. I have bought from them many times.

This thread is an excellent resource for replacements. Thanks for posting it and also for the most recent bump, to bring it back to the spotlight.

I ordered a very nice looking Strapsco Italian leather Bund strap in blue from a German eBay seller to mod my Amphibia 090
proxy.php

It says it's 44% off in the ad - I'll post pics of it on my 090 in one of the threads when it arrives

Vintage Italy Echt Leder Uhrband 20mm,22mm,24mm Uhrenarmband Leather Watch Strap | eBay

Some of the straps from the USA StrapsCo seller on eBay look amazing
strapscoen ebay

Last edited:
Hi Moonshine! I just wanted to give you a shout out as I have not seen you post here in a while (though we may tend to frequent different sub-forums).

I still admire my Moonshine strop even though it has gotten little exercise lately. I have too many watch straps, though maybe not so many in leather. Do you still make belts on occasion too?

Hi Moonshine! I just wanted to give you a shout out as I have not seen you post here in a while (though we may tend to frequent different sub-forums).

I still admire my Moonshine strop even though it has gotten little exercise lately. I have too many watch straps, though maybe not so many in leather. Do you still make belts on occasion too?

Sorry for the thread hijack... Hey James! Thanks for the SO! Yes, I do!

Top Bottom