What's new

A Coffee and/or Tea Pass?

I like the idea of the tea club. As long as the monthly cost is fairly low. Another advantage is that if someones funds are low, or they are too busy, they can skip a month pretty easily (provided that we have enough people join). The idea of sending all money to one person who then pays the vendor is a good idea too. Would we rotate who coordinates ordering each month, or assign a few people to different vendors?

Either way, Im in. This will be a great way for me to make the jump to other teas other than green and acutally know what I'm tasting.

Ok - can I get a show of hands as to who would be interested in a tea of the month type of thing?

I'd like to get some number before I contact vendors.

Also, some suggestions for both vendors and teas would be appreciated.

My goal it make the monthly buy-in around $15 with shipping.

I thought that for the first month, we would go with an "introduction to good tea" theme, with one sample each of a good green, black and oolong - but that's just a suggestion.

I'll check with my wife, but I think we'll be interested. Mark me down as a probable maybe.

What about a group buy for a good starter pot?

Count me in!

Pick a vendor in the US to start with, so that the majority get their samples promptly.

Even Adagio do a six-tub sampler for $16, for example.

For a really decent introduction to tea, you could check to see if Guang at Houde Asian Art would set us up with something for the price you wanted. He has good yancha, Taiwanese wulong, and all manner of pu'er. That one might be worth saving for a later stage, once everyone's got their bearings with more entry-level tea, though.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I would be interested I think as well. I like the idea of buying in when you want. Although I will say it doesn't look like there would be a big following as of right now.

Here's my plan for the offerings - subject to input from those with more knowledge of teas.

1) Intro to good tea - one sample each of a middle of the road (as in typical of the genre) black, green and oolong

2) Green Teas - three samples of different green teas - possibly including a really good jasmine.

2) Oolong Teas - three samples of oolongs

4) Black Teas - three samples of different black teas

5) Intro to Pu Er teas - three samples of different pu er teas - green, cooked and whatever strikes our fancy.

We could then go from there and I'm sure people would be able to suggest teas or themes from there on - for example - Chinese black teas, Indian teas, Ceylon teas, etc...

Other than starting people off with the chance to just try a few very different types of teas, there's no magic, but I would like there to be some sort of "theme" for each month.

As for the tea pot buy, I'm no expert, but I think it would be ideal to get some suggestions for inexpensive tea pots/other teaware and then find a vendor for the first one or two months that could supply a pot/teaware at a good price as an add on to the tea.

Let me know if this makes sense - suggestions are encouraged and appreciated.

I would be interested I think as well. I like the idea of buying in when you want. Although I will say it doesn't look like there would be a big following as of right now.

5 expressions of interest in as many minutes...so I think getting at leat 10 people per month would likely be a snap.

Yeah I guess so, I should have looked at the times:blushing:

Since I was just posting on the tea vessels thread a group buy may be just what I'm looking for.

Being new to tea, a themed month sounds good to me. I think I would have more of a chance tasting differences that way.

5 expressions of interest in as many minutes...so I think getting at leat 10 people per month would likely be a snap.

Any more word on this? Do we need more people to commit? Has anyone spoken to dealers etc? Unfortunately I don't have the time or expertise to head this up.

I made a short list of people that have committed or said maybe. I put question marks next to others who posted earlier in the thread but did not comment after the proposal of a tea of the month instead of a tea pass.

JerimiahC
Fakaff
Edcculus
ravidpotatochip (maybe)
Suzuki
edenri
Scotto
Hobbesoxon
letterk (maybe)
TimmyBoston (?)
bman40 (?)
analog_kid (?)
Ouch (?)

How many people would we have to have to make this worth while for vendors? Just trying to get the ball rolling, or find out if it is even going to roll.

Dang, guys, I obviously don't read this forum enough. I'd love to get in on a "tea of the month" club, especially if we've got some educated fellows that will perhaps direct our purchasing (I'm looking at you Hobbes! and of course, Suzuki, Scotto, etc). I had held off of volunteering for the pass because I didn't think I'd have anything to offer, but this sounds right up my alley.

I would be interested in trying this out. I have not drank tea like this before but I am willing to try it for a month or so. As I have no idea what i am doing and suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Yeah, I totally take this back now, it does seem like enough people are interested. Any luck with anything yet?

Top Bottom