What's new

90x/600x Combo Oil Stone

reading that it isn't a aggressive cutter like water stones seems to be a better idea for bevel setting........

out of curiosity why such a coarse stone??

i have a king 1k that i use for bevels and it is plenty fast enough.... i don't understand the need for coarser or faster...

I use a 600x on occasion - I also have a 400x that sees some action. 90x seems a bit harsh - but grit levels vary from mfgr to mfgr and there are other factors at play too; so maybe it would be useful. If I had that stone - I would proceed with extreme caution on a junk blade first.

reading that it isn't a aggressive cutter like water stones seems to be a better idea for bevel setting........

i have a king 1k that i use for bevels and it is plenty fast enough.... i don't understand the need for coarser or faster...

Yes, my sense from the description is that it might be analogous to a 1000x water stone. I too have a King 1000x for setting bevels and for carbon kitchen knives. The reason for the 600x oil stone is fairly intuitive; what I am after is a more "consistent" or "localized" progression with the Arkansas stones--sort of like what my grandfathers might have used "back in the day." This is perhaps the closest I have found thus far--apart from a Washita, which, as Gamma has advised me in the past, may be too much for a razor (the same being true for the 90x side here).

Last edited:

Also, if the oil stone is ANSI and the King stone is JIS, then it is possible that the "lower" 600x ANSI rating is equivalent to 1000x-1200x JIS. Had to refer to an earlier thread I started a while back, where PapaFish linked to the following thread on the subject:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243298-Micron-to-Grit-Graph/page2

Last edited:
Top Bottom