What's new

8000 grit whetstone

hello, can anyone give me feedback please, on a Kitayama 8000 grit whetstone? Is this a decent stone for straight razors, from anyone with experience with one? I have not found any information on it.
thanks.

hello, can anyone give me feedback please, on a Kitayama 8000 grit whetstone? Is this a decent stone for straight razors, from anyone with experience with one? I have not found any information on it.
thanks.
I had one and it was horrible, easily the single worst stone of any type I have ever tried. It had some quite large bits of natural stone mixed in with the 8k grit. No matter how long it soaked, the large bits still were harder and caused damage to the edge.

The Naniwa “Snow White” 8k is a very nice, easy to use, and easy to like stone. Definitely recommend it over the Kitayama, not even close.

For an 8K stone look no further than the Fugi. While the Snow White is a very nice stone it has cracking issues. And for that reason alone I wouldn’t recommend it. Mine is all cracked up but I can still use it. The Fugi as far as I can tell doesn’t suffer the same fate.

It’s a very nice stone too.

There are probably a dozen or more YT videos about the Kit 8k.

Opinions vary. At one time the hive mentality tried to make everyone believe it was really a 10k stone.
It isn't 10k.
As an 8k, meh...needs to soak and even then it's still meh.

The original question though, not enough info.

Is the 8k Kit decent in what regard? In what progression, what are your needs and expectations? Are you buying it or is someone giving it to you, what are your other stones? Why is this stone on your radar?
Sharing some context would be helpful.

I mean, you can hone on it. Sure. Many people have honed on it.

It is a good stone, very similar (even looks like) to a King Icebear 8-10k, sold in the past as both 8 & 10k, both of which are capable of producing a finish similar to a Naniwia 12k.

For a few dollars more the Fuji and Snow White have a bit more range and polish a bit better.

Even crazed, the Snow White will still finish or pre finish a razor just fine.

Is the 8k Kit decent in what regard? In what progression, what are your needs and expectations? Are you buying it or is someone giving it to you, what are your other stones? Why is this stone on your radar?
Sharing some context would be helpful.
I saw the YT videos, they were for kitchen knives, I was not sure if they still perform for straight razors. I have been using a Shapton Pro 5000 and a Pro 12000. I was beginning to think about filling the gap. I guess I was looking at the Kitayama 8000 because of the size and price to purchase new. I have been wearing down my Shapton Pro stones with carpenter tools mainly by flattening the stones regularly. The lower grit stones have gone down really fast.
I think by all the replies on this I am better off getting one of the other stones mentioned.
I am not in a hurry, because I save a few bucks a little bit at a time for stones or plates. Thanks for the feedback.

I saw the YT videos, they were for kitchen knives, I was not sure if they still perform for straight razors. I have been using a Shapton Pro 5000 and a Pro 12000. I was beginning to think about filling the gap.
There are a couple/few vids that reference razor honing. But your specific context is more important.
If I had a 4k and 12k Shapton Pro and wanted something in the middle, I'd consider the 8k Pro.

The Kit 8k is a usable option but the feedback and wear resistance is way better with the Pro 8k IMO.
I found the Kit hit it's stride with 30 minutes of soak time, or more. The Pro needs no soaking at all.
The Shapton 12k Pro will leave a finer polish and a sharper edge than either the KIt 8k or the Pro 8k. So will a Naniwa 12k SS.
The Kit is not equal to a legit 10-12k stone.

The Fuji will wear fast if you are lapping often, it's like a Nani SS in that way.
The SW would wear better under frequent lapping.
The 8k I use most often is the Shapton 8k Pro. Takes a beating keeps on ticking.

It makes sense and is very helpful to have hands-on information explained in this thread. I have also been trying to search the past threads also.
I appreciate it.

Top Bottom