What's new

59 Gillette Fatboy

Hello everyone,
Last weekend I won a 59 fatboy on Ebay. It arrived today and is in great condition. Very shiny and clean looking and mechanically seems to be sound. My question is this how do I sanitize the razor before I use it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tom

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can boil it, and a soak in a diluted bleach solution couldn't hurt, either. I have a '59 also (E1) and it's a great razor- very gentle.

Scrub with a toothbrush and dish soap, boil it, scrub again then soak in rubbing alchohol or a 10:1 water/bleach solution for a few minuts. Works for me.

If you go to a search engine and type " how to sterilize", you will get all the data you need. Boiling in an old pan is great. My wife refuses to let me use the good kitchen ware. I also drop a bit of vinegar in the water.

I realize I'm in the minority here... I've only bought a few used razors and I go for the clean ones. The seller has always said he sterilized them... just to be sure I just pour the bleach right on them and then I give them a double wash in piping hot water and an antibacterial soap. YMMV - I've experienced no ill effects from the bleach. I personally think anti-bacterial soap is fine.

We all eat off dishes and use silverware that hundreds of other people have used almost daily - and that stuff gets washed with nothing but soap and hot water. Don't get me wrong... if I had a scummy old razor with whiskers and built-up soap on it, I'd boil it and the whole nine yards. If it looks clean and there's no medium for the bacteria to live, I think anti-bacterial soap is probably just fine and the boiling is overkill.

The difference is razors have nooks and crannys down in the handle that you cannot get to for cleaning. That is what I want a disinfecting soak for. Yes the risk is almost not existant...but 5 cents of bleach is a worth while investment for a used razor that is potentianly full of dried blood. Also, by law, the silverware and dishes you refer to ARE sanitized in all restraunts. As for Vinegar, I would not use it on a fatboy...someone here had a problem with the brass or copper washer under the adjuster leaching off and turning the chrome copper color.

I realize I'm in the minority here... I've only bought a few used razors and I go for the clean ones. The seller has always said he sterilized them... just to be sure I just pour the bleach right on them and then I give them a double wash in piping hot water and an antibacterial soap. YMMV - I've experienced no ill effects from the bleach. I personally think anti-bacterial soap is fine.

We all eat off dishes and use silverware that hundreds of other people have used almost daily - and that stuff gets washed with nothing but soap and hot water. Don't get me wrong... if I had a scummy old razor with whiskers and built-up soap on it, I'd boil it and the whole nine yards. If it looks clean and there's no medium for the bacteria to live, I think anti-bacterial soap is probably just fine and the boiling is overkill.

Top Bottom