What's new

3rd Time is the charm . taming the (R41) beast

Several months ago, I picked up an R41 used. The former owner couldn't get an acceptable shave, so elected to let it go.

My first two shaves were spaced weeks apart and absolutely horrible. Not close, lots of irritation, and weepers galore.

I too considered letting this razor go to someone with more courage, or tougher skin, but couldn't quite give it up. I went back to my original DE approach and did research on this specific razor, right here on B&B.

Today I worked up the nerve to have at it again. My approach was quite similar to my first DE shave. Very slow, shallow angle and virtually no pressure.

It worked like a charm today and I don't think I've had a better shave in a long time (after just two passes).

In retrospect, I feel like I went at this shave with similar "newbie respect" as I did with my first DE shave. The margin of difference in technique between a cartridge and my other DEs is similar to the margin of difference between my other DEs and the R41.

Bottom line, I think I'll hold on to this lovely razor. Probably not for weekdays, when I'm more time bound, but as a weekend shaver, with ample time (and typically a shave when far more awake) it'll be hard to beat.

I had a very similar experience with my FaTip Grande. Regretted the purchase for the first few shaves but could not bring myself to get rid of it. About a dozen shaves later, it is now one of my favorite razors; so much so that I bought the Piccolo for travel.

No pressure is the key. You'll be able to shave with it daily and half-asleep in no time! :lol:

It's good to hear it ultimately worked out for you. I'm in the same boat as you. I get a much more enjoyable shave going shallow on the angle.

I had a bad first experience with a fatip and was nervous about using the r41 for a while. I worked on technique and found that once I was using a his soap and getting a good lather I was his to go with either razor. I won't say I haven't had a weeper or some irritation ever when shaving with these beauty's but as long as respect them and focus on a good shave. ..they are awesome

With a little more time and practice you won't hesitate to use it as a daily shaver. Once your technique with the R41 is perfected you won't think about it any more and just shave away.

Nice you got it working for you! I agree with other here, after some time you will be able to get good shaves without even needing to concentrate any extra. R41 is the razor I use most often in sauna, and there I shave without mirror.

As a general hint when it comes to R41: Use more sharp blades than with other razors!

I find R41 to be especially eager to jump, pull and skip if the blade is not sharp enough. This is something you definitely do not want an aggressive razor to do. The blade need to be sharp enough to slice without effort through the whiskers. (Besides a good beard softening preparation)

Top Bottom