What's new

3 to 2 button roll help

Dear B&Ber's,

I have heard much talk on here and other places about the preference for a three button suit "rolled" to two buttons. I have a suit that fits the profile, and begins to suggest the roll, but doesn't make it all the way.

Who has a tip on how to accentuate the roll without actually pressing it into the lapels? Is there a secret that I'm missing?

Unfortunately, that is my problem... a good tailor. In this case my shoulders fit well, as does the length, breast, etc... The vast majority of tailors around here refuse to alter sleeve length (especially if the cuff buttons are functional), and nobody will touch the lapels.

So, does anyone else have a suggestion to enhance the 3-2 roll?

I had a tailor refuse to take in the sides of my jacket, my normal tailor said that I a lot of tailors are no longer doing difficult jobs because:
a) its a hassle; and/or
b) they don't know how; and/or
c) liability, they have to pay for the suit if they screw it up.

If you ever come to DC, I can recommend a hell of a tailor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dear B&Ber's,

I have heard much talk on here and other places about the preference for a three button suit "rolled" to two buttons. I have a suit that fits the profile, and begins to suggest the roll, but doesn't make it all the way.

Who has a tip on how to accentuate the roll without actually pressing it into the lapels? Is there a secret that I'm missing?

Well, don't press it into the lapels! :ohmy:

It's meant to be a gradual, natural and soft roll, not a hard-pressed 'crease', so let the jacket do it's own thing naturally. If the jacket is meant to be a 2-roll-3 then it will look 'proper' when buttoned at the middle button; if it was designed to be buttoned at the top button, buttoning the middle only will look bad ... unless you get major reconstructive surgery from a very good tailor (which is probably not cost-effective for a cheap suit or dangerous to try on an expensive suit).

A "roll" lapel is constructed differently than that of a true three-button jacket. Be thankful that you can take your jacket to a drycleaner without losing sleep and leave it be.

Top Bottom