What's new

2nd brush help.

Embarrassed as I am, I must confess to only owning one brush, a Simpson chubby3/best. I am quite happy with it, and if I never stumbled onto B&B, I would never have even thought about getting another brush. But, here we are and maybe I’m the only one on the forum with only a single measly brush!

So, for variety sake alone, I am ready to add another. I think I want a synthetic. I mostly use hard soaps and I face lather.
I want a knot no bigger than my chubby and maybe smaller. Some backbone but nice soft tips. Something that will feel a little different than my Simpson.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I know very little about synthetics, so I'm no help there, but I do feel qualified in saying that your requirement that the brush have a knot smaller than the one in your Chubby 3 eliminates about 4 brushes from your search :001_tt2:

Not to be difficult, but you could also consider a boar brush (my second favorite category after badger)!

Dear sir, there is no reason to be embarrassed! We have all started with just 1 brush and couldn't stop buying later! Wait, i wasn't supposed to write this, was i?! :lol1:

Before buying a brush, to see real dimensions, i ALWAYS visit youtube to see the brush in action. Useful to see also the dimensions relative to other objects.

So you have a lonely Chubby! This is so sad! We MUST find him company immediately and i am sure we will! Oh, poor, little Chubby standing there all alone! Not even having time to dry properly! It's heartbreaking! I immediately thought of this! The Lonely Chubby! :c17:

(I bet @alin likes this!)

Chubby3 is 29x54mm knot.

Aside the Trafalgar, mentioned above, that should have similar backbone to Chubby, something with medium backbone and a more blooming feeling, would be a 24mm plissoft or Timberwolf knot. Maggards in USA and Yaqi in Aliexpress have them. They are 24x56mm according to Maggards, lower backbone, but they can handle soaps just fine. Magard razors also have a 22x54mm. My favorite synthetics.

Here is the tricky part. Most synthetics are more "bloomy" than a Simpson brush. So while technically smaller knot, it might have a larger face feel. Which is why i advise you to see in youtube the brush before buying. There is also the Omega Evo with 55mm loft, but i can't find the knot size. But most people argue that the fiber is too similar to Trafalgar.

Good luck and happy shaves, sir. And do not worry. Nobody ever left this place asking to buy, without being satisfied.

EDITING: Wait, i just measured my Yaqi myself. The 24mm Yaqis are 24x50mm*. This also applies to the green handle motherlode knot and the purple haze, as well as Timberwolf.

*The Yaqi plissoft is 24x56. Check also Razorock Bruce for dimensions. Probably it will be 24x56 too. The plissoft is a bit floppier than the other knots.

EDITING 2: I see Yaqis are also available in some USA shops.

Last edited:
Addendum to my previous post.

Most common chinese knots. They have different colors.

- Plissoft:

1.png

- Timberwolf

-
3.png

- Mew Brown:

2.png

- Motherlode:

4.png

- Tuxedo:

6.png

There is also completely blonde the chashmere and maybe one completely white...

The Tuxedo has the highest backbone. Some Semogue boars have less backbone. The plissoft the lowest backbone. The others are in between, with probably not much difference.

My recommendation is based on what you currently use and like and a brush I just got. As soon as you read this, go to the Simpsons website and get a Chubby 3 LE Sovereign Fibre brush.

It will feel a little smaller than your current brush (no bloom to speak of), it will have the same great handle size and shape that you enjoy. They now have some great resin colors instead of Ivory Vein, if you want to spice it up some. This brush has the same synthetic fiber as the Tralfagar brushes.
354075B4-4035-4E0B-AEA5-C48D05AB543E.jpeg
7E1916BE-DCD1-40C3-8A03-A701002F33D5.jpeg

I have yet to find a synthetic brush with enough backbone for my preference. They are super soft, but too floppy for me. The closest I've found to be nearly acceptable is the Stirling 26mm knot with pro handle. I do use it on occasion,, but prefer badger or boar over synthetic. Probably larger than your Chubby 3. If you find something that comes close to your Simpson, let me know.....I would be all over that.

Edit: Well, I stand corrected. The post above mine may be your solution. I may check that out as well.

I have yet to find a synthetic brush with enough backbone for my preference. They are super soft, but too floppy for me. The closest I've found to be nearly acceptable is the Stirling 26mm knot with pro handle. I do use it on occasion,, but prefer badger or boar over synthetic. Probably larger than your Chubby 3. If you find something that comes close to your Simpson, let me know.....I would be all over that.

Edit: Well, I stand corrected. The post above mine may be your solution. I may check that out as well.

Just so that i am clear sir. My experience is based on Yaqi knots. Because much depends on the glue height. Some other manufacturer can take the same knot, put much less glue and automatically the brush will be floppier. I have 2 Yaqi tuxedos:

aaaaa.png
bbb.png

These 2, have about 15mm glue bump. This effectively reduced the loft. The backbone is very high. I prefer my other, floppier Yaqis. But if someone wants really boar-like backbone, more than Semogues, these 2 are right there. They don't splay so easily.

The plissoft is the most luxurious/floppiest. The mew brown is probably the second higher in backbone after the tuxedo, but with more natural splay. The Timberwolf is the most balanced. I 'd say just below the mew brown. The motherlode i have used just once, going by memory, is more similar to the Timberwolf or between Timberwolf and plissoft.

Just going by instinct, because i would have to use them all side by side to be accurate. The newer models, also seem to have less gluebump compared to my 2 Tuxedos.

Reactions: dfs
Embarrassed as I am, I must confess to only owning one brush, a Simpson chubby3/best. I am quite happy with it, and if I never stumbled onto B&B, I would never have even thought about getting another brush. But, here we are and maybe I’m the only one on the forum with only a single measly brush!

So, for variety sake alone, I am ready to add another. I think I want a synthetic. I mostly use hard soaps and I face lather.
I want a knot no bigger than my chubby and maybe smaller. Some backbone but nice soft tips. Something that will feel a little different than my Simpson.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Why would you be embarrassed?? Some of us are actually striving to use only one brush / one razor. I'm one of those "minimalist" guys.

With that out of the way, I'd get a Chubby 2 Synthetic - a fair bit smaller than your CH3, ultra-soft tips, yet tremendous backbone, great for face-lathering. A much cheaper option from Simpson would be their Trafalgar line. The T3 is similar in size to CH2. I use the T3 with both my hard triple milled soaps and croaps & creams. Works like a charm. And I happen to face-lather, as well.

I have yet to find a synthetic brush with enough backbone...
From low to high $$$:

Omega Roma line
Simpson Trafalgar line
Omega Evo line
Simpson Chubby line

All have tremendous backbone. Some would say too strong for face lathering (swirling, mashing). I do it with my T3 nonetheless.

Just so that i am clear sir. My experience is based on Yaqi knots. Because much depends on the glue height. Some other manufacturer can take the same knot, put much less glue and automatically the brush will be floppier. I have 2 Yaqi tuxedos:

View attachment 1260557 View attachment 1260558

These 2, have about 15mm glue bump. This effectively reduced the loft. The backbone is very high. I prefer my other, floppier Yaqis. But if someone wants really boar-like backbone, more than Semogues, these 2 are right there. They don't splay so easily.

The plissoft is the most luxurious/floppiest. The mew brown is probably the second higher in backbone after the tuxedo, but with more natural splay. The Timberwolf is the most balanced. I 'd say just below the mew brown. The motherlode i have used just once, going by memory, is more similar to the Timberwolf or between Timberwolf and plissoft.

Just going by instinct, because i would have to use them all side by side to be accurate. The newer models, also seem to have less gluebump compared to my 2 Tuxedos.

Good info...thank you. I haven't tried very many synthetics, but of the ones I've used, I wasn't too impressed (except for their softness).

From low to high $$$:

Omega Roma line
Simpson Trafalgar line
Omega Evo line
Simpson Chubby line

All have tremendous backbone. Some would say too strong for face lathering (swirling, mashing). I do it with my T3 nonetheless.

Thank you for the list of brushes. I may have to try a few of them.

Good info...thank you. I haven't tried very many synthetics, but of the ones I've used, I wasn't too impressed (except for their softness).

Unfortunately, with brushes, it's pretty much "try and see for yourself". I have Muhle black fiber, Omega blonde and black fibre and then the kinds of Yaqis i mentioned. I kept buying Yaqis because i was so satisfied, so i just started buying different handles... I also have a Razorock Plissoft (which is rebranded Yaqi). And since i now have all kind of backbones, i have lost any wish to buy other, newer synthetics. All of the Yaqis are very soft at the tips. Softer than silvertip. Aside the tuxedo, the rest all splay pretty easily. Because i face lather, so i don't like brushes that don't splay easily.

Even the Plissoft has no trouble lathering hard soap.

Last edited:
Addendum to my previous post.

Most common chinese knots. They have different colors.

- Plissoft:

View attachment 1260520

- Timberwolf

- View attachment 1260521

- Mew Brown:

View attachment 1260522

- Motherlode:

View attachment 1260523

- Tuxedo:

View attachment 1260524

There is also completely blonde the chashmere and maybe one completely white...

The Tuxedo has the highest backbone. Some Semogue boars have less backbone. The plissoft the lowest backbone. The others are in between, with probably not much difference.
As far as Synths go I like the brown Pony quite a bit...
30A3E22D-299E-4A51-91A9-80B1BC5FA406.jpeg

Not to be difficult, but you could also consider a boar brush (my second favorite category after badger)!
This.

And it is nearly impossible to spend more than $50 on a high end boar. A Semogue Owners Club with a Taj resin handle is about as good as it gets and they are just under $50USD. Around $30 with a nice wood handle. Killer brushes.

I have many Simpson badgers and my $25 Semogue 1800 boar still gets used a lot.

Beyond that, Simpson also makes excellent Synthetics as mentioned above. A Chubby 2 in their top Platinum hair is about $75 and the Trafalgar 2 (Ch2 size-ish) and the Trafalgar 3 (CH3-ish) with Soverign bristles are dirt cheap and also excellent.

Top Bottom