What's new

2021ers?

Spent about a week and a half with the Lupo, 5-6 shaves total between the aforementioned Astra SP and a Personna. Personna was better, but still several weepers each shave. I really want to like shaving with the Lupo. I'm supposed to like it. People poo-poo aluminum razors because they're so light. This is stainless steel, an attractive razor, feels good in the hand - the weight, the grip of the handle, has the whole "let the weight of the razor do the work" thing going for it.

But the reality is, compared to my familiar Henson, I have to take more time with it to make sure I keep the angle right. Too shallow and I don't cut hair. Too steep, or any pressure at all, and I cut me. I'm reminded of something @spacemonkey42 said somewhere about wanting a great shave, not a challenging one. I can get a pretty good shave with the Lupo, and I'm sure that with practice, I can get a great shave. But is it worth it? Weeks of 30-minute shaves with tons of weepers and irritation trying to at least get close to BBS?

I put the Personna into my Henson for its 4th shave. In 15-20 minutes, I had a DFS+/BBS-, maybe 3 small weepers. I'm not going to say it's easy, but it's certainly easier. There's a lot to like about the Lupo, but it's going in my BST pile.

Spent about a week and a half with the Lupo, 5-6 shaves total between the aforementioned Astra SP and a Personna. Personna was better, but still several weepers each shave. I really want to like shaving with the Lupo. I'm supposed to like it. People poo-poo aluminum razors because they're so light. This is stainless steel, an attractive razor, feels good in the hand - the weight, the grip of the handle, has the whole "let the weight of the razor do the work" thing going for it.

But the reality is, compared to my familiar Henson, I have to take more time with it to make sure I keep the angle right. Too shallow and I don't cut hair. Too steep, or any pressure at all, and I cut me. I'm reminded of something @spacemonkey42 said somewhere about wanting a great shave, not a challenging one. I can get a pretty good shave with the Lupo, and I'm sure that with practice, I can get a great shave. But is it worth it? Weeks of 30-minute shaves with tons of weepers and irritation trying to at least get close to BBS?

I put the Personna into my Henson for its 4th shave. In 15-20 minutes, I had a DFS+/BBS-, maybe 3 small weepers. I'm not going to say it's easy, but it's certainly easier. There's a lot to like about the Lupo, but it's going in my BST pile.
Man that is drag. I haven't tried a Lupo. I think I remember you were looking for a RR BBS at the same time you picked up your lupo. If you still wanted to try a BBS I have 3 different plates and would be willing to trade. Its shipping to Canada but a cap and base plate wouldn't be too expensive.

Man that is drag. I haven't tried a Lupo. I think I remember you were looking for a RR BBS at the same time you picked up your lupo. If you still wanted to try a BBS I have 3 different plates and would be willing to trade. Its shipping to Canada but a cap and base plate wouldn't be too expensive.
Thanks... I was looking for any of the Razorock razors in the mild/medium range at the time just to try something different from the Henson, so the Lupo 58 scratched that itch for me. It's not bad, I've just come to expect a close, 15-minute shave with few weepers with the Henson. I can get a pretty good shave out of the Lupo (or probably any decent DE), but have just come to the conclusion that I don't want the challenge of getting to that same point with it. I'm ok with (relatively) easy. 😀

Thanks... I was looking for any of the Razorock razors in the mild/medium range at the time just to try something different from the Henson, so the Lupo 58 scratched that itch for me. It's not bad, I've just come to expect a close, 15-minute shave with few weepers with the Henson. I can get a pretty good shave out of the Lupo (or probably any decent DE), but have just come to the conclusion that I don't want the challenge of getting to that same point with it. I'm ok with (relatively) easy. 😀
lol, I agree. I find it takes me quite a few shaves with the same razor to get the quick effortless comfortable shave. Its to the point now I do not want to have a razor rotation having to relearn razors every few days. I might just start rotating razors monthly. 1 week to relearn the razor and then 3 weeks of quick comfortable shaves! 😀

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Sorry to hear that, T Bone. I would have guessed, like you did, that the Lupo 58SB would have been a perfect fit. I've said this many times, but when I first got to B&B, I had no idea how subjective traditional wet shaving is.... I'm having a similar issue with one AC blade for my two AC razors that is almost universally loved here: the Schick Proline P-30s.... I've tried 4 of the blades and had rough feeling shaves every single time, in both my AC razors. I'm mailing them off today to anyone B&B'er. He loves them too. LOL

Sorry to hear that, T Bone. I would have guessed, like you did, that the Lupo 58SB would have been a perfect fit.
Eh, it is what it is. Probably would be a perfectly good fit if I had just a little bit of patience to get used to it. But as I said before, I'd rather a relatively easy great shave than a challenging great shave!

I am totally with you in wanting a drama-free great shave, @T Bone! I'd even add that I don't think I can get a better shave than the Hensons can give. So more challenge does not mean a better shave.

I am having better luck with multiple razors, for some reason that aspect intrigues me. But like @Balin said, it is best to have a longer stint with each, a couple weeks or more. Even with razors I've used a lot it takes a few shaves to get reacquainted.

I remember @T Bone saying that he felt he had accomplished something when he got to the point of being able to pick up a new razor and shave with it and get a good result. I totally agree! So I wanted to share something - I got an aluminum Lupo off of BST and shaved with it for the first time today. I was pretty much nick free. I thought I had one, but by the time I finished shaving and rinsed there weren't any. No feedback with astringent either. Maybe I have learned a thing or two.

I have come to think that there is a big advantage with light aluminum razors - you can very easily apply zero pressure. That is presuming you don't try to make up for the lightness by pressing. I think that is an advantage to them.

I got an aluminum Lupo off of BST and shaved with it for the first time today. I was pretty much nick free. I thought I had one, but by the time I finished shaving and rinsed there weren't any. No feedback with astringent either. Maybe I have learned a thing or two.
Nice!!

I have come to think that there is a big advantage with light aluminum razors - you can very easily apply zero pressure. That is presuming you don't try to make up for the lightness by pressing. I think that is an advantage to them.
I think it must be all in what you're used to. Most razors are heavier materials, steel or plated zamak, so a lot of guys probably prefer a heftier razor because that's what they're used to.

I'm with you, I find it easier to avoid pressure with the aluminum Hensons because that's what I learned on and am used to. I could get a DFS with a stainless Lupo with little or no blood, but if I try to get to BBS, that's when I run into trouble. ATG is mostly south-to-north or a diagonal for me, so I'm trying to apply zero pressure while the weight of the razor is working against me.

I spoke too soon, I didn't do as well with the second shave, 2+ weepers. I am not sure if I got careless or what. Yes, if I get a nick it is usually the ATG pass that gets me, regardless of razor. I also don't have perfect skin, so a blemish might get nicked.

Agreed, they may prefer what they are used to, but also many equate heft with quality. I learned on a Merkur 34c, which is heavier than aluminum razors. The Winning razor is a real porker, it is likely my heaviest razor. The Henson is a feather in comparison, but it gives a better shave.

I spoke too soon, I didn't do as well with the second shave, 2+ weepers. I am not sure if I got careless or what. Yes, if I get a nick it is usually the ATG pass that gets me, regardless of razor. I also don't have perfect skin, so a blemish might get nicked.
Did you try to do more? My first shave with the stainless Lupo I didn't even attempt an ATG pass, I thought I'd be starting over with the new razor. I got no weepers, but I didn't get as close a shave either. After a shave or 2 when I realized it was different but still mostly similar, I tried working on getting a closer shave, and that's when I also started drawing some blood.

Agreed, they may prefer what they are used to, but also many equate heft with quality. I learned on a Merkur 34c, which is heavier than aluminum razors. The Winning razor is a real porker, it is likely my heaviest razor. The Henson is a feather in comparison, but it gives a better shave.
That kills my theory, lol! I think you're right though, whatever the reason, many seem to equate heft with quality. I even remember thinking of that as a negative of Henson when I was trying to decide what to replace my cartridge razor with, just because that seemed to be the prevailing wisdom.

Last edited:
I didn't try to do more, but my technique must have slipped. This only being the second shave, I haven't figured out how it likes to be used. It was the ATG pass and I must have had the wrong angle or added a bit of pressure or something. While some consider it a negative, I really like the locked-in angle of the Henson, that controls/removes one variable.

I need to stop coming to this forum, I keep buying razors. :)

Thanks for the laugh, @T Bone, and I am also kind of serious. I keep on finding razors I want to try. What a crazy hobby. I keep justifying it because I am making up for about 35 years. With this most recent round of safety razor shaving, I've been big on trying all kinds of razors, but I wouldn't have known about most of them if it wasn't for the B&B community.

Thanks for the laugh, @T Bone, and I am also kind of serious. I keep on finding razors I want to try. What a crazy hobby. I keep justifying it because I am making up for about 35 years. With this most recent round of safety razor shaving, I've been big on trying all kinds of razors, but I wouldn't have known about most of them if it wasn't for the B&B community.
Well don’t you go anywhere, I for one would miss your posts!

I hear you on making up for decades of lost time with carts and electrics though. Not entirely sure how I’ve avoided going too deep into the razor rabbit hole. There’s plenty of discussion here of nice razors even in the reasonable price range, it’s easy to want to give them a try!

That's really nice of you to say, cheers @T Bone! I've enjoyed sharing and learning with you too!

I jumped into safety razor shaving this time wanting to try a ton of razors, so I asked for it. I just didn't know how bad it would get. ;) Eventually I may sell off some, but my technique and preferences are changing, so for now I'm enjoying the hobby. One bad part is when I switch I have to re-learn the tiny quirks of each razor, maybe I'll get them all programmed into my muscle memory, but I kind of doubt it.

I got a nick-free shave with the aluminum Lupo this morning, so that's good. It wasn't the best shave in the world, but I did go ATG with it carefully.

Hey, if any of you want an awesome razor on a closeout sale grab a Blackland Era, their stainless 3D printer stopped production of this great razor, so it is a fire sale.

I knew you were laughing with me, and glad you can also find the humor in this strange hobby. Oh well, like I tell my wife, I have to do it most days, might as well find some way to enjoy it, previously I did not at all.

This weekend I tried two new things. One is an AC single edge razor, it is a cheap Yaqi, but wanted to try something to see if I was blown away and wanted to save up for a Blackland Vector. So far I am not terribly impressed, but I think it might be related to technique with these style razors, so I have to use it quite a bit more. I am using Feather Professional AC blades and they seem to tug and skip. I've heard that you then have to add pressure if that happens, but I've been trying so hard not to that it feels weird. But I found a similar thing with an injector razor - if I ride the cap and put some pressure on the cap, it seems to shave better. Have you all tried that? That does seem to help a bit, but more learning is necessary.

The other was giving my first spin to a synthetic brush. I didn't really like it, it is too soft. Most folks like softer brushes, so I am not the norm. I started with and tend to like stiffer boar brushes. I've got thick whiskers and stiffer brushes seem to whip up lather easier and also scrub my face and possibly lift whiskers more. Certainly just personal preferences and whisker/face conditions.

So, more experimentation with this silly hobby. Cheers! 🍻

This weekend I tried two new things. One is an AC single edge razor, it is a cheap Yaqi, but wanted to try something to see if I was blown away and wanted to save up for a Blackland Vector. So far I am not terribly impressed, but I think it might be related to technique with these style razors, so I have to use it quite a bit more. I am using Feather Professional AC blades and they seem to tug and skip. I've heard that you then have to add pressure if that happens, but I've been trying so hard not to that it feels weird. But I found a similar thing with an injector razor - if I ride the cap and put some pressure on the cap, it seems to shave better. Have you all tried that? That does seem to help a bit, but more learning is necessary.
I haven't tried AC or injectors myself. Partly trying not to buy too many new razors, partly not wanting to have to keep around another type of blade. The skipping with some DE blades is what's making me slowly move toward medium-sharp blades. The skipping didn't bother me too much earlier on because those blades didn't cut me as much as sharper blades. But now that my technique is somewhat better, the sharper blades are more efficient and comfortable and don't cut me any more than less sharp blades. The Vector looks nice though, I like the small head, I bet it's nice for getting to harder to shave spots like under the nose. The bevels on the new Henson is something I'm looking forward to when I eventually upgrade, hoping easier to shave those spots.

The other was giving my first spin to a synthetic brush. I didn't really like it, it is too soft. Most folks like softer brushes, so I am not the norm. I started with and tend to like stiffer boar brushes. I've got thick whiskers and stiffer brushes seem to whip up lather easier and also scrub my face and possibly lift whiskers more. Certainly just personal preferences and whisker/face conditions.
That's crazy! 😲 J/K, I'm very much into the softest synthetics. You won't find a synthetic that will approach a boar (at least I don't think so, I never tried a boar), but if you're up for another shot at a synth, I'd look at AP Shave. Andrew has a variety of knots and his prices are very reasonable. If you PM him, he'll help you pick out a knot and a loft (I suspect you'll want a relatively low loft for more stiffness). You'll probably spend more than something like a Yaqi, but I bet you can get away with something in the $30-40 range plus shipping.

edit: Just looked at his site, he actually has some faux boar knots. I love his handcrafted handles, but you can get away with a faux boar on a nice clear base handle for about $30, including shipping from Canada!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't tried AC or injectors myself. Partly trying not to buy too many new razors, partly not wanting to have to keep around another type of blade. The skipping with some DE blades is what's making me slowly move toward medium-sharp blades. The skipping didn't bother me too much earlier on because those blades didn't cut me as much as sharper blades. But now that my technique is somewhat better, the sharper blades are more efficient and comfortable and don't cut me any more than less sharp blades. The Vector looks nice though, I like the small head, I bet it's nice for getting to harder to shave spots like under the nose. The bevels on the new Henson is something I'm looking forward to when I eventually upgrade, hoping easier to shave those spots.

That's crazy! 😲 J/K, I'm very much into the softest synthetics. You won't find a synthetic that will approach a boar (at least I don't think so, I never tried a boar), but if you're up for another shot at a synth, I'd look at AP Shave. Andrew has a variety of knots and his prices are very reasonable. If you PM him, he'll help you pick out a knot and a loft (I suspect you'll want a relatively low loft for more stiffness). You'll probably spend more than something like a Yaqi, but I bet you can get away with something in the $30-40 range plus shipping.

edit: Just looked at his site, he actually has some faux boar knots. I love his handcrafted handles, but you can get away with a faux boar on a nice clear base handle for about $30, including shipping from Canada!
If you decide to go down the AC format path, I'd take a close look at the Above the Tie X1 AC Slant razor. It's a joy to use. It's slightly better for me than my beloved ESC Claymore Evolution. I haven't purchased the Vector at this point. Based on my reading here, I think it might be a bit much for me... It's probably another step or two more efficient than the ATT X1, based on the experience of other people here. Take this with a pillar of salt, since as you know, I'm still new to this whole traditional wet shaving thing and YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom