What's new

2021ers?

For me, I am a daily shaver and I try to shave for two weeks straight with any new razor before making my full initial impression. It often takes four shaves before I get the hang of it, and sometimes more. It is normal for me to get a couple of weepers with the first few shaves on a new razor. Once they settle in to one to no weepers, then I feel like I can make a fair evaluation of it. That is just the first impression. I haven't BSTed anything yet, I will likely test it more before getting rid of it. For favorite, I'd need a lot more than that.

What are you thinking? Your evaluation of the + vs ++ was quite impressive, @T Bone!
I’m a 1 razor kind of guy (a weirdo here, I know!) so I'm really just looking for what works best for me, not a rotation.

I’ve only tried 4 razors to date. I started with a Henson+ for 7-8 months and got a Henson++ when I felt like I’d hit my ceiling with that. After a few shaves, I decided I liked the ++ better and kept with it, but soon got a Henson+++, and Lupo .58 to try something different. I shaved with the +++ for about 10 shaves and the Lupo for about 15-20 before deciding neither beat the ++ for me and they went into the back of my cabinet.

I kept all 4 for awhile, figuring I was still pretty new at this and my technique was still changing and improving, so I'd come back to them, and only recently pulled the others out to try them again. Mild was first, as you know I shaved with that and the medium on different days for about 4 weeks and still prefer the medium. I then gave the Lupo a few more shaves, and decided to sell that too.

Now I'm on to the Henson +++. I've only been at it for a week, but now I have a Blackland Era incoming, and I also signed up for the Le Maurice passaround, which I expect to get to me in about 3 weeks. I'll stick mostly with the +++ until Le Maurice gets here (though I'll certainly have a shave with the Era as soon as I have it). But after that, I'm not sure if I'll resume with the +++ or move on to the Era. I suppose it depends on if I'm still learning anything from the +++.

But I was wondering what others' experiences were with trialing new razors, if what I've been doing is in the "reasonable" range. Especially for those who have been at this about as long as I have. (I suspect someone who's been using safety razors for 20 years might know within a few shaves if a new razor is a keeper or not.)

So far all my acquisitions have been keepers. After about a week I know if I like the razor or not and then the quest for the best blade sort of begins, but first stop is if the razor itself is any good. I am a daily shaver with a 3 pass shave usually so the razor gets sufficient mileage in a week.

The trap we might fall into (I have) is that we think the next razor will be the one only to discover that it’s either on par or only marginally better than the one before (exceptions exist). Rationally I could have even stopped with my KCG razor, but with my Fatip Special Edition for sure. All razors after that I put on my RAD (or my friends at B&B). And I would not have wanted to miss those experiences or opportunities, but in terms of shaving and getting the job done there was no specific need.

As things are now I should sell the lot and just keep the Timeless, because it ticks all my boxes. This last year I found however that I like the shave. It’s no longer a chore for me. That makes a huge difference in how you approach acquisitions and test drives.

I think you are doing what you could or should be doing @T Bone and trust your instincts. I applaud you for putting past razors on BST - I am not there yet. One suggestion I might have is to try different blade configurations if you have not already and see what effects your prep has.

It is amazing how steep a learning curve can actually be, because I think we here can all shave with any razor if we set our minds to it. I concentrate on technique and getting consistent shave results over various razors. That way for me I can curb my RAD because I should be able to get results with any razor - so what would the new one being other than satisfy my aesthetic desire (which is a good reason to get it anyway!).

Guido

I usually shave with new razors for a week straight to get to know it. After the week it slips into rotation. I only have one cabinet so that’s easy and where my collection is at the moment I don’t BST razors as they are either gifted (and I believe you should keep gifted items unless otherwise stated) or they fit the general theme of my collection (which is DE razors in both OC and SB if available). Besides I only buy razors I have researched extensively first (most of the time too extensively!).

But a week consecutively is the minimum test drive period.
That makes sense. As I said in my last post, I'm that crazy guy who wants to stick to 1 razor, so I'm not likely to rotate. But I suspect that after I've re-evaluated my Henson+++ and tried out my Blackland Era (for a couple of weeks, or however long), I'll probably shave with whichever of those or my current Henson++ I like best for awhile. But I'll probably come back to the other 2 in a few weeks to try again, I won't sell any of them unless I'm sure.

And agreed, I wouldn't sell anything that was gifted either. If I won it in a PIF and didn't end up liking it, I'd re-PIF. But yeah, selling a gift would not be cool.

The trap we might fall into (I have) is that we think the next razor will be the one only to discover that it’s either on par or only marginally better than the one before (exceptions exist). Rationally I could have even stopped with my KCG razor, but with my Fatip Special Edition for sure. All razors after that I put on my RAD (or my friends at B&B). And I would not have wanted to miss those experiences or opportunities, but in terms of shaving and getting the job done there was no specific need.
That's the rabbit hole I've poked my head into but am trying not to fall in. 😂 Rationally, I could have stopped with my Henson++, and could certainly stop now. But I find myself wondering, can another razor give me a closer shave than my usual DFS+ (with occasional BBS-)? Can another razor give me the same results more efficiently, with fewer passes or less touch-up? I rarely get loads of weepers anymore but often get 1-2, can another razor get me the same results with less blood?

I recently solicited suggestions on the Henson thread from those who like the Henson but like something else even more, so now I have a list of about a half-dozen that I'm watching BST for. (1 was the Era, that just happened to show up for sale Saturday night.) It's a small list, and I'm not even looking to try all of them, but if I figure a trying out a couple more will give me more data points on how much a different razor can really improve my shave.

As things are now I should sell the lot and just keep the Timeless, because it ticks all my boxes. This last year I found however that I like the shave. It’s no longer a chore for me. That makes a huge difference in how you approach acquisitions and test drives.
Well, if a variety of razors is enjoyable, then enjoy them! 😎

I think you are doing what you could or should be doing @T Bone and trust your instincts. I applaud you for putting past razors on BST - I am not there yet. One suggestion I might have is to try different blade configurations if you have not already and see what effects your prep has.
Thanks, @Guido75, I appreciate it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As you know, I started out thinking one razor was it for me... and it was, for 5+ months. I had so much fun exploring different shaving brushes, I decided to do the same with razors. I'm going to end up with 7 I just love... and a couple that didn't sell this past couple weeks. I like being able to choose any of them for a great shave. I have just a handful of razor blade types, again, all of them work so well, it hasn't mattered much which one I use as long as I don't try to push them past their expiration date. I hate shaving with a dull blade. I've even been known to stop shaving and replace a blade that annoys me. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can answer that for me... find someone who has several razors in common with you, with the same shaving habits and follow their advice. That is easier said than done, of course.

Here on B&B, I found several people who enjoy what I enjoy in a razor... the same efficiency, same blade feel, etc.... They have been invaluable for me.

@T Bone , that is why I'm very reluctant to offer you much advice. I've never used a Henson. Any advice I'd offer would be a guess at best.. and guesses can get expensive.

Yet another terrific discussion, thanks @T Bone! I have a snow/vacation day, so I'll keep chatting with you all. :)

For this round of DE shaving, I dove into the Razor Hole head first. I was intending to try all kinds of razors. My previous couple of tries was just with a Merkur 34C. Right away I got all kinds of things, from the OneBlade through the Leaf, with the Henson, Supply, and a bunch of DEs along the way. B&B widened and deepened the Razor Hole for sure, I wouldn't have known even a fraction of the options without you crazy enablers! ;) This was a pandemic hobby/distraction for me and it has been and continues to be fun.

I probably could have stopped with the Merkur HD, but I couldn't have with the OneBlade or Leaf. I've had some that didn't work well for me. I haven't sold them yet, but I should. I figure if you don't find some things you don't like, you're not experimenting broadly enough. Can I get an enabling high five? ;) I've got quite a few razors I have yet to try. I bought some razors for my nephew and gifted a starter razor/blades/soap to a co-worker.

One of the things I recently learned is that trying different razors can help your technique. After a year of working carefully on my technique I had developed a three-pass pattern that worked well for my whiskers and all the razors I used. My Athena disrupted that. It felt so mild, but was very unbalanced, so I changed the handle and things improved, yet I still got a couple of pinprick-like weepers. So I made a different pattern - a 2.5-pass which took into account the very small grain changes, like the corner of what would be a mustache. That got me to a great shave and zero weepers, but it took 14 shaves to figure all that out. I tried a couple of blades, two handles, and that different pattern. In the end I learned things I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't pushed by a new razor. On the other hand, the Blackland Era was easy to use from the first shave.

With that said, I should revise my top razors and take the Athena out for now. It hasn't earned that spot yet. I need to get several more rounds with it for it to solidify a spot. Part of me wants it to be, to justify the high price, it is the most I've spent for a razor. It can't guilt me into a top spot. It has to earn it. :) We'll see if that happens.

In testing the depths of the razor hole I went from my newest razor to my oldest. I am on vacation and tried a first shave with a GEM 1912 single edge. :) I survived. I got a OK to poor shave with 2-3 weepers, but I didn't plane off my skin, which was the main goal. I really wanted to try one for fun. It doesn't seem like it would be a good daily driver, but I'll give it a few more runs and see if I can learn a thing or two.

Second shave with the GEM 1912 - still playing it very cautious. I got a varied shave from BBS in parts of my cheeks to somewhat passable in challenging areas. I walked away with one nick, feeling pretty good about that. I was hoping this would be smooth, like an injector, but so far it isn't. It is a bit like Aaron described it - a straight razor on a stick. Why am I doing this? Oh yeah, for fun! I hope this experiment teaches me how to be a better shaver.

Updating my testing process based on recent experiences... Razors can test out of the process. If I can get to a zero nick, no irritation, BBS-like shave more quickly, then I give myself the freedom to move on to another razor. :) Also, a razor can fail out. If I am struggling too much and just not enjoying it, I can give myself a break and put it aside for a later trial. Recently the High Proof tested out and the Green Cult is being put aside for later.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Updating my testing process based on recent experiences... Razors can test out of the process. If I can get to a zero nick, no irritation, BBS-like shave more quickly, then I give myself the freedom to move on to another razor. :) Also, a razor can fail out. If I am struggling too much and just not enjoying it, I can give myself a break and put it aside for a later trial. Recently the High Proof tested out and the Green Cult is being put aside for later.
SpaceM, I just got some thin, clear plastic tackle boxes.... and put a few of my razors away.... out of sight.... The two that didn't sell.... my mom's two Schick injectors and two cheap PAA plastic slants.. for when I decide to pull them out and try them.

An odd name for that link comes up on B&B... but link does take you to the tackle boxes.

I've got a stack of those boxes with a sizable queue for me to work though. My RAD has exceeded my testing throughput. 🤣

I'm thinking about going through my Razorock razors in ascending aggressiveness order next. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
SpaceM, that's what changed my approach to shaving.. as I've referenced.. I was working my way through all 4 of my Lupo base plates.... and shaving stopped being fun for me. That's prompted my sell off over the last few weeks. I like my little 7 razor "daily" collection. I can pick any of them up and get a great shave, most days.

I do have to get the few blade types I have all tested and categorized, I suppose.

How long do you all trial a new razor for before deciding if it’s your new favorite, heavy rotation, back of the cabinet, or BST material (or whatever categories you might use)? I imagine the correct answer is simply “however long it takes”, but what have you found is typical?
Hey guys sorry for the late reply to this discussion!

I have bought 5 razors since last May. I try out most new razors for 2 weeks to a month to figure them out. Only 2 out of the last 5 purchases were vintage and they got a week trial. I picked the vintage up mostly for nostalgia and not really for daily shaving.

I pretty much only use my 3 favourites for 2 weeks to a month at time. I guess I'm like you @T Bone in that I want to be a 1 razor guy but then feel bad having an expensive razor gathering dust.

I joined the year long Sabbatical to use up some soaps and not add anymore gear until I can look at my spreadsheet and see what actually gets used. I think 2024 will be a year of PIFs for me! Lol

I'm still trying razors, and soaps, and brushes 😆😂🤣 I'm going through what Razorocks I have in increasing aggressiveness, that's kind of fun.

I got another synthetic brush (Sterling 26x54mm) and I am starting to change my mind on them. I like backbone and skritch, so I had been using only boars, but these synthetics seem to make and hold lather better for some reason. I thought the stiffer boar brush would pick up more soap and make more lather, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't want to spend much money on brushes, but this one seems like a good bang for the buck.

I tried Arko this morning. It seems to be a divisive soap with a cult following, so I had to. I was really impressed with the slickness, it is very good, among the best I've used. But the smell... If you keep telling yourself that it is citrus and not urinal cake, one can mostly tolerate it. ;)

Like Balin I have put myself in healthy restraint to use what I have and to think about stad where I want to make improvements. For now I like all my razors and I have a plan in place on hoe and when to use them (which got derailed yesterday because a surprise new razor was waiting for me when I got home). And I intend to use my soaps and think about which I want to get to try (but I want to bring the numbers in rotation down).

So far so good and January successfully completed.

Guido

Part of me wants to try Arko, as it’s almost a rite of passage here. But given that I haven’t really loved any other citrus soaps, I’d probably find it ok at best, as possibly hate it. And I don’t like to throw anything out that’s usable, so I’d feel obligated to finish the thing, and I hear Arko lasts a really long time! I’d get a sample if they sold them, but what’s the point when a whole stick is like $3! So I’ll probably never get the experience that is Arko.

Top Bottom