What's new

INFO! 2020 Gold Dollar Mod Competition *EXTENDED UNTIL AUGUST*

Has anyone tried brazing rod?
I have some brazing rod that works excelently, but I also have some other brazing rod in stock that I'm sure would be much too hard. If you get some and it is too hard you might try annealing it which is a simple task with brass and bronze. Just heat to red with a propane torch, or even stove top, and quench in water.

I have some brazing rod that works excelently, but I also have some other brazing rod in stock that I'm sure would be much too hard. If you get some and it is too hard you might try annealing it which is a simple task with brass and bronze. Just heat to red with a propane torch, or even stove top, and quench in water.
Thanks Bluesman. Shops are only starting to reopen here. Hardware and builders merchants are open, but craft and hobby stores are still closed. Looks like I'll be trying brazing rod.

Thank you very much, I just finished up with a very nice shave tonight after it spent an afternoon on my arkie.

The scales are plastic, I got them from Maggards. Plastic Replacement Scales White and Black Swirl | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/white-black-plastic-replacement-scales/
I'm not sure if it is the lighting or just the fact that your scales have the razor in them, but they look better in your pics than they do in the link.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My GD 66 arrived in Manila today (05 June). I expect that it will stay there for a while while the Philippines postal system remains shut down. Once reopened, it should only take 1 to 2 months to get from Manila to Cebu.

I might hold onto this GD 66 for use in the next GD mod competition.

Figured I might oughta get started on this blade if I want to turn something in. Trying to imagine in my mind a profile I either haven't seen before or at least haven't seen much of is kinda tough. My last GD from the comp a couple years ago is hands down my favorite one I've ever done so it is going to be tough to top it in my own mind.
I don't have a Spanish point so I decided to go that route and roughed out the profile.
proxy.php

I had started to work on the scales a few days ago...this is as far as I got...a russian olive tree that had a really low limb that needed to come down. Gonna have to process this quickly and kiln it in the oven probably
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Legion

Staff member
Figured I might oughta get started on this blade if I want to turn something in. Trying to imagine in my mind a profile I either haven't seen before or at least haven't seen much of is kinda tough. My last GD from the comp a couple years ago is hands down my favorite one I've ever done so it is going to be tough to top it in my own mind.
I don't have a Spanish point so I decided to go that route and roughed out the profile.
proxy.php

I had started to work on the scales a few days ago...this is as far as I got...a russian olive tree that had a really low limb that needed to come down. Gonna have to process this quickly and kiln it in the oven probably
proxy.php
proxy.php

Microwave it. When I was making slingshots, that was how I quickly seasoned the green wood to use. Nuke it in the microwave.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice start there! I like the idea of using wood from the back yard.

I just received a GD that I bought from eBay. While reading the description, I found that it was tuned up and honed by our very own Slash McCoy. I'll have a chance to shave with it in the next couple of days - when my beard grows back. He did a smash up job, cosmetically. I can't wait to see how it shaves.

...I'm really looking forward to what everyone else comes up with. :straight:

With all of the hours that I have been working, I haven't gotten much done on mine. A few days ago, I tried grinding the edge straight to get rid of the slight smile. I remembered reading a post where someone, I think Slash McCoy, used a belt sander for this process on Gold Dollars. This is not the way to go for me, as I somehow ended up making the smile worse. So today I will try to correct my mistake. After that, I think I just need to polish it and then I can start on the scales.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My GD 66 arrived in Manila today (05 June). I expect that it will stay there for a while while the Philippines postal system remains shut down. Once reopened, it should only take 1 to 2 months to get from Manila to Cebu.

I might hold onto this GD 66 for use in the next GD mod competition.
I feel your pain @rbscebu . I just received notice from Connaught that after waiting 48 days for my package, they are assuming it lost and sending out a replacement with tracking. With any luck I might get my Gold Grande this month.:em2300:

Took the olive branch to the bandsaw and ripped a couple of strips, one thin and another thicker for another little project. I sat them out in the windy shade yesterday to begin to dry, today probably in the sun...that thin piece will be plenty dry soon enough.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

We are getting close to our previously announced deadline. As we mentioned earlier we are open to extending the deadline because several people had difficulty in obtaining their “raw material.” I want to be fair to everyone so please let us know, pro or con, whether we should extend the working time to August.

In any case would everyone who is competing give a progress report? No need to unveil your masterpiece yet, unless you want to.

We are getting close to our previously announced deadline. As we mentioned earlier we are open to extending the deadline because several people had difficulty in obtaining their “raw material.” I want to be fair to everyone so please let us know, pro or con, whether we should extend the working time to August.

In any case would everyone who is competing give a progress report? No need to unveil your masterpiece yet, unless you want to.
No complaint from me if you want to extend the deadline, I would like to see more finished razors.

Here we go guys. I have finished my entry.

I used Kirinite for the scales, started out with 6mm thick knife scales, so it was quite a job to thin them down. Love the material, it's translucent in some places and have a deep metallic glitter when in the sun. Unfortunately my photographic skills were not good enough to do it justice.

The wedge is from blue perspex. Thats the only part I had to do twice, the first one was too much of a wedge and deformed the scales so much the blade didn't stop and went through, enough to be dangerous. Had to unpin it and do it again. I will have to invest in some micro bore screws to test my assemblies before pinning.

I considered removing the Gold Dollar stamp, but I think it's only fair to give the makers their due. Thanks to them we have cheap base materials to experiment with and make razors we can be proud of.

I set out to make a razor that I will enjoy using, and I am very happy with the result. Shaves great, it's light and well balanced. Took a great edge.

Ejoyed the project and look forward to the next one.
That is incredible!
Almost unbelievable!

As far as the deadline, I don't mind either way. I hope to finish mine by the original deadline. But even if I don't, I will still finish it and post it here.

I managed to get the smile out of my blade, but it's still not even. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I say the more the merrier! Mine is finished and shaves great.

Yes, please extend the deadline. I would like to see as many entries as possible. What I have seen so far are absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
With several yeas and no nays to the question of extending we’ll set a new deadline of August 1. At that point everybody stops work and begins to show their final product. Hopefully we’ll see a few more razors. Teasers and comments are always welcome in the meantime.

Top Bottom