What's new

INFO! 2019 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

She's all finished used it this morning for my shave. 20190511_182953.jpg 20190511_182103.jpg 20190511_182036.jpg

@Saxonbowman Pretty good all my whiskers are gone and only one spot on my neck that is irritated but that happens 9 times out of 10 when I shave I just can't get it down. It cuts like a razor through a hair :c2: I know bad pun I just couldn't help myself

For those of you who can't see the pictures in the original post, please let me know if these work or not...

Thanks to the generosity of our moderator team we have some great prizes. The Pro Class winner will receive a Tony Miller 4 sided paddle strop from the Mod Team, and

18364.jpeg

a plain vanilla steer-hide hanging strop with cotton secondary component, courtesy of Tony Miller.

18398.jpeg

For the novice class winner the mod team has also donated a rotary tool kit, similar to this one

41hbe4LiF4L._AC_SY400_.jpg

The prize will be shipped to the winner from Amazon, so the actual model may vary according to their location. Of course all entrants get the best prize of all, the stunning razor that they have created!

Sorry that the original images didn't show up.

So I decided I was going to mod one for my father for fathers day and was casually asking him opinions on which styles he liked better. He likes the spike point (at an angle, there seems to be some controversy over whether spike means square or tapered). For this, would it be better to try to cut the angle with a rotary tool and cutting disc, or to sand/grind it to shape? I think I've read in one of the other mod threads that you really need a diamond cutting disc to make clean cuts through these.

I also personally don't like the idea of giving him a spike point as he's never used a straight razor and in my mind its going to be much easier to cut yourself with a point like that, so I may also give him a plain honed GD66 just for him to start with :001_rolle

He likes the spike point (at an angle, there seems to be some controversy over whether spike means square or tapered).
upload_2019-5-20_23-18-56.png

For this, would it be better to try to cut the angle with a rotary tool and cutting disc, or to sand/grind it to shape? I think I've read in one of the other mod threads that you really need a diamond cutting disc to make clean cuts through these.
HELP. SR modders please chip in!
I also personally don't like the idea of giving him a spike point as he's never used a straight razor and in my mind its going to be much easier to cut yourself with a point like that, so I may also give him a plain honed GD66 just for him to start with :001_rolle
You could always mute the toe a little.

@Cal that's the exact image I showed him. But a google image search of spike point razor shows other results. I did think about just giving it a slit round over just on the point

@Cal that's the exact image I showed him. But a google image search of spike point razor shows other results.
IME razor terminology is a bit of a minefield. Someone with razor knowledge calls X Y, because that's what someone else with more razor knowledge told him... so eventually all the newbies are calling X Y and it sticks. It's like propaganda, if you tell the lie often enough it becomes the new truth. Of course it's a Y.

I'm sure we both know what a square looks like and what a spike looks like. Rant over. :laugh:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for showing us the Points photo and description @Cal, I had no idea what was being spoken about. Now I do and I have learnt something new today.

Thanks for showing us the Points photo and description @Cal, I had no idea what was being spoken about. Now I do and I have learnt something new today.
Sorry, I should've included that in my post. Since I'm fairly new to all of this, I assume everyone knows at least as much or more than I do. But I also go deep down the rabbit hole on google when I get into something

He likes the spike point (at an angle, there seems to be some controversy over whether spike means square or tapered). For this, would it be better to try to cut the angle with a rotary tool and cutting disc, or to sand/grind it to shape?

Coming from someone who had limited tools and expertise, I did all the work on the end by grinding to shape.

Top Bottom