What's new

2016 "Gold Dollar" MOD Competition is ON!

Here's the shorty after a weekend on the hones, and a 2 shave pass this morning:

$DSC_0518.jpg

I honed it without tape (or skill), and the blueing on the spine wore through very quickly. Due to lack of skill, I wore some bluing on the tang as well...

$DSC_0519.jpg

It was not the best shave I've ever gotten (but no irritation, so there's that), and I did notice that I'll have to mute that point on the toe, so I'll have to go back to the hones with it.

Be that as it may, I'll consider my submission to the competition complete!

Wow! All fingers and toes accounted for? That was a pretty healthy catastrophic failure! Shattering like glass! Somehow I figured pieces might fly off, but a Kaboom like that!

Wow! All fingers and toes accounted for? That was a pretty healthy catastrophic failure! Shattering like glass! Somehow I figured pieces might fly off, but a Kaboom like that!

No kidding! Hope no injuries resulted from that!
No injuries, and no flying shrapnel. The razor was in a vice and fell apart when i opened it. I was trying to bend the tang by heating it, and had covered the blade with heat blocking paste to prevent annealing it in the process. Apparently the temperature difference was so great that it separated the blade from the tang along the heat paste line..
Live and learn. :laugh:

its looking like im going to have to bow out of this competition, some personal stuff has come up and i wont be able to get the razor done by the dead line. thanks for the fun, i will be finishing the razor though at a slower pace.

That's too bad, sorry you have to pull the plug. :bored: Please do post pics as I remain quite interested in the amazing transformations I've seen so far. Just makes me want to see more! :thumbup:

Alright here's my entry for this year. I finished this one a month ago and tried some other things as well. Including a 550 cord wrapped kamisori to show my love for my military service. Didn't turn out great. "Guess the corp don't get theirs today." But here it is. A semi Spanish point blade, cocobolo scales sanded to 2000 then buffed with Tripoli and waxed with Howard's orange feed n' wax. Been shaving with it all month. Used a babies set up to 8000 (cant afford a 12000 yet). But it shaves great, probably the best edge I've done. The cocobolo is oily enough that it doesn't need a finish, it repels water amazingly. I feel like I may have shot myself in the foot taking pics in the sun since it shows all the imperfections, but i don't care. I love this razor. $image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Very nice job. Cocobolo sure is purty. Blade looks great too.
Alright here's my entry for this year. I finished this one a month ago and tried some other things as well. Including a 550 cord wrapped kamisori to show my love for my military service. Didn't turn out great. "Guess the corp don't get theirs today." But here it is. A semi Spanish point blade, cocobolo scales sanded to 2000 then buffed with Tripoli and waxed with Howard's orange feed n' wax. Been shaving with it all month. Used a babies set up to 8000 (cant afford a 12000 yet). But it shaves great, probably the best edge I've done. The cocobolo is oily enough that it doesn't need a finish, it repels water amazingly. I feel like I may have shot myself in the foot taking pics in the sun since it shows all the imperfections, but i don't care. I love this razor.

Here's the shorty after a weekend on the hones, and a 2 shave pass this morning:

View attachment 667283

I honed it without tape (or skill), and the blueing on the spine wore through very quickly. Due to lack of skill, I wore some bluing on the tang as well...

View attachment 667284

It was not the best shave I've ever gotten (but no irritation, so there's that), and I did notice that I'll have to mute that point on the toe, so I'll have to go back to the hones with it.

Be that as it may, I'll consider my submission to the competition complete!

Alright here's my entry for this year. I finished this one a month ago and tried some other things as well. Including a 550 cord wrapped kamisori to show my love for my military service. Didn't turn out great. "Guess the corp don't get theirs today." But here it is. A semi Spanish point blade, cocobolo scales sanded to 2000 then buffed with Tripoli and waxed with Howard's orange feed n' wax. Been shaving with it all month. Used a babies set up to 8000 (cant afford a 12000 yet). But it shaves great, probably the best edge I've done. The cocobolo is oily enough that it doesn't need a finish, it repels water amazingly. I feel like I may have shot myself in the foot taking pics in the sun since it shows all the imperfections, but i don't care. I love this razor. View attachment 667548View attachment 667549View attachment 667550

I absolutely love both of the above; Great jobs Gentlemen :thumbup:
No one not knowing would never suspect these are "just" Gold Dollars.

Alright here's my entry for this year. I finished this one a month ago and tried some other things as well. Including a 550 cord wrapped kamisori to show my love for my military service. Didn't turn out great. "Guess the corp don't get theirs today." But here it is. A semi Spanish point blade, cocobolo scales sanded to 2000 then buffed with Tripoli and waxed with Howard's orange feed n' wax. Been shaving with it all month. Used a babies set up to 8000 (cant afford a 12000 yet). But it shaves great, probably the best edge I've done. The cocobolo is oily enough that it doesn't need a finish, it repels water amazingly. I feel like I may have shot myself in the foot taking pics in the sun since it shows all the imperfections, but i don't care. I love this razor.

WooHoo! Bravo Zulu! Well done =)

So just out of curiosity is there only one of these a year? Seems like there is always interest but something comes up and people don't have time to get in. Just a thought. Nice mods by the way.

Alright here's my entry for this year. I finished this one a month ago and tried some other things as well. Including a 550 cord wrapped kamisori to show my love for my military service. Didn't turn out great. "Guess the corp don't get theirs today." But here it is. A semi Spanish point blade, cocobolo scales sanded to 2000 then buffed with Tripoli and waxed with Howard's orange feed n' wax. Been shaving with it all month. Used a babies set up to 8000 (cant afford a 12000 yet). But it shaves great, probably the best edge I've done. The cocobolo is oily enough that it doesn't need a finish, it repels water amazingly. I feel like I may have shot myself in the foot taking pics in the sun since it shows all the imperfections, but i don't care. I love this razor. View attachment 667548View attachment 667549View attachment 667550
What imperfections??? This is flawless, as far as I can tell! Well done!

What imperfections??? This is flawless, as far as I can tell! Well done!

Haha thanks man. It's tough to get all of the little itty bitty scratches from previous grits out. And the shoulders perfectly smooth. Some people have it figured out to a science and once this is over I'll be asking more questions. There's gotta be a better way than a Dremel and a belt sander. Or at least a better way than I'm doing it. My one from last year it was easier to hide the scratches because I used ferric chloride to etch in water drops. If you can't do it better than everyone else, do something different lol

:blush:
+1

Now, the scales didn't come out as well as expected.
I tried to do some (simple) scrimshaw, but the scales looked better before the blackening, with just the bare scratching.
The camel bone also was more porous than I thought, so there are many tiny irregularities that fills with the colour, which was unintended.

Not sure if I should remove the colour again - I think I will sleep on it :001_smile and then put the whole thing together tomorrow, so I can get honing.
I'm rather interested in how much honing is needed before the good metal show, because it looks/feels like the bluing process is deep.

proxy.php
Soren . Just for reference bone as you know is much more porous compared to say Ivory. One critical item needed for scrim on any surface is wax. You coat the surface, scratch some lines, add ink ,dyes paint etc. wipe and recoat with wax prior to the next scratches. Wax is used repeatedly even on Ivory.
In the shots here there is one example where I used different colors to achieve a barber pole effect. Without repeated coats of wax the application and separation of color would have been impossible. It also prevents the inks from finding every little nook and cranny on the surface you thought was perfectly smooth.
Just my .02 cents.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 221
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 221
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 215
  • $image.jpg