What's new

2 Observations on the new Economical Gillette3/Gillette5 carts

1. The ads and online info keep it a deep, dark secret that Gillette3 works with a Mach3 handle and Gillette5 with Fusion. You don't need to spend money on the new handles.

2. Pricing is all over the map. I wanted to see how cheap I could get some, so I forgot about the Gillette5 and concentrated on the Gillette3 (I think one blade is enough, so 3 beats 5 anyway). The best price for each Gillette3 cart was slightly over one dollar each. I got a package in Walmart, but the price rose right away after that. But, now Ebay has 8 for $9.50, including shipping, so the rock bottom price looks like around $1 to $1.20, even though some places get two bucks or even $2.50 each. One dollar looks pretty aggressive for a new Gillette 3-blade cart. The only thing it lacks compared to the G-5 is the trimmer blade.

I tried it twice and, to be honest, I got the identical shave I get from DE and SE, except there's zero irritation. I occasionally get some minimal irritation from DE/SE, because you can angle it wrong. The Gillette cart does the angling for you, just like the automatic transmission on a car, compared to manual. Less fun and less irritation.

I haven't seem them in the UK, but the disposables are £1.00 each on promotion. The handle is fine, or I remove the cart and attach it to a aftermarket handle.

I stand corrected. I assumed the G5 was a clone of Fusion since the G3 looks like a clone of the Mach3. Or am I wrong about that too? At least the handle attachments are equivalent. I guess the loss of the trimmer was due to cost cutting. But how is the G3 inferior? Are the blade coatings lower quality?

I don't know about the carts since I can't use anything with more then one blade (been loving the guard lately) but I can for sure say the Gillette series 3 sensitive cooling gel is good stuff and only $2 a can. That's been my go-to on non-brush days for a couple weeks now.

I don't know about the carts since I can't use anything with more then one blade (been loving the guard lately) but I can for sure say the Gillette series 3 sensitive cooling gel is good stuff and only $2 a can. That's been my go-to on non-brush days for a couple weeks now.

Sorry for bringing an old post back to life but I've been using the Gillette Series Moisturizing Gel and at 2.50 a can this stuff really works and doesn't irritate my skin, been loving it when traveling

i know this is an old thread but ive been buying Gillette3 carts for my old Mach 3 Turbo handle and been able to buy them from ebay for approx $0.75 per cart. Great value IMO.

i know this is an old thread but ive been buying Gillette3 carts for my old Mach 3 Turbo handle and been able to buy them from ebay for approx $0.75 per cart. Great value IMO.

On average I've been getting 16 carts for 12 dollars or less and they are an incredible value at that price I've stocked up a lot !

Can anyone tell me how the Gillette3 differ from the Mach3 Turbo? Sharpness difference, or lube strip, or blade coating, or 'fins' ? How does the shave differ from the Mach3?

I've been searching for Gillette 3 after I saw them in every supermarket, now they are gone and shelves are filled with mach 3.

I get my Gillette3 from the big auction site.....can find them for $0.75 each if you're patient.

The Mach3 Turbos are "supposed" be sharper but i havent used any Mach3 turbo blades since pre 2013 so cant compare to current Gillette3.

I get my Gillette3 from the big auction site.....can find them for $0.75 each if you're patient.

The Mach3 Turbos are "supposed" be sharper but i havent used any Mach3 turbo blades since pre 2013 so cant compare to current Gillette3.
I think the newer Mach 3 Turbos now have the DLC coating on them which may make them last quite a long. Not sure when they added this DLC but I think it was after 2013, have to search on this site to find info as I read it here.
Edit:
Blade Coating
&

Oh cmon, yes I do like this subforum, but if someone wants a clean cut then DE is way to go (ofc is YMMV)

Last edited:
Oh cmon, yes I do like this subforum, but if someone wants a clean cut then DE is way to go (ofc is YMMV)

Yup YMMV is the most accurate part of this statement .

For me I get as close shaves with my Trac II/Atra/Sensor that I did with my DE razors and I shaved with a DE 6 days a week for 6 years so I’m not a novice .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me I get as close shaves with my Trac II/Atra/Sensor that I did with my DE razors and I shaved with a DE 6 days a week for 6 years so I’m not a novice .

The Sensor is incredible ive got a nice stash of NOS refill carts off the bay that cut smoothly and last forever , I recently tried the Sensor3 with my Sensor handle and it was actually quite enjoyable, cheap too

That's way i edited it.

Top Bottom