What's new

2 band brush for bowl lathering? WARNING LONG POST!

Gentleman,

***********************************************************************************************
Backstory (you can skip this bit):
I've been scouring the forums researching, looking and reading around 2-band brushes. My daily driver a Rooney style 3 size 2 (24mm knot) fan style from Vintageblades, they used to have 2 band Heritage Emillions but I didn't feel I WAS READY at the time and now they're gone. The Rooney was my 2nd brush and I loved it so much, I gifted my first brush, Simpson Duke 2, to a friend. I bowl lather and found the Duke always banging the side of the bowl (probably due to poor skill more than anything) but I always had that 2 band Emillion in the back of my head. Fast forward a year or two, DE razors galore, soaps , creams and now straights, the Rooney and bowl is still with me. I simply didn't feel like I needed (I use this term loosely as I can always find shave gear to pillage my wallet for) another brush yet.
SO whilst away from home, I couldn't bring my razors with me (long *** story) and I'm always on the go so I've been seeing the local street barber (because I waste a lot of water and the water reservoirs are freaking small here). Hot towels, warm lather and slick hair, life is great aside from the fact I'm organizing an uncle's funeral. I'd much rather be at home making my lather, trying soap and cream combos (oh buddy............................................................................) . Should I heat it? Do I have time? Do I break rotation? Formulating today game plan to get those BLASTED HAIR THAT GROWS SIDEWAYS RIGHT BESIDE THE ADAMS APPLE WITH A STRAIGHT RAZOR (also from Jim @ Vintageblades, what a freaking awesome guy).

Basically I missed my brush. Whilst looking for an Emillion 2 band, I was rather disappointed that they were basically extinct, my fault I KNOW.... I KNOW. Enter............... the German 2 band badger brushes and whilst googling the names, ALL I SEE ARE RESOUNDING "YES.... YES!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!"

Whilst being so absorbed with razors and blades, I COMPLETELY overlooked an ENTIRE LANDSCAPE OF BRUSHES, M&F, Rudy Vey, SHAVEMAC, Thater..... brain-gasm........ Great.... Keyboard... ruined.
- The only way I can equate to this is while your car is still under warranty, you're hanging out at the dealership waiting for that oil change and THERE ARE ALL THESE NEW MODELS AND THERE'S YOUR CAR BUT THIS YEAR'S EDITION.

I slept it off, don't impluse buy this *****. This has got to be done right.

It came down to Thater, simply because they are more accessible than Shavemac. Thater won out also because The Shavemac expert configurator is ...... all kinds of awesome, but I don't think I know enough about what I want to customize one to that degree JUST YET.

*************************************************************************************************

Thater Bulb (I fondly miss that Simpsons Duke from time to time, the Merker/FUTUR set brush just AINT THE SAME) makes the most sense, I still bowl lather I just got a scuttle ordered (still shipping, should be there once I'm home)I've been struggling with size, but I've fired an email off the Royalshave for that question. To stay with 24 or to go 26? I already find the 24 Roony fan a tad big for the smaller tubs....... Bigger simply isn't always better for me, think vintage watches.

I was just SO BLOODY SET on Thater 4125/2 and then I remembered the handle of the Duke. Though the 4125 is highly reviewed, as I back tracked my research and reviews, I found that this brush, and two band badgers, is highly praised for face lathering.

So now I need you gents to sort me out =D, I'm sticking with the Bulb shape but is 2 band is the right choice at all? The handle shape should likely be reconsidered as well. Have I gotten it all wrong?

Please bestow your wisdom on this young grasshopper. Which handle and maker would you recommend for a Bulb brush?

The 4125/2 is an outstanding brush. It does have a short handle, but I face lather exclusively so that's not an issue.

$20141225_112527.jpg

I was actually holding a 2-band Emillion 2 in my hand when I read this post earlier today. Worth the wait and the search! Don't give up :)

Thank you for the pics and responses!

After posting and looking at a bunch of brushes. I think the right choice is the Thater 4292, two band, I'd like the experience a two band just so I have an idea for future reference =D

What can go wrong =D?

Simpson Tulip 3 or 4 in two band.

See but the thing is those aren't easy to find.
I had a moment for The Emperor and the Tulip as well.

side note, The bigger the loft the higher chances of it having greater flow, too much flow would make it floppy.

If my research is right, I think the 2 band in a bulb should be right in the middle. I guess that's another reason I'm looking for a 2 band because the Rooney is a tad on the floppy side. Might be a tad extreme to go bulb and 2 band but MEH, live and learn.

I can tell you that the two band hair Simpson uses has decent backbone and more than compensates for the higher loft. I don't consider my Tulip 2 remotely floppy. I haven't gone looking for a two band in some time, but West Coast Shaving, BullGoose Shaving, and a slew of others carry Simpsons. You can also contact Mark Watterson directly at Simpson to see what he has. He's very responsive.

Thank you for that Simpsons contact! I've been a long time customer of West coast but I haven't looked at bull goose yet. I think I haven't taken a Simpson again is because there are just so many different handles, kind of intimidating really. How do you usually use your tulip and have you any pictures?

Here's my T2 (ignore the bed head, it was sitting against the side of the box where I store my brushes):

I typically face lather with it (but I do that with just about everything), but have had good success bowl lathering as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the octagonal handles and am pretty much converting over fully, but Thater also converted me to a face latherer again nearly full time.

If you get a larger brush and don't rest your brush in the bowl between passes, it won't be an issue. My 49125/2 has a 54mm loft and I won't knock against the sides of the bowl while lathering, but if you set it down between passes, it will sink in and get lather on the handle. Just annoying. I also just took delivery of a 177 with 58mm loft and that's easier to use in that regard, but again I rarely bowl lather anymore.

I've got a couple of the smaller ones (50-52mm) and it's less practical for bowl lathering, so I would recommend staying with the bigger brushes.

As for the 4292, I have small to medium size hands and with the bigger knots they just feel too big for me. I have a 4292/5 which is a HUGE brush (fan shaped 2-band) and no problem bowl lathering, but just something to keep in mind.

That's why I went Shavemac...they're actually cheaper than Thater with the VAT discount and I could raise the loft vs the standard but keep the 177/4125 handle I prefer.

I can tell you that the two band hair Simpson uses has decent backbone and more than compensates for the higher loft. I don't consider my Tulip 2 remotely floppy. I haven't gone looking for a two band in some time, but West Coast Shaving, BullGoose Shaving, and a slew of others carry Simpsons. You can also contact Mark Watterson directly at Simpson to see what he has. He's very responsive.

As it happens, I just got a reply after following your advice! Mark just got back to me, he has a Tulip 3 in stock. I think we have a winner guys, buying a German brush is easier and I can order one later. But a Simpsons 2-band, now that's something special.

Thank you Beginish

Top Bottom