What's new

1st Shave Blues.

Take a wine cork upright and draw the edges of your blade slightly through the edge of the cork where it makes the 90 degree turn. I put the blade at a 45 degree angle and draw it softly against the cork. 1-2 time per side.

Harder to describe than do. I might post a pic if needed…
Good description, I get the picture.

I don't mean to jump in here since this will be my first post on B&B, but I wouldn't cork a new blade. The objective is to knock down the coating on the edge. I think corking could possibly dull the edge, even if only slightly. What I would do is take a pair of blue jeans hanging in your closet and swipe the edges on the pants leg a few times, flipping and rotating, so you get each side of each edge. That should be enough to knock down the coating. Just my humble and uninformed opinion.

I don't mean to jump in here since this will be my first post on B&B, but I wouldn't cork a new blade. The objective is to knock down the coating on the edge. I think corking could possibly dull the edge, even if only slightly. What I would do is take a pair of blue jeans hanging in your closet and swipe the edges on the pants leg a few times, flipping and rotating, so you get each side of each edge. That should be enough to knock down the coating. Just my humble and uninformed opinion.
I've never had a noticeable issue with corking blades, but I honestly used to just strop most blades on the edge of my thumb or palm. I only moved to the cork for safety.

I've never had a noticeable issue with corking blades, but I honestly used to just strop most blades on the edge of my thumb or palm. I only moved to the cork for safety.
I get the safety issue. That's why I suggested using your jeans. Normally I use the base of my palm, especially when I want to extend the life of a blade. Funny thing is, when I think about safety while using the base of my palm, that's when it gets sketchy. If I don't think about it, all goes well.

Regarding sharpness, I'll re-quote what you said, "I've never had a noticeable issue with corking blades." You're speaking from experience, which I don't have.

I get the safety issue. That's why I suggested using your jeans. Normally I use the base of my palm, especially when I want to extend the life of a blade. Funny thing is, when I think about safety while using the base of my palm, that's when it gets sketchy. If I don't think about it, all goes well.

Regarding sharpness, I'll re-quote what you said, "I've never had a noticeable issue with corking blades." You're speaking from experience, which I don't have.

I've sort of reached a point that a lot of blades I corked in the past to get to that sweet 2nd shave I've sort of quit using much, or I just take it easy on shave 1 with them and let my face do the hard work. I keep a cork in the bathroom so it's there when I feel the urge, but I'm probably only using it a few times a year. Most of my favorites at the moment are pretty good to go from shave one. I suspect I'd be just as happy going back to palm stropping when I feel the need to do this.

That said I corked a Shark Chrome for Shark Week and had the best batch of shaves from any Shark blade I've ever run across. Not sure if it was random, or if the corking actually helped. Since Sharks aren't a major part of my rotation it may just stay a mystery :)

Before I started to palm strope, I threw away a box of blades out of frustration because they felt like sandpaper across my face. I learned that palm stroping is a great way to use blades that feel uncomfortable, even if it's for only one shave (it eases the blade's bite). It's great if you can get multiple shave, and sometimes surprisingly smooth. :)

Used a new Astra SS and again was comfortable out of the wrapper. Next step is to see how many good shaves I can get. Hoping for 8.

Top Bottom