What's new

1st buy- pinaud special reserve

recently i followed the lead of many others here and purchased a pinaud product.my barber uses regular clubman as an after cut hair tonic but i'm on the fence as to whether i like it or not.out of the bottle it has a scent reminescent of tomcat urine but that is not what it smells of upon application. so i did some research here and decided to try the special reserve as it was said to have a bit of a sandalwood scent.upon opening the bottle i thought i detected a bit of cedar and spice,not sure of the sandalwood though.i did a quick shave and splashed some on.not very moisturizing but strong and on me very lasting the next morning i could still smell it.since it was a bit drying and very strong i mixed 20% clubman ,20% glycerine and 60%witch hazel in a small cruet bottle and used it as an a/s.the mix was moisturing and toned down the scent.the scent kept its staying power though.i could still smell it 8-9 hours later.just cannot wear this within 24 hours of going hunting as every deer within 5 miles would smell me!

just a thought.after wearing this a few times it occurs to me that it smells somewhat like stetson.any one else have this opinion?or is it just me?

just an update.after wearing this stuff for a while i have realized the dry down brings out an english leather type scent.so i think it starts out reminescent of stetson and dries down to english leather type scent.that is the best way i can describe this scent.of course pinaud has been around forever and has probably been an inspiration or base for newer scents

Special Reserve is verry strong stuff. Some may disagree with me, but I find it kin to Floris #89, with the Pinaud being slightly more funeral parlor and powdery. It actually lasts longer than the #89, too. The scent is okay in moderation, but any more is really obnoxious and gag-inducing. I mix it with witch hazel for aftershave, although I haven't used it in a while.

Edit: I can't imagine anyone taking the advice on the bottle and splashing it freely all over the body!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Special Reserve is verry strong stuff. Some may disagree with me, but I find it kin to Floris #89, with the Pinaud being slightly more funeral parlor and powdery. It actually lasts longer than the #89, too. The scent is okay in moderation, but any more is really obnoxious and gag-inducing. I mix it with witch hazel for aftershave, although I haven't used it in a while.

Edit: I can't imagine anyone taking the advice on the bottle and splashing it freely all over the body!

You sound like a candidate who would enjoy Bootlegger's Eldorado. If you PM me your address, I can send you a free sample? :)

Top Bottom