What's new

1st attempt at a restoration, need conceptual advice

Hi all. I've never done a restoration, but I recently was given an old Ever Ready 100T handle with a totally beat knot that someone was going to throw away. I rescued it because the handle is actually in pretty good shape.

full

full

Naturally, I decided that I need to restore this bad boy. I watched some youtube restoration vids, and think I have the general idea, but I have one giant question left. My question is best illustrated by a top view, showing what was left after I got the bristles out:

full

Here is where I reveal my ignorance. A penny fits perfectly in that interior space, so the inner diameter is roughly 19mm. A quarter covers that inner piece almost perfectly, so its diameter is about 24mm. I see two possibilities.

1) I will need to get that inner piece out, and put in a 24mm knot.
2) I will need to set a small knot, say 18mm inside that piece.

Which is it?

Ok, did some more digging and found this thread which address my question. The answer is that people have gone both ways.

I think what I'll (first) do is leave the shelf in place ad using a small knot. If that does not satisfy, I can yank it and try the second method.

I think this calls for boar. Any opinions on golden nib knots?

The boar knots from TGN are outstanding. I was taken by surprise when I first used mine. None of the scritch I was expecting, just an awesome lathering brush with a great feel to it. I think you'll be very happy with it. They're in the same price range as cheaper synths, but a far better knot imo.

That is exactly what I hoped to hear. I went ahead and ordered, will post photos when my restoration effort is complete. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom