What's new

1988 Supoer Adjustable just sold on the bay

Oh wow, I didn't realize they made them for so long. Are the 80's models all metal or do they have plastic parts? I think the Super Adjustable from that time unfortunately do have plastic parts, but I could of course be wrong.

I updated the wiki to reflect the date, but if you search around you find it mentioned. I would have bought it but didn't want to take someone's birth year razor from them if that's what it was. For collect ability that's got to be a pretty rare razor

1988-89 was when Gillette seemed to shut down DE production in the US. Blade production moved to France for a little while. Razors moved elsewhere around then as well. I have Gillette thins and super blues from 88 and 89 showing the transition. By 1990, I think all production had moved overseas, with those plastic dispensers with the stickers on the front for DE blades, and the DE razors for sale being non-adjustible ones like the G1000, but sold in the US oftentimes as Gillettes, with black and red packaging. There are examples, especially imported to Canada that go up to about 2000-01. There were some on here and at the bay in the last couple of years. I personally saw them at Wal-Mart in Windsor around that time. They were about $11-12 IIRC.

Those are undoubtedly rare, since carts had a stranglehold on the market by then.

As for myself, I'd love to find an A1 coded black handle SS or SA (or perhaps both!).

I am lucky enough to have found a D-2 1983 Black handled superspeed on my first real expedition into the wild. Thats my birth year and quarter. Would love a super adjustable from that year. These production years have the finer criss-cross knurling, similar to a 40's style SS

Oh wow, I didn't realize they made them for so long. Are the 80's models all metal or do they have plastic parts? I think the Super Adjustable from that time unfortunately do have plastic parts, but I could of course be wrong.
AFAIK, production of the SA ended in 1986. Beginning in 1977 the bottom head plate was polymer, instead of metal.

I can be wrong but by the texture of the handle, I think it's a Gillette Made In Mexico.

Define 'Steal' ? I saw super adjustable being sold for 15$ to 90$, on tbe bay.

Top Bottom