What's new

15 years

It was 15 years ago that I went shopping for soap for my mug and DE blades, and couldn't find any. So I swallowed my pride, bought a cartridge razor and a can of goop and stopped caring about shaving. I even grew a goatee a short time after that, less face to shave. I put up with paying the price for cartridges and goop, until I looked here about a week ago and nearly fell over from sticker shock.

So I came home and headed for Google, I figured someone in Europe was still using DE and I was going to get some, no matter what. Boy was I pleasantly surprised, I found this place and several places online and then around town to get wet shaving supplies. Found a nice Merkur razor, brushes are a lot more expensive and soap & creams beyond my wildest imagination.

Then I started reading about how everyone just loves the Gillette Fatboy, well my dad gave me his with mug and brush in 1983. So instead of getting a new razor, I dug out my old gear and cleaned it up, except for the brush. The brush had gotten pushed against the edge of the mug and the bristles pushed over the side, they were toast. So I cleaned up the ole Fatboy, added a little oil and it's working just like it should, scrubbed the little bit of the last puck of soap out of the mug and she looks like new.

So while in the grocery store today I went looking to see if they had any stuff, and picked up Van der Hagen starter set and a pack of store brand blades. The Van der Hagen soap isn't bad, I've had better, but I've also have had a lot worse. The brush is boar bristle, it'll turn out all right in about 6 months. The blades are made in Israel and remind me of the Persona Red Pack.

So after 15 years, I put the Fatboy to my face and was amazed I still remembered how to do it, no bleeders or weepers. I am just flat tickled pink, my face hasn't been this smooth in a long time. Now that I'm caring about shaving again, I don't think the goatee will last much longer.

I missed out on getting grandpa's Gillette. He passed about 10 years ago, and I just found DE shaving. My mom said it was probably thrown out with a bunch of his stuff. I was pretty let down, but nothing to be done about it now.

Welcome back!

For a nice boar brush, you can get an Omega or Semogue for $10-20. You can also splurge for a Semogue SOC boar from vintagescents for in the $30's . . . I think. They have a coupon that floats around sometimes.

Welcome back. It certainly is nice to come full circle again isn't it? Thanks for sharing your story and if you can WE LOVE PICS. Show off tour dads Fatboy:D

Glad to see you come back, sounds like for some store brand blades its working quite well for you. Find a blade that works best in the fatboy and you will be real happy!

Sweet, welcome back to DE shaving, coming from someone still relatively new to DE shaving! Great that you still had that Fatboy. Which store did you get your "store brand" blades from?

Welcome back!

I can understand the cartridge razor, if you could not find any DE blades anymore .... but why on earth did you buy a can of shaving foam? Surely decent soaps and brushes must have been available??

About those DE blades ... I cannot really understand how they were completely unavailable in the USA? The choices surely thinned out here in Europe (*), but I cannot remember a time when they were not available at all. Many supermarkets still carry either Israel made blades, or Wilkinson Swords.

(*) talking about Germany and Holland here

Welcome Back!

I have almost same story. Went with Gillette Sensor in the 80's just found my way back to my Slim a few months ago. But I never gave up my soap, tried can stuff did not like it. Nice to hear others are on the same road. Enjoy! :)

Top Bottom