What's new

132 Blades - Dorco ST-300 Platinum out of Vietnam

The Dorco Prime Platinum proved to me that the Dorco blades of today are not the same ones that gave me such a pizza face over 10 years ago. For this review, I can honestly say I wish the ST-300 had scored higher. Not that the score it got was bad, at 7.92 it is in the top 1/3 so far. I've been thinking about what to do when this test is over and I've pretty much decided that I'm going to draw a line somewhere near the top of the list and decide to get a tuck of each of the top ranking blades and do a 5 blade test of each before I do 50 - 100 blade buys of multiple brands. As this test matures, it is staring to become evident that a score of 8 or more is where the really good blades end up. So far, for me, that list is Asco Platinum, Big Ben Classic, Crown Super Stainless, Dollar Platinum, Asco Super Stainless, Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile, and Big Ben Super Stainless as the very top blade so far. Darn it, I wish this Dorco was on that list, and I may still buy a tuck as an exception because I believe if I take some time and get to know the blade, it will evolve into a reliably bloodless choice. Yes, the total of 5 shaves is a little less than others, but for me, anything 4 or more is quite acceptable and I would much rather dispose of a blade for how it feels than for how is shaves. I will let you read the entries rather than rehashing them as this post is long enough.

1687137927927.png

Next up is the ST-301 which is not the same blade as the 300 is platinum and PFTE while the 301 is simply platinum.

7.92 looks awfully close to the 8 cut-off for a ‘top-tier’ blade. Worth another try or three IMO!!
I was going through my sample stash and saw where the vendor made a mistake and put 2 of these blades in instead of one. I've got a second to test and I'm going to do that, likely on my next trip with my family for a 4 day weekend vacation. I can take a Gillette travel razor with me and will likely put it in that and give it a shave or three and see what I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

In my experience, it is a very very good blade, I could shave with it no problem if it was the only blade in the world.

The Dorco Prime Platinum proved to me that the Dorco blades of today are not the same ones that gave me such a pizza face over 10 years ago. For this review, I can honestly say I wish the ST-300 had scored higher. Not that the score it got was bad, at 7.92 it is in the top 1/3 so far. I've been thinking about what to do when this test is over and I've pretty much decided that I'm going to draw a line somewhere near the top of the list and decide to get a tuck of each of the top ranking blades and do a 5 blade test of each before I do 50 - 100 blade buys of multiple brands. As this test matures, it is staring to become evident that a score of 8 or more is where the really good blades end up. So far, for me, that list is Asco Platinum, Big Ben Classic, Crown Super Stainless, Dollar Platinum, Asco Super Stainless, Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile, and Big Ben Super Stainless as the very top blade so far. Darn it, I wish this Dorco was on that list, and I may still buy a tuck as an exception because I believe if I take some time and get to know the blade, it will evolve into a reliably bloodless choice. Yes, the total of 5 shaves is a little less than others, but for me, anything 4 or more is quite acceptable and I would much rather dispose of a blade for how it feels than for how is shaves. I will let you read the entries rather than rehashing them as this post is long enough.

View attachment 1673216
Next up is the ST-301 which is not the same blade as the 300 is platinum and PFTE while the 301 is simply platinum.
Who told you that? Market departments will throw whatever rubbish they want at you. All modern stainless steel blades have PTFE coating above the metal coatings.
Both ST300 and ST301 say Platinum and both have the PTFE on top. They just decided to lie about it and claim one has and the other doesn't have PTFE.
There is an old info here on the forum. Very very old. ST300 is not for shaving but for hair shaping. St301 is the blade for shaving. Back then there wasn't Dorco Prime and Dorco Titanium. Only ST300 and ST301. ST301 is a tad sharper than the ST300.

Titan and Prime are a different thing. They aren't aimed at barbers. Search around and you will see that only ST300 and ST301 are sold as half-blades.

Who told you that? Market departments will throw whatever rubbish they want at you. All modern stainless steel blades have PTFE coating above the metal coatings.
Both ST300 and ST301 say Platinum and both have the PTFE on top. They just decided to lie about it and claim one has and the other doesn't have PTFE.
There is an old info here on the forum. Very very old. ST300 is not for shaving but for hair shaping. St301 is the blade for shaving. Back then there wasn't Dorco Prime and Dorco Titanium. Only ST300 and ST301. ST301 is a tad sharper than the ST300.

Titan and Prime are a different thing. They aren't aimed at barbers. Search around and you will see that only ST300 and ST301 are sold as half-blades.
RazorBladesClub.com is where the info originated.
1687398820241.png

View attachment 1673216
Hi Kent, First thank you for sharing your ratings with us. Surprised at all the weepers that seem to be the reason the rating dropped to 7.92. Dorco Stainless and Prime are my top performing blades.

Actually the ST301 and ST300 blades are the same blade. The only difference is that the ST300 comes in a cardboard tuck with the ST301 in plastic. The RazorBladesClub.com site where you sourced your information is just plain wrong. We've confirmed that these are the same blades via direct communications with Dorco going back to 2008 and detailed reviews of the Dorco web site and catalog. Details via the link below to our Dorco blade Info Thread.

Have a look at the obvious errors on the RazorBladesClub site (screenshot below). They show multiple listings for the same blade with one from Vietnam and one not noted as from Vietnam in the title yet in the detailed blade specification they show Vietnam as the country of origin for both listings. They do this for both the Titans and the ST300 blades.

Finally the tuck photos for the ST300 and ST301 blades that supposedly originate in Vietnam look like those from older made in Korea production as they don't note HQ Technology. Unsure where the yellow and blue ST300 tuck is from as I've never seen this before for the Dorco Stainless blades. Possibilities are anything from old production, counterfeit, or custom design for a specific local market.

The information provided by this retailer on their web site is not reliable. Also, you may want to have a look at the tucks they sent you to confirm they are the newer made in Vietnam production. Please post photo's of the tucks if you have them.

@Bobbers and @Rhody FYI that you may want to the the posts in the thread linked below. The newer Dorco DE blades from Vietnam are quite good.

Link to Dorco Info Thread:
Dorco Double Edge Blade SKU Changes & Clarifications - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/dorco-double-edge-blade-sku-changes-clarifications.616434/

Screenshot of RazorBladesClub Dorco Listings:

Attachments

• RazorBladesClubDorcoScreenshot6_24_23 - Copy.png
    RazorBladesClubDorcoScreenshot6_24_23 - Copy.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 16

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great info very informative
I have to 300s but haven’t used them I’m a while I’m pretty sure they were the new mfg but I’ll need to double check.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The 301 package indicates that the 301s are 111% better than the 301 blades. And it’s new technology.

Hyperbole? Sales talk?

Maybe. But I gotta say these 301s are darn near the best blade I’ve ever used. Granted it was a first use so could be beginners luck. But oh man I’m impressed. Smooth. Way sharp. (Had 3 days growth) and a light feeling blade.

The 301 package indicates that the 301s are 111% better than the 301 blades. And it’s new technology.

Hyperbole? Sales talk?

Maybe. But I gotta say these 301s are darn near the best blade I’ve ever used. Granted it was a first use so could be beginners luck. But oh man I’m impressed. Smooth. Way sharp. (Had 3 days growth) and a light feeling blade.
Similar for me for my Dorco's. I've both the ST300/301 and Prime blades (STP300/301). After trying these I stopped looking at other brands. Started with Derby Extra, then Astra SP and then added the Dorcos. Plenty of blades for a long while. For me all these brands shave well, major difference is longevity with Dorcos providing the most shaves per blase.

I do have a Connaught popular blade sample pack (10 different tucks) purchased to hit a shipping minimum last fall. If I ever get bored playing around with soaps I'll need to try them out and see if any brands offer me any difference beyond longevity variance.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Similar for me for my Dorco's. I've both the ST300/301 and Prime blades (STP300/301). After trying these I stopped looking at other brands. Started with Derby Extra, then Astra SP and then added the Dorcos. Plenty of blades for a long while. For me all these brands shave well, major difference is longevity with Dorcos providing the most shaves per blase.

I do have a Connaught popular blade sample pack (10 different tucks) purchased to hit a shipping minimum last fall. If I ever get bored playing around with soaps I'll need to try them out and see if any brands offer me any difference beyond longevity variance.
I have some primes somewhere. I’ve got to locate them. I ordered titans. But these st 301s knocked my socks off.and I’ve tried most of the blade brands with a few exceptions of course.

Top Bottom