What's new

132 Blades - Derby Extra out of Turkey

It is safe to say that Derby is a better blade than it was back when I could rely on those blades to render my face as red as an uncooked pizza (less the cheese). This blade was a bit of a conundrum, it got better on shave 3 which hasn't happened to me before. However, after that shave it got bloody. In thinking about it, I get enough bloodless shaves and even had one blade so far give me COMPLETELY bloodless shaves through to disposal. I am beginning to wonder if I am wearing away coatings an doing so is exposing me to a blade with, for all intents, multiple personalities. I took a look at blades so far to see how they grouped by material and will discuss that a little later. Getting back to the Derby, not a choice I would make but if given the blades, I would give each a shave or 3 before disposal.

1683986219408.png

To rate an 8, there are 4 or fewer weepers/bleeders from the first to last shave for the blade.

1683987254422.png

In looking at the multi-coated blades, so far, the best I can say is mediocre performance while those billing a simple single metal composition appear to be able to deliver the performance. All of the Derby blades have this same coating and we don't see it again until I get into the L's where Lion uses the same coating, but that is also a Derby manufactured blade. The 2 derby blades I have used so far scored very close (7.62 vs 7.64) and that makes me wonder if it is coincidence or simply the same manufacturing line and 2 marketing labels.

Next up, Derby Extra Blue

I have noticed that on a Parker blade - after shave 4 or so, it’ll start to give me little weepers, so I have to change things a bit if I want to use them that long. And even then it’s hit or miss.

the Parker list the same coatings that the Derby do… also, they use the same paper box packaging if you buy the 100 pack… it’s just a different color ink and markings, everything else is identical on the box itself. Even the little plastic tucks are the same… I imagine they come from the same place.

awesome chart!

Top Bottom