What's new

1.1 mm Stub nib from Goulet Pens review

I picked up a new pen that a #6 Bosch nib/feed, so thought "Hey, I'll grab a space 1.1mm Stub nib as well to play with in it..". Going through my other pens, I realized I had one already using a #6 Bosch nib/feed, so instead of dropping the nib into the new pen, swapped it out into that one instead to play around with. Tested with a J. Herbin Violette Pensee ink I had a sample of laying around I hadn't used yet.

Swapping the nib in was pretty straightforward. Plenty of video tutorial's out there on that, so I won't go into that part. I will note that those nibs and feeds have a decent bit of play in them where the nib moves around left/right on the feed more than I'd prefer, so it comes out of alignment a bit pretty easily. I noticed that on them even with the original factory nib installed by the factory into the feed unit. Doesn't seem to affect the over all writing of the pens, though.

The nib started out feeling a bit scratchier than I expected, but has smoothed out a hair after a bit of writing with it. Those that are more into tinkering with this sort of thing would I am sure suggest a bit of micro mesh polishing on it to smooth it out even more. It writes on the dry side, not sure what sort of adjustment can be made in the nib seating to make it a bit wetter, but it's not so dry that it causes any breaks or issues.

While I write too small in general for that large of a stub nib to be a daily driver nib for me, I can easily see using it for post cards, bday/holiday cards, short notes and such where I can intentionally write larger and see the nice line variation it gives. Over all a nice nib to play around with and to have the option of using when it's called for.

IMG_20181125_2337186.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Bosch? I use their spark plugs ...

Does the Goulet 1.1 have tipping material or is it straight steel? Sometimes the untipped nibs will "catch" but not usually scratchy but you did say it seemed on the dry side. Looks stealth cool!

Bosch? I use their spark plugs ...

Does the Goulet 1.1 have tipping material or is it straight steel? Sometimes the untipped nibs will "catch" but not usually scratchy but you did say it seemed on the dry side. Looks stealth cool!
Could very well be the same company making the nibs and spark plugs, as well as the other power tools under that same name.

It seems to be straight steel to me, I don't see any evidence of any tipping on it. The edges are rounded nice so I have not had it catch at all. The scratchy could also just be considered to be a much higher level of feedback of the nib on the paper than I am used to having. Compounding that, I have realized I use a bit more pressure than is needed for writing, so that will add more drag/feedback from the nib as well.

After the writeup, I also did some more writing with the pen in a Rhodia standard A5 lined notebook, instead of a dot grid, and I am way better at regulating my letter sizes on that. I found out I could use that nib as a daily driver for like journals/diaries where I'm just straight out writing in a lined notebook.

Top Bottom