What's new

Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes Shave Cream

Pros: Good lather, lubrication and glide.
Cons: Price. Smell is a hair artificial.
I am basing this on the T&H sample which gives you about 3 separate shaves from each scent cream. Good cream with a good but not perfect scent (smells a little artificial). Very good lather, lubricity and glide.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Price - In relation to price, T&H is the middle child of the 3 T's. It is not so expensive that it hurts, but it is priced highly enough that you may want to try a sample before purchasing a whole tub. Luckily, samples are not difficult to come by (I've found Nordstrom's to be very generous).

Scent - The scent was the primary selling point for me. While standing in the store, I cracked open a tub and after a few whiffs, I couldn't make myself put this stuff down. The smell is somewhere between fresh limes and lime sherbet.

Latherability - This cream lathers like a dream. It is every bit as good as the offerings from Taylor's. It produces a rich, thick, slick mix. Honestly, it lathers as well as any cream I have used to date.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Moisturizing Properties - Like the creams from the Taylor's family, this product does good things for my skin. Skin health is better after the shave than it was before.

Packaging - This is where T&H gets a leg up on the other two T's. The box is rich and attractive in appearance while T&H still uses a plastic tub, they have taken it up a notch by using a colored tub. Overall, the packaging is very nice and could only be made better with substitution of a glass tub.
displayimage.php

Quality / Efficacy - Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes is an excellent cream. It performs fantastically in every category. Along with being a product of absolute TOP quality, it is also a product of great luxury. Every time I use a product that shares these same high marks, I wonder why I bother with anything else. If, however, I had stuck with that philosophy, I never would have experimented with this cream.

Overall - I love this product. It has quickly moved into my top 3.

To discuss this review, see this thread.
After 2 years, I still love this shave cream. I agree with Kyle's observations.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this recently, and am very impressed. It may be my imagination, but this stuff seems to shave a bit better than the other T&H offerings, which have always been ho-hum for me. The scent is very nice; I detect a bit of "graininess" in the aroma, perhaps that of freshly malted barley or baking bread. Very nice stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've tried several T&H's, and this seems to be the pick of the litter. It gives me a better shave than their other blends, and smells like a dream. If only the Coates Lime cream smelled this good.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is by far my favorite cream...I find myself using it more often than any other. Lathers like a dream, and the scent always seems to pick me up. The price actually doesn't bother me since the tub lasts for quite a long time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I think the scent is a little artificial - that said, it's still pretty good. I've found that personally, T&H creams just don't provide as slick a surface as my Taylor's does, but it's not horrible. Overall a pretty good cream; I'll be adding it to my rotation because it's something different.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I bought this in the travel tube, so my ratings for packaging and pricing are based on that. I prefer metal tubes (ala Proraso and Musgo Real) to plastic, because it is easier to get all the product out when you get to the end, but not a big deal overall. The one positive of the plastic tube is that it stands up in my cabinet. This cream lathers fantastically and provides a very good shave. You certainly don't need very much of it to get enough for 3 or 4 passes, so even though it isn't inexpensive, it is not as bad as it would seem just from the price per ounce. It didn't dry out my face, but did not especially moisturize it either. This might be better in the summer when I don't have the same dry skin problems that I have in winter. The scent is nice and is a good morning pick-me-up. All in all it is a top notch cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This shaving cream smells absolutely amazing!The first time I squeezed some into my shaving mug and started to lather my senses were filled with joy!It has the same sensory wow factor as ( although I'm not comparing the actual scent) Taylor's Avocado cream.When you open the bowl and sniff you are blown away!I feel it really enhances your mood when you shave with it in the morning.It lathers well,shaves well,moisturises well and I think you know what I make of the smell.Buy some now!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
for me this just does not cut the mustard. I really wanted to like this cream.
I got a free sample along with a new razor I purchased. At the same time I purchased Proraso, I was starting out on the DE shaving so did not want to spend too much on shaving cream till I knew I prefered this way of shaving! Well of course I am totally hooked now and shaving with the proraso has been like a dream come true as far as close, comfortable shaves is concerned.
So today I thought I would crack open the sample of Truefitt and hill that was given to me.
It lathered ok but not as well as the proraso, I made sure I got it to the same consistancy as I am used to then shaved. Being new to this I am not sure of the terminology but it just did not feel as satisfying or efficient as the proraso to use, I did not get anywhere near the closeness of shave that I get with the proraso and did not enjoy the shave so much either, which is one of the main factors for me over the cut and dash multi experience!

So, low marks and I stand to be corrected on the use of this. I think this comes down to the old addadge "horses for courses" I am sure this is a great product but it just does not work for me.

Maybe the higher end creams need more work to get the best out of them? I would have thought that paying more is meant to ease not burden the load!

Still, as I say, one mans opinion and I have to speak as I find, maybe the expensive creams don't like cheap brushes(I have a body shop brush soon to be replace with a C&E Edwin jagger) I will try again with that, it may make a difference.
I really really wanted to like this product, I love the smell and the history behind the product but for me the proraso beat it hands down!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
To the poster who said this smells like Lemon Pledge, I totally agree. That was the first thing that occurred to me when I opened it, however the scent grew on me and now I love it. This cream has the perfect blend of slickness and creaminess. It lathers great and gives close, comfortable shaves every time. I can't praise it enough.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Call me another satisfied customer.

I've had the opportunity to use this cream in the West Indies for several months, and it's really helped to get my day going in the warm weather.

First and foremost, I haven't tried a citrus-scented cream that has smelled better to me--rich and refreshing at the same time.

With some care for the cream/water balance, T&H Limes has produced LOTS of excellent lather.

Considering the relatively high levels of humidity in the Caribbean, I don't think I've had the best vantage for judging this cream: But I do end shaves with a smooth and soft face, with very little irritation.

Personally, I like T&H's simple-but-classy black tubs with gold lettering for all their creams, differentiated by name and box color. Taking-out the box for my first shave with T&H Limes, the whole product experience made clear to me why people buy from the 3Ts, and my first shaves with Limes and Trafalgar convinced me that I liked T&H best of all.

As other members have noted, a tub of T&H sets you back farther than most other creams: In terms of quality and value for money, though, I couldn't really complain.

Do yourself a favor and buy some of this stuff to use over the Summer!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I gave the price an impartial 5 - I concider it pricey but worth every penny.

all the properties of a great shaving cream are in this.

I top it off wit the T&H west indian line aftershave.

I'm not sure if the scent lasts. I can' smell it an hour later but I've had people say that they can smell the great Lime smell at the end of the day.

This was my "save for special evening out" cream. But I ended using it as my Friday/weekend cream.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Where do I begin? This cream is just, well, amazing! It's by far my favorite cream! It really is. The price, although expensive, is worth it. Latherability is top notch. Scent, well, you just have to have one to understand. Of all scents, this is my favorite. I especially enjoy this during the spring and summer months. Moisturizing properties are great for me; they provide enough hydration for my skin. Again, this is my favorite cream of all...and I own many! :biggrin:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I kind of jumped the gun with this cream. I wanted to believe that I would LOVE T&H, so I went ahead and bought a tub of it from Classic. Then I
found T&H's website and asked for a sample.

Backwards, eh? Anyway, Brittney from T&H got me my sample before Classic got me the purchase, so I tried the stuff.

Scent is NOT lime. I don't know what it is. It's a very woody scent. And it does smell good. But it's not a lime like Castle Forbes, who makes absolutely the best lime out there as far as I'm concerned.

And it sticks around. I squeezed the stuff into my hand and three hours later my hand still smells like T&H lime.

Everything else is wonderful. Lathering, efficacy, moisturizing - all great. This stuff works very well indeed. But the scent is disappointing and my new tub may end up on the sales forum since you can get creams that work well nearly anywhere.

So, good marks for everything but scent. And as I said the scent isn't bad. But if you want in your face lime, this isn't it. Castle Forbes or Mama Bear is the way to go for that pure lime scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Nice cream, excellent lather.

The scent wasn't what I was expecting though. I really thought it would smell just of lime and the first time I took the lid off the pot I got a real shock in fact I positively disliked the smell on first impression. I didn't even use it for the first week however I began to have second thoughts as the scent lingered in my memory. Every so often I'd be tempted to sniff it again and eventually decided the scent wasn't positively unpleasant. Used it a couple of times, then a couple of times more. By that time I was starting to think it wasn't too bad smelling at all.

A month has gone by and now it's one of my favourites and I use it probably more than any other cream. The scent really grew on me as I got more used to it, I would describe it as lime with spices . . . lots of spices! Reminiscent of the Caribbean, a much heavier more complex scent than I ever expected, not something you can take in with one sniff.

Take some time to get used to this one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
All I'll say is that this cream performs INCREDIBLY. It lathers well, doesn't dry out on my skin during the shave, and leaves my skin feeling good after the shave.

...However, the scent kills it for me. I have always loved the smell of limes. If you're looking for the smell of fresh cut limes (as I was) in this cream, however, you will be disappointed. The first thing that came to mind upon smelling this was "It smells like Trix" (the kids' cereal). This, my friends, is not what I want to smell like during or after a shave.

I know it's hard to nail a tart scent like a freshly-cut lime, and I realize that people in general may not even like that smell, and instead have more experience with / prefer the smell of a fake lime Life-Saver or whatever. For me though, I can't do this, which si really disappointing because the cream is otherwise WONDERFUL.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
T&H W.I. Limes was my first luxury shaving cream, and I still think about the fantastic, deep lime-citrus scent. This is the perfect cream for the summer months because it is so fresh and citrusy. The scent is strong and does linger, but I actually prefer that sort of lingering since it keeps me smelling fresh throughout the day. Also, it produces a great lather just like the other T&H creams, and lasts forever. Definitely will pick up a tub when I run out of my current offerings.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
After receiving my Truefitt and Hill sample bag,I went straight to work trying them out. I have already commented on the Grafton,which is a sheer delight!
Up next was the West Indian Limes. I lathered up a rich whip and have to admit that the cream is good in that regard. Whips up nicely and does it's job well on my face. The only thing that I didn't like was the scent. It just was too "limey" for me.Too pungent a citrus scent. The Trumper's version of Limes is a much better scent to my nasal cavity. So needless to say,I'm happy i purchased the sample pack to try this out and didn't buy up the tub or tube.
I now have many samples to go and look forward to reviewing each one.

Jim
I wish its lime aroma was a bit more overpowering, but in all functional criteria I find this cream excellent and it smells delightful, too.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)