What's new

Truefitt & Hill 1805

Great scent, so easy to lather & leaves your skin feeling soft & supple.
What's not to like?
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Exquisite aromas, luxurious lather, decadence throught the entire experience
Cons: Pricier than alternatives
WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shave Cream. What it does is simply majestic. Read on for more!

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
I took a small amount onto my brush and into the bowl. I swirled the brush a few times in each direction to start the lather, and added a few drops of water occasionally to really moisten the lather and allow it to build to its full capabilities. I then applied to my face (which was already moistened with my own preshave oil), in a light circular motion (we all know how to lather). It's exactly the same to use as any other shave cream in that respect.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
It is incredible really. One spent much time in the shaving doldrums that I began to think that there was no such thing as an exquisite shave. Oh, Truefitt & Hill, you have completely dispelled that myth. The enticing aromas of 1805 are simply divine. A review I read likened it to the era where men were men and honour was paramount, and I have to say, it was not wrong. The scent is unmistakably classy, befitting of an honourable gentleman. The cream is luxurious, and the experience decadent down to the last detail. I do not think it is possible to get a cream that gives a better shave experience. I firmly believe that this is the pinnacle of shave creams, and I'd take a pistol duel at 20 paces with anyone who thinks otherwise!

WOULD YOU BUY IT AGAIN?
I would sell my kidneys if that's what it took to raise the funds for more of this.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent. Rich and moist lather. Smooth and comfortable shave.
Cons: It is pricy but woth the cost for an occasional splurge.
Love the scent. With a little bit of cream and a couple of dabs of water, this cream form a dense, moist lather which is luxurious on the face. The shave is smooth and comfortable as can be with good moisturizing when complete. I would highly recommend this cream if you want to treat yourself or someone else.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: very slick
Cons: only that I wish the fragrance was stronger
Newbie, and up until this point TOBS Sandalwood was my go to cream. Have tried some samples but my poor execution from the small containers may be biasing the trial.

Ordered a tub of 1805 and was quite impressed. Lathered quicker, more dense, and really slick compared to my TOBS. I suspect that's what you get for the price differential. But with less product the cost-per-shave is probably equal.

My only complaint is that I wish the scent was stronger. My wife can tell when I use the sandalwood. But I guess that's what cologne is for. This is definately in my top 3 rotatation. I'll try a more potent fragrance next.

I also bought a tub of Vulfix Sicilian Lime stay tuned on a report.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Truefitt & Hill's 1805 is one of my absolute favorite scents. Perhaps because it reminds me of my formative years spent on the shores of Santa Cruz.... but without all of the bums, beer bottles, and flotsam.

The price of a tub of this ocean foam isn't cheap, but of course that's par for the course for Truefitt & Hill. The cream itself is quite nice and luxurious. The cream takes little coaxing to whip up a thick, rich, very luxurious lather. It feels great on the face, and provides optimal slickness for slicing through stubble. The smell as mentioned is very pleasing, but not overpowering. There are definitely much better 'value' buys out there, but when you're looking for a morning shave that screams "bring me a mojito love, I just got back from watching the deckhands scrub my yacht," then this is the cream for you.

Now on to some pictorial goodness:

The cream in question:
displayimage.php

One more shot of the tub:
displayimage.php

A look under the hood:
displayimage.php

A little dab 'll do ya:
displayimage.php

Brush soup:
displayimage.php

A gentle shake:
displayimage.php

Lathery peaks of latherific goodness:
displayimage.php

Prepping to shave my hand:
displayimage.php

A Thumbs up for 1805:
displayimage.php

-Nick

To discuss this review, please go here.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
My first Comment in a review thread... I like this cream THAT much. I actually traded for my tub of T&H 1805, so from a pure cost standpoint it's a bargain in that sense... provided you can convince someone to part with theirs, for some stuff of yours that you don't want/like/need.

LOVE the scent and the performance. Typical of the high-end 3 T's.

Definitely one of my favorites...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A very nice review by Nick. Alas, I cannot quite find the joy that he does in this product. While 1805 is one of my favorite colognes, I personally find I don't much care for the way it comes out in the cream. Also, I find it horrendously drying compared to other creams, even other T&H offerings. If you are a T&H die-hard, you will of course love this product. If not, there are better T&H options around. This is a decent, but not great, product IMNHO.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is my current favorite scent; I use the cream, the ASB and the cologne. Talk about layering! :biggrin: My SWMBO always remarks how much she likes it. I agree that it is somewhat more drying than most other creams, but the scent rules!

-Casey
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
My first T&H cream, and I must say: I am a fan! I think the performance is just about identical to my Taylor creams (a good thing :thumbup:), but that makes the value of this cream a bit lower. I love the scent, which I agree wouldn't hurt to be sampled first. One of my two favorite cologne-scented creams (the other is Taylor's Eaton College)--highly recommended!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
So I got this as a sample from Scotto. It's a great scent, but it really doesn't have the slickness of my Taylor's. The razor skips a bit, and it just doesn't feel as smooth. That said, it's a fine shave and a pretty good scent so I may consider adding it to my collection.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Just started using this over the weekend and it's THE best lathering cream I have tried so far, even better than the Taylors. Starting off with a small bit, I always get way more lather than I need. I'm amazed how quick this whips up. Very luxurious shave and a fantastic scent. Face feels great after. A little pricey, but worth every penny. Time to break the bank to get more of this and some Lime.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
16 dollars for a travel tube at Nordstroms.

It doesnt lather as well as Taylors, Geo, or even American creams like Tom's of Maine or Nancy Boy

It smells good.

It isnt a lubricating cream, and that is a big turnoff for me.

All in all not a good cream for the price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
First and only problem with this cream is the price. If you can get over that I recommend it. TF sent me a couple samples and this was one of them. At first I thought to myself, ohh great this stuff smells horrible cause I remember it from nordstorm. However, when it lathered up. Which it does very well even with my hard water. The smell settled down and opened up. So this is what a "marine" scent is. I must say that I am a huge fan of this. Im gonna sample the A/S.

Anyway...It was hot today and I havent shaved in days. I wanted to try TF so I went through with it. I must say that I am very impressed. The lather was thick but very slick. I got a very close shave with much less razor burn than I normally do. You would too if you had to do 7 passes for a BBS!

Anyway...Great cream. Im def gonna buy a tub next chance I get!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm a huge fan of the 1805 scent! I think its probably my favorite scent of all shaving cremes. I have the shaving cream, balm and the cologne. Although the cream and balm are identical in scent, the cologne is slightly different. Its hard to explain, but its a little sharper. Regardless, this is about the shaving cream. My experience is that it lathers very well. Its moisturizing properties are above average, but not as good as C&E's creams. The quality of my tub of 1805 is excellent; however I've noticed some variance and inconsistency when compared to the Trafalger cream I have. Overall, 1805 is a great cream, and I would highly recommend taking it for a spin!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The first product I received as a trade in B&B a while back, that explains the top mark for the price. I had been intrigued by the cryptic name of this cream, "1805" does not say much about the scent and contents of the product. So I believe the general impression upon opening the tub is that of surprise:

The scent is one of the most pleasing ones I have ever tried. The note that is perhaps the most noticeable is the citrus one, probably mandarine. But other elements (such as bergamot?) calm it down and turn it into a complex (because you cannot pinpoint a single dominant note, two at most) yet straightforward scent. Oceanic? Most certainly, for I find myself unconsciously thinking of Caribbean beaches, warm seas and palm trees while shaving.

It lathers very easily and softens the whiskers for an uneventful, BBS shave. The lather itself is really thick and cushioning, the word luxurious instantly comes to mind for describing this cream.

It is moisturizing and alcohol-based aftershaves pair well with it. I first used Floid, and the result was excellent; I then bought the 1805 alcohol-based aftershave (which has a more prominent citrus note, it makes you think of mandarine peelings), and the scent lasts the whole day.

The T&H packaging and tubs are gorgeous, suffice it to say that after all this time I still have not gathered enough courage to throw away the box the tub came in.

Downsides? I find this scent is more convenient for warm weather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Easily my favorite scent out of any cream I have tried. Lathers pretty easily but doesn't seem to provide the quantity of lather that others that I use more regularly (do), and is probably at least partially due to hard water.

All in all a nice cream, but not an everyday use for me largely due to the price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Can I get a little lubrication, please?

I love the scent of this stuff, but that's about where it stops. I am, sufficed to say, disappointed with this cream. No glide, and dries my face to the point that at the end of the pass my face is sticky. It whips up lather OK I suppose, nothing to brag about at all. In fact, I'd much prefer the lather from ANY of my other soaps or creams in my regular rotation.

A loser all around.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
T&H 1805 constitute a fine group of products.

The shave creme lathers well and easily. It can be a little drier than other products, but not if you add a little more water while lathering, and even if you forget to, the "oceanic" scent is amazing.

The ASB is very fragrant, and (IMHO) suitable for business use without the cologne. The cologne is wonderful as well, and I'll apply it, but usually only if I have no business meetings until almost noon.

I don't shave with 1805 unless I need to reward myself for something. When I do, I enjoy it happily. No regrets.

I have 1805 creme, ASB, and cologne. You need them too. Suggest you buy these products and enjoy them. There are probably better products out there, but then ... the Law of Diminishing Returns is against you. Really.

Paul
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This is the best shaving cream (product) that I have tried so far. The price is somewhat stiff, but considering that everything in Norway is expensive and almost costs the same regardless of brand it does not stand out as expensive.

I usually have problems with sore skin regardless of products (a problem that I have from my grandfather) or shaveing method.

After using this cream for about a week now it seams that the curse is gone and that is without using pre-shave oil.:001_smile

I use the Merkur Futur razor and Men-u premium shaving brush.

Thumbs up for Truefitt and Hill 1805:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a very good cream. As expected with T&H, the quailty is top notch. I do seem to have to use a bit more cream than others but the slickness is it's reward. The scent is not one of my favorites but I do enjoy it. Very clean smelling.
A friend bought this soap for me and it came to almost $55 at the T&H Toronto store. I will gladly say I will not be buying any products in the near future from that store.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)