What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street

Item Description

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Herbal Shaving Soap is one of the many offerings of a hard milled ~100g cake in a wooden bowl. In this case, the soap fills the bowl up to the rim. The presentation is nice, and on the upper end of the scale. It is priced accordingly as well (street = ~$22 for soap & bowl, ~$12 for soap refill)

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

This was the first soap/cream product that I got after switching from electric/Mach 3/canned foam. I had no idea what sandalwood should smell like, so I took this as it. However, I now know this to not be the case now. Additionally, every manufacturer seems to have their interpretation of what a sandalwood scent should be. See Scotto's Sandalwood Week review thread for more information on other manufacturers' products & scent interpretation. I am fine with the scent of Taylor's sandalwood in this soap. It winds up being fairly neutral, so I can use it to layer with different bath soaps, aftershaves, EdTs, etc.

Taylor is one of the 3T's for a reason. This particular soap makes a very thick, rich, hydrated lather. It has never failed to produce lather in this manner for me either. Here are some example photos:

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

I find the shave that I get to be very good with this soap. There is enough cushion from the lather, but a good amount of glide as well (I primarily use straight razors). I think it is a worthy addition to anyone's shave den because of it's performance and complementary fragrance.

Here is this review's discussion thread.

Latest reviews

Pros: good price attractive wood bowl great smell
Cons: none
the best sandalwood I have found love the wood bowl, this is my daily soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Outstanding lather
Cons: Drying
The ToBS sandalwood soap was one of the first shave soaps I ever purchased, having only recently converting to a traditional wet shaver. Overall I have been very pleased. I found it to lather better than my AoS or mystic water hard soaps, and the scent is very pleasing. I was accustomed to the AoS sandalwood scent, which was very warm, woody, and masculine. The ToBs sandalwood is a bit flowery/soapy smelling compared to the AoS interpretation, but no less pleasant. The only complaint I have is the soap seems to dry my face out unless I re wet it after every pass before re lathering. I also purchased their sandalwood cream, and prefer this for its ease of lather and fragrance longevity over the hard soap.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, Lather, Moisturising properties
Cons: A little pricey
This was the first shave soap i ever bought and although it was pricey at nearly $45 the bowl will last a long time and the refills are much cheaper.

The lather this creates smells incredible, lasts the whole shave and produces enough easily for 3 passes. I have been using this now for a month nearly every other day and i haven't even scratched the surface so although pricey i think this will last for a long time.

I love how this leaves my face after shaving and the scent is strong enough to smell but subtle enough that it doesnt overpower any ASB or EDT if you want to wear that.

Highly recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing