4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Howdy All,

I’ve been using my Savile Row ‘big ***’ brush that I got from QED for about two weeks now, so I thought I’d write a review.

The brush’s product ID is “SR12T” (however QED has it listed under “SR212”). It’s a super badger brush with a 30mm knot, and a nice faux-tortoise handle that’s a translucent amber.

Now for some pictorial goodness:

The brush:
full03.jpg

full04.jpg

Some close-ups:
bristles.jpg

closeup.jpg

inside.jpg

An overhead shot:
overhead.jpg

Next to a quarter for comparison to show how big this darned thing is:
quarter.jpg

Next to my handmade Damascus knife with a buffalo horn handle to show how beautiful this darned knife is (I thought it might be a nice pairing with the faux-tortoise… if the tortoise weren’t so faux, it would be):
knife02.jpg

knife01.jpg

The soak:
soak.jpg

What I’ve dubbed the ‘money shot’:
moneyshot.jpg

A dip in the Trumper’s Coconut Oil Shaving Cream tub:
somecream.jpg

After several swirls (don’t ask me to define ‘several’):
firstswirl.jpg

Some (and by some, I mean a veritable boat load) beautiful lather after several more swirls:
lathered.jpg

lathered01.jpg

lathered03.jpg

handlather02.jpg

handlather.jpg

Impressions:

I have to say, I thoroughly enjoy this brush, and for only $82.00, it appears to be good value for the money. As you can clearly see, it whips up shaving cream like Mr. T going to town on a pitiable fool. I haven’t had great results yet using it on soaps, as the bristles appear to be a little soft for that task, but the jury’s still out on that one as I am much more versed with creams. I will say, it does a fantastic job on my B&B shave stick. After applying stick to face, and then brush to face, I end up with a TON of rich, creamy, thick lather (just like with creams).

The feel of the brush is well balanced. The handle fills the hand nicely which makes for an easy, quick, air-infusing swirl. It seems to retain water fairly well. For the sake of the higher ground, I'll refrain from making a Rosie O'Donnell joke here, but sufficed to say, it does the job nicely.

Another plus of this big brush is it really traps in the heat. The first time I used it I was pleasantly surprised to find the lather in it still fairly warm when I went around for pass #2. All in all, I am very pleased with the brush, and have yet to be disappointed by it.

Cheers,

-Nick
Top Bottom