What's new

Proraso sapone da barba (green tub)

Pros: menthol, lather
Cons: none
I received mine through a PIF and so price was #1 in my book. This stuff lathers up well and the menthol is nicely balanced and not overwhelming.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather, price, the feel of it in my pores, post shave
Cons: none
I love using Proraso in the green tub. Eucalyptus & menthol felt great during the shave and afterwards, for hours in fact. It lathered very well and easily, the price was great and it is carried by most reputable online stores.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Newbie proof
Cons: Nil.
A little clarification on the above scores and comments. Shaver Shop in Australia totally rips on price but I simply had to get a tub and couldn't wait for an online delivery (have since found MUCH cheaper local carriers).

In terms of newbie proof being a 2 month "veteran" of wet shaving I find that I can much more easily and consistently achieve gorgeous lather with this stuff than any of my much more expensive English soaps (love them too!).

Scent is a deal breaker for some and proraso, like cella and tabac, polarizes opinions. For me it works and I also enjoy that mentholly goodness every time I use it.

Layered over the proraso preshave and finished with the AS I get to enjoy my own "Italian Job" every day.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: East to Lather.
Cons: None at this price.
I normally need to apply a balm after shaving but when using this soap I only need to apply Proraso Splash so this product must be doing something right. The lather isn't in the same league as MWF for example, but at this price I didn't expect it to.

It has a much milder menthol hit than Ingram's cream making it more usable on a colder morning. All round I think it is a good quality, standard soft soap, if there is such a thing. Great value.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice eucalyptus scent and not over bearing.
Cons: The sensation may not suit me for everyday use.
Lathers very well for a thck slippery lather using a boar brush properly soaked and wrung out. Very Tingly sensation, although it initially felt a little hot. Some people would sense this as cooling. A good product but likely not my goto soap.
-------------amended-----------------------------------------
Second day: I have begun to appreciate the menthol cooling and really enjoy the fresh smell in the morning. First impressions are not always the best.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I don't know if I've used it enough yet to give a good review but so far, I like this soap. I'm alternating it with Cella and I think I like this better than the Cella - except the Cella scent can't be beat. I really like the camphor, eucalyptus, menthol thing going on in the formula. It is cooling but not not so strong as pure menthol. Like others have mentioned, it is reminiscent of Noxema. It's intriguing and I think people should give it a try.

I'm really stuck on Arko because of its simplicity and being the absolutely cheapest proper shaving soap on the market. But, I would rather add variety to my shaving with soaps than changing brands of blades or razors. I've decided to try not to have a favorite soap so I will keep trying different ones.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This one of my favorites, works great, lathers well, does not leave you a dry feeling on skin after you are done, Cooling effect is great, Whether new or old in the wet shaving....recommend this product higly..I personally use all there products and think they are excellent and not expensive.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
The green tub Proraso (or black tub Omega) is a one of those soaps that you either love or hate. It works, but has its own way of doing its thing.

Smell = None really. Unlike most high end soaps that concentrate on lather and smell, the Proraso concentrates on sensation. With the Proraso, its all about the cool - its like shaving with Aqua Velva.

Lather = Works better with a boar brush than a badger. With a badger it takes a bit of work to get a decent lather up and you need to regularly reload the brush - i.e its fricking annoying. With a boar, you can use the stiffer hairs of the brush as a shovel, load up the brush, and make the lather directly on your face.

Moisturizing and Efficacy = It gets the job done. Once you get the lather on your face, it lubricates and moisturizes.

Summary = If you are a fan of the Velva, this is the soap for you. I really began to appreciate it when it started to get really cold. Shaved with the Proraso, nice little cool. Splashed on some Aqua Velva Ice, more cool. Went out side, uber cool.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
For me this soap is not the best............but very close behind. I bought this as my first DE soap and have never questioned it's ability. The first time I used it I knew it was good. I even used it to 'save the day' last week when trialing another shaving cream that wasn't up to much . The scent isn't strong, but slight and appealing, as is the 'cooling effect' from it's mentholated ingredients, not too chilling - but nice. It provides a great cushion for your razor to glide on. Not the most moisturising soap, but won't dry you out either. If I was asked to describe it in a few words, I would have to say - Quality stuff that should be in every wet shavers kit. Buy it if you haven't!:biggrin:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
There aren't many products that I just don't like, but this is one of them. It's not bad, just uninspiring.
Very interesting consistency, but not the star of the Proraso portfolio.:thumbdown
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This cost me EUR1.50 in a Milanese supermarket. That's approx. GBP1.00 or USD1.80. CHEAP!!!

It takes a while to foam up, I reload my brush with a little more soap and water for each pass. Gives a nice lather, soft and creamy. No drag on the razor and aids the blade in slicing off hair.

Very gently cooling on the skin. Comfortable.

Does not dry out my face.

Great value for money.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I find this soap is very cooling and slick. It is not one I would use with a badger brush though, because the lanolin in it can clog the brstles. I used a Burma Shave bristle brush when I used it aqnd that was ok, but it is not the same feeling as lathering with a good brush.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
So far, I haven't seen anyone specifically address the actual feel of this product on your skin while shaving. When I think of eucalyptus, I think of stinging and really cold feeling on my face. But I've been wrong before. Could someone comment based on personal experience?
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
The Prorazo (or Omega) in the tub is great stuff and I think its better than the tube.

Again, it's got that love it or hate it eucalyptus scent, but you can't argue with the fact that it lathers and shaves great. I often use this with my Omega bristle brush for a genuine Italian barbershop experience.

It also works great brushless - the trick is taking a small amount of the soap (which is very thick in consistency) and rubbing it between dry palms before applying it to your pre-moistened kisser, then massage vigorously and add watter as needed. You won't get gobs of lather, but you will get a great shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I began using this great soap several years ago when I received it from my brother-in-law. I enjoyed it right off the bat, because it reminded me of my old-time Noxzema lather cream. Now, this soap hasn't got a fragrant scent, and perhaps it's just a bit lacking in the way of moisturization, but everything else about it makes it a winner! :smile: It's so nice and cooling, which makes for a terrific summer morning shave, and price-wise, 150 ml for just 7 bucks or so makes it almost a steal! Great for shavers on a budget.

Jeff
Top Bottom