What's new

Prairie Creations tallow shaving soap

Item Description

I had read all sorts of testimonials here on the forum regarding Krissy's fine tallow soap, but dismissed them from my own mind because I had yet to encounter an artisan soap that was better than any of the top quality commercial offerings that were available. But I continued to have problems of one form or another with the commercial soaps, so I finally ordered a bowl of Prairie Creations Tallow Shaving Soap in lime scent.

Wow - what a revelation!

Here was a tallow shaving soap that handily beat the competition on all points:

• Price - $8.00 per 5.25 oz plastic container (as ordered for this review) or $6.50 per 5.25 oz refill puck. An unbelievable bang for the buck, as most of her commercial competition starts their refill pucks at $13 and up for a 3.5 oz puck.
  • Quality - The soap is a poured solid product that is consistent throughout. It is opaque, without any artificial coloring and is delivered in a mid-weight resealable plastic container. The soap is filled up to the very brim of the container, ensuring the buyer is getting every penny's worth of their purchase.
  • Scent - The scent of the lime fragrance oil - in this review - that Krissy uses is very clean and light. It lasts through the length of the shave but drys down quickly afterward, so as not to interfere with aftershaves or colognes.
  • Lather - The lather has to be felt on one's face to be believed. The lather produced is super moist, dense and lubricating, and leaves the face so supple that aftershave balms aren't required. It's very easy to create a wonderful lather; just be sure to load the brush thoroughly with soap and add water sparingly during the mixing process.
  • Efficacy - I've been using this container now for a month and have only used about an eighth of it. A little goes a long way.
  • Moisturizing - The tallow, combined with the aloe vera and wheat protein, makes for an unbeatable combination. Prior to this review I had been using Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) shaving soap, another tallow heavyweight that I had established as my baseline to judge against. Prairie Creations leave MWF in the dust when it comes to moisturizing properties - there simply is no comparison.
One thing additional feature I discovered is that the Prairie Creations tallow soap can easily be removed from the plastic container, kneaded into a ball and pressed into any other soap bowl one cares to use (see my review photo above).

If you're looking for a dynamite shaving soap for an excellent price - look no further. Krissy has you covered.

Latest reviews

Great soaps. I like the scents. They are different and not everybody will feel the same way. Each scent has a bit of a twist to it. Not your run of the mill scents. Skin feels great after using her soaps. Got two of her cream samples on my last order. (Bedford Falls & Bamboo) - they are light and understated, but great. Her shave sticks are terrific!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I have 3 Prairie Creations Tallow and Lanolin soaps.

I won't waste any time here, I'll just say that they are flat out better than any other artisan soap I've tried.

Significantly better than Mama Bear's, SCS, Honeybee Sue's, QED and all the rest.

The two that I like the best are the Facial Blend and the Lavender Essential Oil. Facial Blend has a healthy dose of peppermint and tea tree oil. I like both of these and so does my skin.

The lavender has a clean, true lavender scent and it compares well with any of my other lavender soaps (T&H, Harris, eShave, MdC)

The one blend I bought that I do not care for (from a scent standpoint) is the Lemongrass and Sage. I can barely detect any scent but sometimes my nose works that way. (for example, I can't smell T&H 1805 but all the other T&H scents come through for me)

From a lathering/shave performance/skin care perspective these are first class soaps. The PC soaps I've tried that are formulated with essential oils smell great.

I like the Facial Blend and Lavender so much I've bought replacement pucks that will keep me stocked up for years (maybe decades - I have way too many soaps in rotation) :blushing:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've got the unscented version of this soap - not sure if the wheat protein is in mine... Works great. IMO, it's better than most of the other 'big boys' out there and it's half the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)