What's new

Penhaligon's English Fern

Item Description

I tend to classify colognes in a couple of categories. There is the "integrated" category (I am a cologne, and I smell nice), and the "evocative" category (the scent brings about a mood). This one is in the evocative category. It is a scent that is a bit hard to describe if you haven't smelled it, but it starts out with a strong sweet/minty component (not true mint, but more of a sharp lavender mintiness), mixed with a complex herbal note including thyme, geranium, and moss. It reminds one of walking through the English countryside, hound by your side, swells of clouds racing overhead, and the joy of life in your lungs. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest scents out there, period, and is probably the best warm weather scent that I have in my reportoire. If you haven't tried Penhaligon's, this is the one to get. Really a classic.

This review is being discussed here.

Latest reviews

I was scared to pick this up without SWMBO to smell it because of the mixed reviews. Well after spraying it on a paper strip and letting it develop I really found to like it. At first I was unsure but as the earthy side of the scent came about I really enjoyed it. The lady even said "it just smells clean." Which was a compliment. At the end of the day it reminded me of a clubman pinaud scent (the original green bottle) with its powdery fresh smell.

It truly did last all day as...I missed the paper the first time and sprayed my hand. Even after washing my hands I could still smell it.

I think the scent is very hit or miss with people. You'll either love it or hate it but you need to let it develop before you make a final decision on it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I love that clean green fern smell. This is strictly a evening cologne and a very good one. I recommend this highly.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff - one of my top two or three fragrances. I agree that the opening is a bit sharp but it mellows very well. It is obviously similar to Trumper's Wild Fern but it has a bit more complexity to my mind (though it does not evolve much) and much better staying power. So, while the cost per unit is relatively high - it is more efficient.

As to the rest of the criteria: it is Penhaligon's. What else do you want?
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Scotto
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from Scotto

Top Bottom