What's new

Penhaligon's English Fern

I was scared to pick this up without SWMBO to smell it because of the mixed reviews. Well after spraying it on a paper strip and letting it develop I really found to like it. At first I was unsure but as the earthy side of the scent came about I really enjoyed it. The lady even said "it just smells clean." Which was a compliment. At the end of the day it reminded me of a clubman pinaud scent (the original green bottle) with its powdery fresh smell.

It truly did last all day as...I missed the paper the first time and sprayed my hand. Even after washing my hands I could still smell it.

I think the scent is very hit or miss with people. You'll either love it or hate it but you need to let it develop before you make a final decision on it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I love that clean green fern smell. This is strictly a evening cologne and a very good one. I recommend this highly.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff - one of my top two or three fragrances. I agree that the opening is a bit sharp but it mellows very well. It is obviously similar to Trumper's Wild Fern but it has a bit more complexity to my mind (though it does not evolve much) and much better staying power. So, while the cost per unit is relatively high - it is more efficient.

As to the rest of the criteria: it is Penhaligon's. What else do you want?
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
This scent epitomizes "fougere" to me -- clean, crisp, and unique. I feel very confident wearing this. One must wear this scent in small doses, as it is powerful and can overwhelm if not careful when applying. It is a bit intense upon first application, but dries down nicely to be well-mannered, classy, and understated. The atomizer is first rate -- I am one of those who prefers to squeeze out a few drops onto my index finger and apply to each side of my neck, and this atomizer allows a steady and even dispensing of the juice. I never thought I would be that impressed by packaging, but Penhaligon's really knows how to do it right!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I am basing my review on a sample vial, so I can't comment on packaging or atomizer.

The scent opens with a sharp, nearly painful sweetness that initially put me off. To my nose, this and Endymion start off very similar. But while Enymion stays cloyingly sweet, English Fern dries down to a very nice, fern and moss scent. This is not my favorite scent and it won't get a place in rotation. But it is quite nice if you like this sort of scent and you allow it to settle down a bit. That doesn't take long and the wait is worth it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
This is a beautiful green fern fragrance that is so terrific, you will recognize from the first whiff that this is a unique fragrance. That is, it's not like anything can be purchased at the Mall. Green, rich, luscious, earthy and sophisticated, EF is one of the best from this distinguished house. A must try and for a "mature" guy, probably a must have. Will be appreciated most by those of a mature mind. ONLY caveat, it could last longer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
A really wonderful scent, starts of with a slightly tarter green than I was expecting but quickly settles down to the most beautiful smooth plant like notes. Absolutely magical, and lasts well - OK not as well as something like Black Aoud but still pretty good and more than sufficient for an evening out. Highly recommended.
At first spray, this cologne came across as downright disgusting to me. I can appreciate green, herbaceous, bracing scents. And bracing this one is. It literally reminded me of the scent of evergreen-based cleaners used in restrooms at airports, fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc. It is a very sharp, mentholated, camphorous urinal cake smell. In fact, it also reminds me a bit of when I was in my veterinary medicine labs and there would be the preserved specimens of whatever animal or parts of animal in jars. In the more modern specimens, they would use a formalin mixture that was scented with a very wintergreeny-camphor smell. :07:

I decided, though, that I would give it a fair try (after all, the smell of carrion in July is worse than this) and I applied some. I WILL say that those strong, eye-watering, burning evergreen scents fade away and leave behind a much milder clean, fresh, soapy smell. However, I think I can get the same effect from a bar of Irish Spring soap for 1/20th the price and without the 30 minutes or so of burning nostrils. I couldn't justify spending the $90 for the 100ml bottle and while I didn't mind the dry down, it's not a smell I would or could ever wear again.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
When your nose first detects it, Creme de Menthe comes to mind. Which for me is unfortunate. I hate that smell. But it is soon followed by the mossy, herbacious scent it's known for. Unfortunately, the artificial minty smell kills the rest of it. I must admit as minutes, if not hours go by, it does improve, but not enough to save it. Sadly, this is my least favorite of their lineup.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Good stuff; a bit headier than Green Irish Tweed, but in the same neighborhood. A bit pricey at retail and longevity isn't great, but the richness, warmth and freshness of it makes it worth it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I bought a gentleman's sample box with the four scents; Blenheim Bouquet, Quercus, English Fern and Endymion. I already have tried BB and Endymion and like both but before I go the extra mile and buy a 50ml or 100ml bottle of BB I thought I would get this.

English Fern. When I sniffed the paper card at the store it never really apealed to me. 'I don't think I'll like that' I'd think. But I put it on Yesterday and today and I just can't get enough of this scent. I put it on at 6:00am and a small dab on my neck, shirt and wrist after lunch and I am basking in greenery all day long. As another reviewer mentioned, you can smell it on you especially in smaller spaces. And this I love.

I don't know that this is only a warm weather scent as this kind of scent actually reminds me of Fall weather. And I think it extremely appropriate for the present season. Granted, the present temps here in Tokyo are still high twenties - low thirties but it is cooler than the hot weather.

All in all I think this is a wonderful scent and am enjoying it right now.:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
Okay, this review is from a Scotto sample, so my comments on the Atomiser and Packaging are 'from afar', but Penhaligon's is a quality shop, so I assume there is quality in this.

Staying power ... yeah, it sure does stick around. No qualms there. Provided you like the scent ...

I don't. Nope, reminds me quite a bit of Rub A5-35. Some people love this scent, and that's fine. To me, ugh. Mind you, the A5-35 part wears off after a while, leaving other scents, but still not really a winner in my book. If this is your cup of tea, you will not be disappointed. If you are thinking of gettng this one for the first time, try a sample first!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Definitely a warm-weather scent, too cool for winter. As with other Penhaligon's scents, this one sticks around a little too long for my liking: Especially in enclosed spaces, you smell yourself all the time (and so will eveybody else). In summer, of course, it provides lasting refreshment. The scent itself is OK, but not my favourite Penhaligon's (which are Douro (aka Lords) and Blenheim Bouquet).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Maybe I'm just not a "Fern" guy. This is great stuff, no doubt, but possibly due to body chemistry, it's just not powerful enough for me, and dissipates much too quickly.

I wish we had a rating for power, not to be confused with staying power. A subtle scent may last hours, and an initially overwhelming scent may fade quickly. It would be nice to know everyone's opinion in regards to strength.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I didn't care too much for this scent. The only way I can descibe it is Gin. It is very complex and in other respects a fine product, but it just makes me feel like I spend too many hours in the country club bar.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
One of my favorites.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I had to rate this one a 10 for staying power. I have never seen staying power like this. Something like 12 hours on me (and I could still detect it). I feel like the guy who drenches himself in cheap cologne when I wear this one.

It is good stuff. Just too potent on my skin. Does anyone know if this is out of the EDT range or not?

Sorry to keep ranting about it - but this is the first time I've had a chance to review.

-Gerald
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
WOW..This is a fantastic scent. The fragrance is so crisp and clean, it just evokes class and elegance. This fragrance is MADE for the hot summer months, it just cools off the mind & soul. I'm not joking. It really has a calming affect that is just so attractive. I've gotten so many compliments wearing this cologne. This is a definite keeper. Guys, EVERYONE should try English Fern. Penhaligon's has a winner here. Big time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Outstanding scent! Personally it is my favorite "fern" scent, and I simply adore how penhaligons fragarances seem to "evolve" throughout the day as you wear them. This is a definate winner in my book!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I'm making my comments based on a sample. So price and Quality of Atomizer are copied from Scotto's review.

I'd have to agree with everything that Scotto said except for the scent. It's not one of my favorites, but I didn't think it smelled bad. However, my wife and sister-in-law turned their nose up it something fierce. Putting it on got an even worse reaction. Maybe I just had a bad sample?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)